SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .224 Valkyrie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.224 Valkyrie Login/Join 
Picture of onpointgun
posted
I have started picking up stuff for a build. Has anyone built one out? I am trying to decide on a barrel length I am thinking 20" or 22" I just can't make up my mind. Any tips I would appreciate the help.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that was contemplating one,

he has moved on for now,

there is a 224valkyrie forum that he was getting some info from

what distance are you planning on shooting?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I have a friend that was contemplating one,

he has moved on for now,

there is a 224valkyrie forum that he was getting some info from

what distance are you planning on shooting?

We have a 1300 yard range so the idea of something in a standard AR platform capable of that has me thinking.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would hold off on the barrel until people have figured out which twist rates actually work with the round. Seems too many reports is inaccurate guns due to mismatched bullet weights and twist rates.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I concur with Scurvy.

There was an initial flurry of accolades for the Valkyrie. Almost a year ago, guys with a pair of JP Valkyries shot quite well in the Team Safari match. Since then the reports have been both positive and negative from other sources. Supposedly issues which might originate with ammo, barrels, twist rates, chambers, or whatever.

When a Valkyrie rifle shoots well, it evidently shoots really well. Others, not so much.

For many weeks I watched Snipers Hide for Frank Galli's report on his Valkyrie. I lost interest after weeks of not seeing anything pop up. Especially after nothing seemed to come up with his experiment with Hornady 88 grain ELD bullets. Maybe a new thread just fell to the bottom. Anyway, when Frank really likes some type of rifle equipment, he's usually pretty vocal about his positive views....

I recommend caution in buying Valkyrie components at this time.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The Valkyrie does have a cool name. I guess if you want the platform for an AR, go for it.

I’d rather keep my ARs in the common 223/5.56 and leave the longer range 80ish grain bullet shooting to the 243.

I know, it’s good to try some variety. The Valkyrie hasn’t caught my interest though.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
I bit and am waiting for a LuRue build. Unfortunately, even though I have enough ammo to play, the rifle has been on order for 9 months. If it shows up while I'm still breathing, I'll post pictures with a report.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Palmetto has a blem upper for 350. But reviews are all over the place. some only getting 3" groups at 100 yards. wich is the warranty for palmetto.

what I read was that there was only 100 fps increase between 20-24". So if that is true the 20" would be better. lighter and easier to handle

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a BSF Fluted and carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Hopefully it will show up some time next week.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
I just purchased a BSF Fluted and carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Hopefully it will show up some time next week.

length? where did you get it? do they warranty for accuracy?

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
what I read was that there was only 100 fps increase between 20-24". So if that is true the 20" would be better. lighter and easier to handle

A few tests show that there should be about 100 fps MV increase for those 4 inches.

The valkyrie isn't meant to be a "handy" rifle. It's meant for long distance shooting, and an additional 100 fps MV makes a noticeable difference in flight ballistics at distance.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
I just purchased a BSF Fluted and carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

It appears that barrel costs $550 to $600, depending on source. That's a fair amount a coin for a barrel that doesn't have a whole lot of reviews.

It also appears that BSF put 1:7 twists on their valkyrie barrels. A growing thought is that 1:7 twists don't quite stabilize the 90 grain SMK and 88 grain ELD bullets. A number of barrel manufacturers are going to 1:6.5 twists.

posted Hide Post
White oak has Kreiger barrels with 1:6.5!!!!

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Getting closer the lower is finished.