SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Trijicon MRO HD - anyone try one yet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon MRO HD - anyone try one yet? Login/Join 
Picture of HERITAGE
posted
Curious if anyone has been able to try this optic yet? Regular red dots aren't very crisp for my eyes anymore; for me they are more like an imprecise starburst pattern. How does the MRO HD compare? I'm especially interested in hearing from you if you have the same trouble with regular dot sights that I do. Thanks in advance!

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen one in real life, but since it uses the same mechanism to project the dot as a regular MRO if that one is a problem for you , this one will be too.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I haven't seen one in real life, but since it uses the same mechanism to project the dot as a regular MRO if that one is a problem for you , this one will be too.

Yep. You have astigmatism, which is what causes red dot reticles to appear distorted. All red dots will be affected.

You might look into a low power variable scope, or a prismatic sight. The etched reticles on those won't be distorted by your astigmatism, but the tradeoff is that they don't have unlimited eye relief like a red dot does.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HERITAGE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping the MRO HD would work for me, but probably won't.

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I have a bad astigmatism and most red dots are almost unusable. I will say that Trijicon MRO is the only one I would mount on a rifle. It is hands down the clearest for me.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My HD arrived yesterday and I mounted it last night. It is exactly the same dot situation. Yup you get another bigger projection, but the dot looks exactly the same. If you struggle with an MRO this won't do squat for you.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The issue is with how your eyes perceive the dot, not how the dot is created/projected.

As stated, if you have astigmatism, all red dots will be affected.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
I have a bad astigmatism and most red dots are almost unusable. I will say that Trijicon MRO is the only one I would mount on a rifle. It is hands down the clearest for me.

Whereas, in my case, the Trijicon MRO was no better for me than most other RDS'. What was better for me, oddly enough, was the Holosun HS510C. Plus the Holosun has selectable circle/dot reticles, which the Trijicon did not. Just the dot.

I also tried Vortex. It was about the worst, for me. (IIRC, they also did not have the circle/dot reticles [at the time].)

I see the new MRO HD has the selectable circle/dot reticle, now. But an MSRP of $919.00--with no mount?!?!

I really prefer to buy American-made products, but, man: Can't they be more competitive than that?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
MRO HD w/o Mount - $616.00 at Eurooptic --> https://www.eurooptic.com/Trij...t-MRO-C-2200050.aspx

Still Expensive at a $225 premium over the std. MRO.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I would've happily paid the premium for the MRO at the time, but being as it was both worse for my astigmatism and had a dot only: Couldn't do it. Now they've gone way higher in price? Nope.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:

Whereas, in my case, the Trijicon MRO was no better for me than most other RDS'. What was better for me, oddly enough, was the Holosun HS510C. Plus the Holosun has selectable circle/dot reticles, which the Trijicon did not. Just the dot.

I also tried Vortex. It was about the worst, for me. (IIRC, they also did not have the circle/dot reticles [at the time].)

I see the new MRO HD has the selectable circle/dot reticle, now. But an MSRP of $919.00--with no mount?!?!

I really prefer to buy American-made products, but, man: Can't they be more competitive than that?

Holosun is another one I can use Eotech and Sig red dots are the worst for me.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that EOtech is a problem. I was of the impression that the holographic reticle was not a problem with astigmatism. I have mild astigmatism and EOtech reticles have always been extremely crisp.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
MRO HD w/o Mount - $616.00 at Eurooptic --> https://www.eurooptic.com/Trij...t-MRO-C-2200050.aspx

Still Expensive at a $225 premium over the std. MRO.... Wink
Yeah, one of the initial attractions of the MRO was the price vs Aimpoint.

That's off the table with the HD model; plus there have been some indications of the circle reticle "ghosting" when off, depending on the angle of the sun (ie you can see the circle at times, even when set to dot only).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post