SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The Keltec RFB. Update - Yes please, more.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Keltec RFB. Update - Yes please, more. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Considering the cost of a new, or even an old AUG, I'd be more interested in the RDB. Since I have an AUG, I was super interested in a .308 bullpup, that takes metric FAL mags. It's ideal for MA.

I might still pick up an X95... maybe. But I've very happy with this rifle so whenever they come out with the .308 Tavor, it's not something I'd do at this point.

The trigger is great for a bullpup, and I'm sure I can wring more accuracy out of this rifle, but as far as the current setup, it's mint.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine bought a Tavor, we took it to the outdoor range in the Ocala National Forest to break it in.

Love the weight and feel of the Tavor, the only thing I notice is you need to absolutely love snorting gasses after every shot.

With the ejection port right under your nose a full mag will clog you right up. I'd suggest wearing a surgical mask or some kind of face cover unless that stuff smells like victory to you.

Thats what I'd like to know abut the RFB, the bottom ejector does it eliminate the face full of blow back/ejection gasses because that would be a major plus.

I felt like I needed a shower and the netti pot after shooting the Tavor.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I was definitely not gassed after one or any number of rounds. The spent cases just slowly march out of the front of the rifle. Not throwing brass all over the place is a nice plus as well.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A friend of mine bought a Tavor, we took it to the outdoor range in the Ocala National Forest to break it in.

Love the weight and feel of the Tavor, the only thing I notice is you need to absolutely love snorting gasses after every shot.

With the ejection port right under your nose a full mag will clog you right up. I'd suggest wearing a surgical mask or some kind of face cover unless that stuff smells like victory to you.

Thats what I'd like to know abut the RFB, the bottom ejector does it eliminate the face full of blow back/ejection gasses because that would be a major plus.

I felt like I needed a shower and the netti pot after shooting the Tavor.

Good to know. If it was like that, imagine shooting it with a suppressor attached.

I am torn between an Aug and a RDB.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Final range day before I start my new job. Very pleased with the RFB. Almost a case deep in now, narry a hiccup. Worked the Elcan in, here is what offhand at 100yds looks like:

That's a pretty damn good group for offhand at 100 yards!

Its been several years ago but I enjoyed shooting the RFB.
What amazed me was how fast I could get successive shots on target.
The recoil was surprisingly light and the muzzle rise was negligible.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
That's not pretty damn good.

That's awesome.

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

I'm biased toward the AUG, but the ejection of the RDB has merits. Also, cost.

quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
That's not pretty damn good.

That's awesome.

Compared to other .308 rifles I have, it's OK. I'm satisfied for the day.

I can probably do a little better with this setup, maybe. Once I get more used to it.

It does look like there is great accuracy potential. That was slooow fire, and not holding the rifle up the whole time. It's just about the same as holding up the M14 or Garand for any amount of time. Too long and you'll be wobbling all over the place, too hasty and you're off.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Good to know. If it was like that, imagine shooting it with a suppressor attached.

I do, and it’s gassy as hell....

But it’s a damn compact package with full carbine velocity.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I’m interested in the RFB as well but internet lore has Keltec pistols with a limited lifespsan (5k IIRC) so I’ve been a little hesitant. Is there any accurate lifespan for the RFB? Of course, that would not include normal maintenance issues.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
but internet lore has Keltec pistols with a limited lifespsan (5k IIRC)

Absolutely not true. It’s “internet lore” for a reason.

I’ve never seen any documentation from KT about a 5,000 round lifespan and would say their pistols and rifles, if maintained, would last as long as anything else out there.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I’m interested in the RFB as well but internet lore has Keltec pistols with a limited lifespsan (5k IIRC) so I’ve been a little hesitant. Is there any accurate lifespan for the RFB? Of course, that would not include normal maintenance issues.

A pistol that has a "lifespan" of 5000 rounds, that just doesn't make sense. That's one recoil spring, the barrel is barely worn in, and the rest of the gun has lots and lots of life left in it. This is almost any gun you can think of.

As far as what the "accurate lifespan" of an RFB is, if it were 5000 rounds, that's only 10 cases of ammo....

5000 rounds is the average "accurate" lifespan of a competition rifle barrel, but the barrel isn't "worn out" exactly, thats just where peak accuracy begins to drop off.

The actual useful lifespan of a barrel can vary, due to what ammo and how often it's shot. The throat/headspace is what tells you it's time to change the barrel, and under normal, non machinegun use, this could be 30,000 or 50,000 rounds or more.

Now, as far as how long the rest of the gun lasts, I don't know, but for reference, an M1A or Garand receiver is good for about 150,000 rounds before you're going to crack the heel or elongate it.

When I worked at the range/shop, we had a rental Glock 17 with over 170,000 rounds through it. Things were replaced as needed, but as far as I know that was the original barrel. Seems ridiculous, but really, that thing _was_ a rented mule.

Guns last a really long time, and under "normal" use, you're unlikely to "wear out" a number of types of firearms. ARs, 1911s, bolt rifles, you name it.

So, in summary, I hereby dub anyone who declares the "lifespan" of almost any weapon to be 5000 rounds, an ass clown of the first order. 5 cases of handgun or 10 cases of rifle ammunition, is a summer of shooting for a lot of folks. A weapon that lasts 5000 rounds is hardly worth buying, much less engineering, manufacturing, marketing, and warrantying. Unless made by Harbor Freight as single use items.

Now, I would be curious myself how long Keltec expects an RFB to last, but something that has a controlled explosion right next to your face, simply needs to be of a given quality to be worth selling. Without getting sued by maimed people or their grieving families.

I'll let you know when 5k is, I shoot a lot less these days, so it'll take me a while. In my 20's, 5k was a few months of weekends.

I have a variety of ammunition I'll be feeding mine. Except for the FGMM. I mean I've got random .308/7.62 from commercial sources to some old spam cans, Norinco copper wash, and more. If my recent experience is the norm, and I feel it likely is, the RFB will chew through it all like a Singer sewing machine. If not, you'll hear about that too.

Arc.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Arc:

Both my Dad and I have the KT Sub2000 9mm carbines and love them.

People talk about guns they will never part with? Well, for me this is one of them for sure.

My Dad has a black one with Glock mag compatibility and uses the 33 round Glock stick mags and I have an OD green one with Beretta mag compatibility and I use the 30 round Beretta CX4 mags in mine. They are an absolute joy to shoot and dead-nuts accurate too.

Mine looks like this, I love the look of that green:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:

I'll let you know when 5k is, I shoot a lot less these days, so it'll take me a while. In my 20's, 5k was a few months of weekends.

I have a variety of ammunition I'll be feeding mine. Except for the FGMM. I mean I've got random .308/7.62 from commercial sources to some old spam cans, Norinco copper wash, and more. If my recent experience is the norm, and I feel it likely is, the RFB will chew through it all like a Singer sewing machine. If not, you'll hear about that too.

Arc

Have you made it to 5K yet, hows it holding up...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I’ve never seen any documentation from KT about a 5,000 round lifespan and would say their pistols and rifles, if maintained, would last as long as anything else out there.

KT themselves used to claim a minimum life expectancy of 6,000 rounds for their pistols. That info does not seem to still be on their website. Having owned a couple of them, the assertion that they'll last "as long as anything else out there" is, in my opinion, crazy talk. I think the 6,000 round estimate is generous. I like Kel Tec pistols for what they are; very compact carry guns that aren't going to get shot much (at least for most of us).

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Very nice--308 Bullpup
Nobody commented on the Elcan--illuminated 30 caliber scope. That's a damn nice scope. $$$

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post