SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Montana Rifle Company Closed for Restructuring
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifle Company Closed for Restructuring Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Montana Rifle Company, manufacturer of Mauser style CRF actions has closed, pending a financial restructuring.

Damn, I wanted to build a fine hunting rifle on one of their actions.

Press Release

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad about MRC.

You might look into a Mausingfield Action for your custom. More money than the MRC's were but a much nicer action........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I had an MRC ss .300wsm made. It was a great rifle,Dime sized group at 100 yards..Had a Wolf stock. Looked like a Kimber Montana on roids..

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I was weeks away from a 1999 in 6.5 PRC as a new woods rifle.

I hope that they come back.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Hope they make it back.I bought a as new 1999 in 6.5 Creed a few months ago. Awesome rifle.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear that. I've got two of their 1999 actions that I used in hunting rifle builds (7mm-08 and .280 Rem.) and did a few more for some friends.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've read: they cannot keep up with the demand. As a result, they have decided to expand which is why they have shut down production temporarily. I hope that's true because their rifles are supposed to be really good quality.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I was very tempted recently by one for sale locally.
My online research showed very pretty rifles with hit and miss quality control and lacking CS. I decided not to roll the dice.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone really believes they are shut down because they can't keep up with demand, I've got George Washington's custom Glock 18 that I'll make you a really good deal on.

As CAS found from his online research, MRC was a great idea that never lived up to their promise. My only personal experience was my friend's rifle that had a chamber that was not concentric to the bore. It was eventually made good by the company, but in what I thought was a grudging manner.

If you want to spend the money on a custom CRF rifle, you can find a beater pre-64 Winchester or a newer Winchester Classic and use the action; spend the bucks for a Mauser military action remodel; find one of the many "catalog" rifles, such as J.C. Higgins, that used the outstanding post-war FN Mauser actions; or just say "the hell with it" and build on a Dakota 76 action or have them build the whole rifle to your specs.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...or get a Kimber for about the same price as the Montana. I have an 84M that is perfect in every way. The wood is so beautiful that you almost don't want to take if out for fear of scratching it.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MRC is well known to have terrible quality control and terrible customer service. I’d bet they shut their doors because nobody wanted to roll the dice on their crappy rifles that may or may not meet the expectations of a 1300.00 dollar rifle.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I moved to AK I wanted to have an all around 30-06, it came down to a Winchester 70 extreme weather and a Montana x2, based on my research I decided to go with the Winchester, I’m so glad I went that route.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
...or get a Kimber for about the same price as the Montana. I have an 84M that is perfect in every way. The wood is so beautiful that you almost don't want to take if out for fear of scratching it.
. I had a Kimber Montana in a .270wsm. Thing would not shoot less than 2 inch groups with everything from factory to hand loads. Was great to carry up and down mountains thou. The MRC in a .300wsm was fantastic. Maybe the service went down hill on the newer products

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
smaller firearms companies have a hard time succeeding and being competitive. Once you go from custom to small production, to medium sized production you have whole new levels of issues to consider.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
quote:
...or get a Kimber for about the same price as the Montana.
. I had a Kimber Montana in a .270wsm. Thing would not shoot less than 2 inch groups with everything from factory to hand loads.

You could find 10 reviews of Kimber rifles (real people, not press fluff) and 10 reviews of MRC rifles, swap the brand name from one review to the other and not effect the outcome of the reviews in any way.

Kimber has to be the most polarizing firearm brand there is.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
quote:
...or get a Kimber for about the same price as the Montana.
. I had a Kimber Montana in a .270wsm. Thing would not shoot less than 2 inch groups with everything from factory to hand loads.

You could find 10 reviews of Kimber rifles (real people, not press fluff) and 10 reviews of MRC rifles, swap the brand name from one review to the other and not effect the outcome of the reviews in any way.

Kimber has to be the most polarizing firearm brand there is.

I love kimbers and have had great luck with them, they did have some QC issues awhile back but the ones that have come out over the last few years are good to go. I love buying kimbers that “won’t shoot” for good prices.

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I bought my Montana around 2004. I loved the idea and the way the rifle carried especially in the high country. Just didn't work for me. The .300wsm MRC was set up almost identical albeit a tad heavier and never had an issue. So I'm assuming MRC was hit or miss as were the early Montanas..

posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought my Montana around 2004. I loved the idea and the way the rifle carried especially in the high country. Just didn't work for me. The .300wsm MRC was set up almost identical albeit a tad heavier and never had an issue. So I'm assuming MRC was hit or miss as were the early Montanas..

More importantly than the hit or miss QC from Montana rifles was the rudeness and denial people were met with when they had issues as well as the 20* week wait times to get the problems sorted, and then guns being returned with crude machine work and in many cases the problems weren’t actually fixed when people got them back.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
MRC is well known to have terrible quality control and terrible customer service. I’d bet they shut their doors because nobody wanted to roll the dice on their crappy rifles that may or may not meet the expectations of a 1300.00 dollar rifle.

That more or less sums up our experience. They were talking to us about becoming an authorized dealer in western WA. To try them, we ordered a couple of custom bolt rifles for one of our best customers. The QC on one of the guns was okay but not all that impressive for a $2500 rifle. The other in 300 was just abysmal; dangerously incorrect muzzle device was mounted on the gun (wrong caliber! Really? Drunk at the CNC?) All sorts of finish issues with both barrel and receiver. And their lackadaisical customer service response topped it off. We ended up ordering the customer two Coopers instead, selling two Swaros and mounts at cost and apologizing profusely along the way. As you might guess, we did not take MRC on.

-MG

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post