SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    10.5” AR upper question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10.5” AR upper question Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I was going to buy a PSA sea for a 10.5” light weight upper today and just get a lower some other time as they never have the complete pistol in stock. When I went to check out I noticed it said it was a pistol length gas system, whereas the complete pistol had the carbine length gas system. Looked like the exact same upper but I guess not? I have heard the carbine length gas system is better than the pistol, but what say everyone on here? Is there a reason to avoid the pistol length system?

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
From what I've read and understand (other forum members with more experience than me might chime in with more info)...for .556 carbine length gas systems are best...the only pistol length gas system I have experience with is on my .300 Blackout build...

PSA still have the 10.5 uppers with carbine length listed on their website...

http://palmettostatearmory.com...g-ch-5165448228.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PSA 10.5 upper and it runs just fine. YMMV.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I have a PSA 10.5 upper and it runs just fine. YMMV.

Is it a pistol or carbine gas system?

Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for Anubismp...but I do have the PSA 10.5" upper with a carbine length gas system on my first pistol build...it has functioned perfectly. And so has my 7.5" 300 BO with the pistol length gas system with supersonic ammo. Again, it's my understanding that .556/.223 will function better/less wear and tear/less recoil with the carbine length gas system...from what I gleaned from other websites .556 and .300BO have different operating parameters, especially with short barrels. Personally, I would choose the carbine gas system for the .223.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^That’s what I’ll hold out for then. Thanks for the info!