SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Leupold scope question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold scope question Login/Join 
Picture of aguilar64
posted
Good evening,
I just picked up a LEUPOLD VARI—X-III 6.5x20 and was wondering what type of application could I use it for, I have a few Ruger’s 10-22’s, AR 22’s, AR223’s and a few 308’s. They all have their respective scopes and wanted to know if it was worth the hassle to swap one of them with the LEUPOLD?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2192 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I owned that sight long ago, and a friend has something similar in Mark 4.

With that magnification range, and especially with 6.5× at the low end, I and most shooters, I believe, would put it on a rifle intended and suitable for long range shooting and small targets. The only thing I used mine for was hunting prairie dogs with a Ruger 77 in 22-250. After I discovered I couldn’t spot my hits with it set on 20× and had to dial it down, I sold it and switched to a fixed 12 power that still worked as well as I wanted.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It would not make sense on the .22 rim fires which, although some people shoot a bit past 100 yards, are not really intended for the long range shooting that scope is intended for. It might work on the .308's if they are set up for longer range.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since all your rifles have scopes, I believe you need another rifle. Ruger precision in 6.5 perhaps? Happy shopping. Smile

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
Actually I'm getting a Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor.

― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2192 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aguilar64:
Actually I'm getting a Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 Creedmoor.

That would definitely be the rifle for the 6.5-20.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
I guess I won't have to buy a Vortex then. Thanks for all the info.

― Ted Nugent

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Perfect scope for a 6.5 CM in gas or bolt.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
That scope sounds ideal for target shooting or prairie dogging. Another use would be checking the accuracy with a particular rifle, then swapping to lower power later.

It's a bit much or the average, 'woods' hunting rifle. It may also be a mismatch of sorts if desiring a compact setup.

I like to somewhat match any scope to the rifle. My more compact deer rifle has a Leupold 2.5-8 pwr, plenty for the average 75 yard shot.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
It would not make sense on the .22 rim fires which, although some people shoot a bit past 100 yards, are not really intended for the long range shooting that scope is intended for. It might work on the .308's if they are set up for longer range.

Huh?

Is that not the EFR version?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Is that not the EFR version?

I don’t know about the original poster’s sight, but if you’re asking if all 6.5-20× Vari-X III scopes had the extended focal range, no, not all did. The one I have now does, the one I had years ago didn’t.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I agree that vari-x III would be a good option for the 6.5CM. I have that scope and the 8.5-25X version. I use the higher powered one on my F-Class rifle but I kind of need to replace it with a more powerful one because the F-Class targets are really really small and 25X doesn't quite cut it. But unless you're shooting at really really little targets, the 6.5-20X should do you well.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post