SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want a varmint rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a varmint rifle Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping an incoming Henry Big Boy 327 fed will fill the role for me. I've got a soulless AR -15 Wink for distance. Lever guns are becoming more appealing as every fall passes.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
22-250 looks good on paper, but I don't think the execution is all that great. Commercial ammo generally has very light bullets, say 50-55 grains. Great for muzzle velocity, but not so great for wind drift or energy on distant targets. Along with the light bullets in factory loads, factory barrels have slow twists -- generally 1/14. A quick review of all the rifles mentioned earlier in this thread, all seem to have 1/14 twist barrels except:
1/10 for Ruger American Predator
1/12 for Savage
1/12 for Howa

Of course additional muzzle velocity can compensate somewhat for slow twist barrels, but I suspect none of the 1/14 barrels can stabilize a 69 grain bullet. Probably the same for the 1/12 barrels. So using a decent 69-77 grain bullet means a custom barrel and hand loads.

If a high speed 223 bore is required, something like a 22 Nosler or 224 Valkyrie makes more sense so me. Or maybe just stick with 223 Remy and use heavy bullets. If 223 Remy is considered too wimpy, IMO the next step up is 243 Win.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I agree with your choice of 22-250. I feel it's truly king of the varmint rounds. You certainly don't need anything bigger than 22 caliber. I might go with a 223 in a light rifle, but 22-250 for sure in a heavy rifle.

I'm not a Ruger American fan or really a fan of most of the budget rifles. The Tikka T3 and Weatherby Vanguard 2 are both accurate rifles without breaking the bank.

I'll have to check out what weatherby had to offer this year. Last year they had a nice shorter barreled/heavy barreled vanguard that came in a bell and Carlson stock. Something like that would be fun.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
22-250 looks good on paper, but I don't think the execution is all that great. Commercial ammo generally has very light bullets, say 50-55 grains. Great for muzzle velocity, but not so great for wind drift or energy on distant targets. Along with the light bullets in factory loads, factory barrels have slow twists -- generally 1/14. A quick review of all the rifles mentioned earlier in this thread, all seem to have 1/14 twist barrels except:
1/12 for Savage
1/12 for Howa

Of course additional muzzle velocity can compensate somewhat for slow twist barrels, but I suspect none of the 1/14 barrels can stabilize a 69 grain bullet. Probably the same for the 1/12 barrels. So using a decent 69-77 grain bullet means a custom barrel and hand loads.

If a high speed 223 bore is required, something like a 22 Nosler or 224 Valkyrie makes more sense so me. Or maybe just stick with 223 Remy and use heavy bullets. If 223 Remy is considered too wimpy, IMO the next step up is 243 Win.

Nope, 223 isn't too wimpy at all. As I said earlier, people around here kill moose with them so I'm sure it would be fine on wolves, coyotes and foxes. I'm not opposed to a 223 at all.

You mentioned a few cool calibers but I'm not really set up to reload at the moment so I do t really want to go with a wildcat or something that could be hard to find ammo for, I basically need to stock up on ammo when I'm in ancorage or have people grab it for me when they are there.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Have you looked at 25-06 ?
I absolutely love this chambering.
Prairie dogs, deer , antelope, etc. so long as you stick with a 24"-26" barrels.
Lotsa choices in bullet weights makes it extremely versatile.

Just a thought.

Love my 25-06 Mauser 98 as an all rounder

That's a nice looking gun. 25-06 is a cool round but I'd never really considered it for a varminter, I always looked at it as a sheep round or and all around deer cartridge.

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
75gr Hornady VMax is what I've shot coyotes & fox with but it's not fur friendly. LoL

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
1/12 for Savage
1/12 for Howa

True enough but there is just something fun and satisfying about the explosive effects of a frangible lightwight bullet at high velocity! For shooting ultra long range a true varmint rifle isn't quite what you'd want anyway. Maybe in Alaska there might not be small enough targets to grenade but if there is........... :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
My friend has some sort of Remington 700 in 22-250 with a 26" fluted barrel, its nice but Id rather get something a bit less expensive and spend more $$$ On the scope for this rig.

I have 2 friends that own these. Both shoot very well for me and the Rem has aftermarket *everything* availability - only your wallet will limit the choices.
If you wait for a sale (Chrismas is coming) you can pick them up at REALLY good prices.

ETA: A quick search just found 2 for about $450

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NewMexican, I just saw these back on sale at EuroOptic:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Leic...ale.aspx?footer_link

These are a Spectacular value at these prices. You should grab one of these immediately if you are able before they sale out. 30mm Scopes with good reticles and better than Swaro AV optic (I have several of both). HIGHLY recommended value.........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post