SIGforum
Okay, maybe it's time for a Garand, but I have some questions

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8170061764

March 03, 2020, 12:12 PM
Loswsmith
Okay, maybe it's time for a Garand, but I have some questions
So I've been thinking a lot about getting a Garand, mostly to have a piece of history, some because my dad did drill (which he LOVED) with one, and partly because it's just cool. It will almost certainly be some sort of safe queen as I don't really want to have another expensive (compared to .22, .223, .308 and 9mm, my calibers now) to own. So with that said, I've been thinking a lot about the CMP M1s. Are they worth it? I get the feeling like I'm picking the last kids standing in a dodgeball game. And then going out to buy one on the market seems questionable too since me, personally, has no real knowledge of one. I gave some thought to having a smith like benny6 build one, but that would kill the history aspect.

What's a guy who's feeling like he waited to long (or, to be more honest I guess, finally gotten to that number on the bucket list) to do?

Should I just do the CMP route? Build one? Buy from a reputable dealer? Just who (besides the CMP) is a reputable dealer?

I feel like Forky (for those with kids and the Disney channel).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
March 03, 2020, 12:29 PM
RNshooter
Get one in 308 if you don't want another caliber.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
March 03, 2020, 12:32 PM
Loswsmith
So I thought about that, but the CMP is out of .308 (again because I waited) so I'm left with trying to find out out in the 'Verse or along the Interwebs. With no one along to hold my hand. So where and what to look for or buy?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

March 03, 2020, 12:42 PM
RNshooter
Wait for more to be made in 308 or buy a 30-06 from CMP. You will know the quality of the rifle, if you buy it from them.
The CMP Special is a helluva value.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
March 03, 2020, 12:54 PM
Loswsmith
I didn't know the .308s at the CMP were continually being made. That's good to know. Thanks!

March 03, 2020, 03:00 PM
92fstech
Check out this thread https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6100096164 for details from some of us who recently ordered CMP "Special Rack Grade" guns. I've been very pleased with mine, and both my brothers also got one, and have been very happy with theirs (I haven't had a chance to see theirs in person yet since they're both out of state).

These are not the most collectible of the variants available, but it's a great way to get a nice shooter for a great price.
March 03, 2020, 04:04 PM
David Lee
As some have posted, the CMP is a good way to own a piece of history in the rifle. Dont fret about 06 ammo being expensive as pleanty can be found on line for sale. You must shoot it some if you buy one. No other rifle quite like a M1. As to your question about a reputable dealer who sells the rifles, skibbit because they wont sell you one for less than the CMP. I know a couple dealers who, if they even smell parts of the rifle may have seen some action, double or triple its price. Factly, your rifle from the CMP comes with ligitamate documentation to be from a US storage facility as Goverment Property.
March 03, 2020, 04:35 PM
cas
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
...CMP M1s. Are they worth it?

Far and away the best deal you will get on an M1.

It always puzzled me years ago to see people paying $800-$1200 for a run of the mill one that you could get from the CMP for $450

March 03, 2020, 05:25 PM
airsoft guy
[Killjoy]Don't forget the M1 Garand is an assault weapon here in Washington, subject to 1639's bullshit.[/killjoy]

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
March 03, 2020, 07:24 PM
M1Garandy
quote:
So I've been thinking a lot about getting a Garand, mostly to have a piece of history, some because my dad did drill (which he LOVED) with one, and partly because it's just cool. It will almost certainly be some sort of safe queen as I don't really want to have another expensive (compared to .22, .223, .308 and 9mm, my calibers now) to own. So with that said, I've been thinking a lot about the CMP M1s. Are they worth it? I get the feeling like I'm picking the last kids standing in a dodgeball game. And then going out to buy one on the market seems questionable too since me, personally, has no real knowledge of one. I gave some thought to having a smith like benny6 build one, but that would kill the history aspect.

What's a guy who's feeling like he waited to long (or, to be more honest I guess, finally gotten to that number on the bucket list) to do?

Should I just do the CMP route? Build one? Buy from a reputable dealer? Just who (besides the CMP) is a reputable dealer?

I feel like Forky (for those with kids and the Disney channel).

Worth it, yes though the Philippine rifles don't seem to be as nice on average as the Greek rifles were though they probably have more history/served longer. This will give you some idea what the CMP is seeing in this batch of rifles: http://thegca.org/the-cmp-and-the-philippine-garands/

Go the CMP route.

Building one is tough unless you can find a nice USGI or Italian receiver on the cheap which is rare these days. The rest of the parts are out there and prices are down.

If you want .308 rather than .30-'06, and Special Grades are still sold out it is only a barrel change away. No other parts are needed.
March 03, 2020, 07:39 PM
357fuzz
The CMP route. I would think it is a safe bet a lot of the Garands you see at gun shows or shops are CMP Garands someone is peddling for double the money.

Get one in 30-06. Not that big of a deal. If you feel like you must have it in .308 get a barrel for it. Criterion and Douglas make nice ones. You may want to get the block that goes in front the rounds when the enbloc is inserted so no one accidentally tries to stuff a 30-06 in the chamber.
March 03, 2020, 09:24 PM
low8option
If you have the time available check out the CMP advance maintenance course. It's a build your own rifle course taught by CMP people who do this for a living. I did it a few years ago and love shooting a M1 that I built myself. I also own another one, a service grade I picked up about fifteen years ago from CMP. If you are buying, CMP is the way to go.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment
March 04, 2020, 10:58 AM
1KPerDay
Garands are frickin cool. If you only get one it should be in .30-06 IMO. CMP or second hand CMP is the best way to go. Fascinating and amazingly reliable mechanical puzzles.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
March 05, 2020, 10:59 PM
fatmanspencer
What do you do if you have no local clubs that CMP recognizes? I noticed it was a requirement

Used guns deserve a home too
March 05, 2020, 11:03 PM
brywards
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
What do you do if you have no local clubs that CMP recognizes? I noticed it was a requirement

Just join a national club like Garand Collectors Association for a small fee.
March 06, 2020, 04:12 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
[Killjoy]Don't forget the M1 Garand is an assault weapon here in Washington, subject to 1639's bullshit.[/killjoy]

Also note that even before the most recent laws and I-1639, the CMP wouldn’t ship to your door in Washington state, it had to go through an FFL. So be prepared to handle the transfer fees, and possibly the 10% “usage fee” tax.

That’s not to discourage you, just realize those are things specific to our state that others may not know and chime in about.

March 06, 2020, 07:40 AM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:

Just join a national club like Garand Collectors Association for a small fee.

My brother did this since he's not a member of any clubs. Iirc it was $25 for a membership, and he didn't have to wait for his card to come in...he just printed out the order confirmation page and sent it in with his CMP order and they accepted it.
March 06, 2020, 10:22 AM
Loswsmith
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

One of the reasons I took the plunge and got my FFL. 'Cause fuck them.

March 06, 2020, 10:24 AM
Loswsmith
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
...CMP M1s. Are they worth it?

Far and away the best deal you will get on an M1.

It always puzzled me years ago to see people paying $800-$1200 for a run of the mill one that you could get from the CMP for $450

Yeah, but I missed that boat 'cause I was dumb. No more of those.

March 06, 2020, 10:26 AM
Loswsmith
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Check out this thread https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6100096164 for details from some of us who recently ordered CMP "Special Rack Grade" guns. I've been very pleased with mine, and both my brothers also got one, and have been very happy with theirs (I haven't had a chance to see theirs in person yet since they're both out of state).

These are not the most collectible of the variants available, but it's a great way to get a nice shooter for a great price.

I had been looking for that, I had thought you were talking about the .308s which are now gone. Thanks!