SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mini-14 PrecisionMags and Eagle mags (plastic) ... any good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-14 PrecisionMags and Eagle mags (plastic) ... any good? Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
So I recently found some mags in my collection that I didn't know I had. Some PrecisionMags and some Eagle mags for the Mini-14.

The Eagles are kinda neat, they have little rolled-up springs, not springs like in an AR mag or AK mag, kinda cool!

The PrecisionMags appear to be made as well as factory, not like Pro-mags or anything.

Both kinds are mid-90s "pre-ban" made, and seem to be made well and in great unused/lightly used condition.

I have some factory 20 rounders that I usually use for my Mini, they have worked fine and many people prefer the 20s for the Mini-14.

So, are the PrecisionMags and Eagle mags any good? Do they last a while? Do the Eagle plastic ones break? Do either type cause malfunctions?

Or are they good-to-go?

BTW, they are 40 rounders...

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The PMI mags (Precision Mags, Inc) were considered the only metal aftermarket mags comparable to factory. They also have the possible advantage of being shorter than the equivalent factory magazine, as the OEM mags used much longer anti-tilt followers.

I have no direct experience with plastics. I've heard that Eagles were pretty hit-or-miss. Sometimes very bad misses. Not just FTFs, but worse things like feeding-before-the-mag-is-in-the-gun. The creme-de-la-polymer Mini-14 mags were the early Thermolds, on par with the PMIs.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The PMI mags (Precision Mags, Inc) were considered the only metal aftermarket mags comparable to factory. They also have the possible advantage of being shorter than the equivalent factory magazine, as the OEM mags used much longer anti-tilt followers.
I have no direct experience with plastics. I've heard that Eagles were pretty hit-or-miss. Sometimes very bad misses. Not just FTFs, but worse things like feeding-before-the-mag-is-in-the-gun. The creme-de-la-polymer Mini-14 mags were the early Thermolds, on par with the PMIs.

PMI=Precision Mag Industries

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Yep, those are the mags I have (metal ones). 3 still in the wrapper, 1 open, all 40 rounders. Didn't remember buying them.

The Eagles are cool looking, but based on the above, I have no idea how they will function...

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, sorry, Precision Mag Industries.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience the PMI mags are good-to-go.

NEVER confuse them with ProMags.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Eagle mags are junk. Years ago had two of them that were loaded, one in the the mini 14 and one beside it just break apart and spill out ammo just sitting in the closet.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My only experience with Eagle Mags was for a pump action Remington 30.06 and they were flat junk.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
The Eagles are kinda neat, they have little rolled-up springs,, not springs like in an AR mag or AK mag, kinda cool!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I saw a guy at the range have a total clusterfuck with his gun. I told him his mag was causing his issues. Lets take it apart, clean it, and see if that helps. WE take it apart and it has one of those rolled up type springs in it. I was seriously WTF is this garbage! Toss it in the trash and start over.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post