SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Keltec RFB. Update - Yes please, more.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Keltec RFB. Update - Yes please, more. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted

I'd been wanting one of these since I heard they existed. A marriage of some of my favorite things, an AUG, an FAL, and some innovation.

Well, success.

I since moved the Elcan back, so that the mount screw doesn't interfere with the charging handle, and it's better for use of the scope anyway.

It's not for people who think over 8lbs, and some recoil, are dealbreakers. But for those who want range and power in a compact package, it's something to consider.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arcwelder,

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of testfire
posted Hide Post
Congrats arc, I know you have been looking at them for a while. I like mine. Hope you enjoy it. I'm running a primary arms 1-6x on mine which works pretty well. Range report after some play time?

Kydex cheek piece on the stock helps in really cold weather as well.

Posts: 386 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: May 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Surely.

The Elcan is a surplus optic for the M240b. It's graduated well beyond what I intend to shoot it at, but the illuminated portion is useful.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
7.62X51?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have about 40rds through a friend's RFB.

Interesting how the brass poops out the front left side.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They are pretty cool, a bit pricey to me given how KT is considered a "budget" brand with brand new pistols from $200-$300

I'm very happy with my Sub2000 and P-32 and love how they have set themselves aside from the pack with these designs.

How long until some Kel-Tec haters come to poop in your thread, Arc?

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Let's leave that to Fat Bastard, from Austin Powers:
- Where's your shitter? I've got a turtle-head poking out.
- I've got a crap on deck that could choke a donkey.

Arc -- what are your thoughts so far on accuracy, handling, and whatever else?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
7.62X51?

Yes, and it takes metric FAL mags.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Well, in this case I'll wait patiently while someone comes up with another 30cal bullpup to compare this to.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Arc -- what are your thoughts so far on accuracy, handling, and whatever else?

I haven't shot it yet, but when I do I have a variety of ammo to put through it, from a spam can of Chinese copper wash, to FGMM. Really I wouldn't expect it to be worth feeding a regular diet of match ammo, but as long as it delivers battle rifle accuracy, that's all I would expect.

It's got a great trigger for a bullpup, and in many ways is comfortable. The Elcan is exactly the right height, and as long as it runs reliably, I'll be happy. Which is very likely.

Arc.

Picture of testfire
posted Hide Post
Accuracy on mine is about grapefruit at 100 yards. Barks very loud, but recoil seems mild to me compared to other.308's. I've never run match grade ammo through it to see what it is capable of, and have normally just loaded up whatever cheaper ammo I have sitting there. Haven't actually bothered to adjust the gas system in quite some time, and it still runs fine. Now that winter is finally getting over, I may have to take it out again and play! Smile

Posts: 386 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: May 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Arc!
I’ll meet you at Woburn sportsman’s club anytime. I’ll bring the Ammo!

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed my RFB Hunter but ended up selling it last fall to help pay some bills. I had the gas system dialed in perfectly and just got a hair under MOA accuracy with handloads. I have my 2nd longest hunting kill with it @ 356yds on a big doe on the far side of a peanut field. Mine worked best with Thermold magazines but IMO I wished that they went with a magazine that I could load a round with a longer OAL as the FAL magazine limits cartridge length than other mags. It's definitely a fun rifle to shoot and it seems like everyone wants to give a few pulls on the trigger when they see it at the range...so be prepared for the gawkers Wink

FG42 Type G, Ruger GSR, P250 Compact 9mm w/45ACP Compact conversion, H&K VP9 & other cool stuff.

100% disabled veteran

Posts: 696 | Location: central NC | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool Arc... never heard of this before.

It has my interest.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Not quite yet, but on the way.

https://iwi.net/tavor/tavor-7/

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Well, in this case I'll wait patiently while someone comes up with another 30cal bullpup to compare this to.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's one I ran into at a shoot in 2008.

Posts: 107255 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been intrigued by these since they came out. Very interested in your thoughts as you work with you new rifle. I missed the boat when PSA had a deal on them about a year or so ago. It's on my short list. Enjoy and keep us informed of your thoughts..

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle Arc! Looks like a fun rifle to shoot.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Not quite yet, but on the way.

https://iwi.net/tavor/tavor-7/

I'll look into my crystal ball:

First, people will complain about the price. Then, complain about the $400 trigger pack they have to buy to improve it. Then they'll complain it's too heavy... etc.

It's possible some militaries will adopt a 7.62 Tavor, and I doubt we'll see that with the RFB.

I'd say it's still a while before anyone can compare one to the RFB, and between the trigger on this thing and its ejection just for starters, I'm not compelled to buy a .308 tavor. The X95 is very tempting, I'd perhaps buy one if I didn't own an AUG. Ultimately the AUG wins out for me as far as how it handles and feels, the Tavor is very blocky, the AUG feels more natural.

The RFB isn't a small rifle, it looks like the Tavor 7 is slightly shorter, but similar in size. I'd definitely want to play with one. For living in MA though, the RFB allows me to use magazines that are "pre-ban," so that is also something that would dissuade me from a Tavor 7, unless one was available that took FAL or M14 mags.

Arc.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Arc.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Final range day before I start my new job. Very pleased with the RFB. Almost a case deep in now, narry a hiccup. Worked the Elcan in, here is what offhand at 100yds looks like:

Arc.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

I want one of those. Although I will probably go with a RDB because I am quite firmly vested in 5.56, to some extent because of wanting to shoot everything suppressed.

Very nice.....

I know some of the guys who work at Kel-Tec. Good people and they have some guys running their stuff hard to suss it out and make improvements.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post