SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig MCX Virtus 5.56 vs Galil Ace 5.56
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig MCX Virtus 5.56 vs Galil Ace 5.56 Login/Join 
posted
Haven’t seen much on the net comparing these two. I’m interested in getting one of them at LE/Mil pricing. Both have foldable stocks. Weight is similar. Appears the Sig May be more accurate and versatile with the 300blk barrel. Concerned about Sig dropping support if they move to another generation. Galil is battle tested with IDF, very reliable and has follow-on support.

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles or pistol versions and any comments to share about them? Looking forward to your input. TIA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strider41,

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I don't currently own either one, but I would take the Galil ACE any day over the flavor of the month from SIG. Years down the road I suspect you will have better support from IWI. I think the ACEs are very underrated rifles.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
I really, really wanted those Galils when they first came out, but what turned me away was the welded on rear iron sight, and the fact that the top rail is a removable piece held in only be tension (ie: wont hold zero well after removal).

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have a galil ace pistol and rifle both in 7.62x39. I also have a Sig virtus 16” in 5.56 and a rattler pistol in .300 Blk.

I have real experience with the ace and I have not noticed any point of impact shift with removing the dust cover. I am using a red dots currently on my ace’s but used a 1-4 Trijicon Accupoint originally. Maybe a 3-15 or higher scope would notice poi shift? I haven’t tested it, but if there is any movement, I doubt it’s much at all.

As to which one I’d pick if I could only have one? That’s a tough call. They are both great rifles imo. I feel like the ace will have a better track record long term. It’s battle tested and I think it will have manufacturer support longer than the virtus. I also think the ace has a better stock for shooting. The virtus stock is more compact, but the check weld isn’t as good for shooting.

I’d say my aces are 2 or so moa guns. Maybe 3? The virtus is certainly a sub moa gun. I’m of no real help in your decision making process, just trying to throw out my thoughts. Honestly they are both great rifles and I’d be happy with either one. It’s a coin flip for me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I really, really wanted those Galils when they first came out, but what turned me away was the welded on rear iron sight...

Rear sight is removable. It has a spring loaded button under the top cover which, when depressed will allow removal of the rear sight.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I don't currently own either one, but I would take the Galil ACE any day over the flavor of the month from SIG. Years down the road I suspect you will have better support from IWI. I think the ACEs are very underrated rifles.

Yep. My feelings exactly.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Galil ACE is not battle tested by the IDF. It’s a gun made for the export market, with only a few takers, and has little to do with the original Galil, other than co-opting the name. It’s basically an expensive AK. Although I never got the 5.56 ACE, I have both of the 7.62 versions, and I’d definitely take the my MCX over either.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
The Galil ACE is not battle tested by the IDF. It’s a gun made for the export market, with only a few takers, and has little to do with the original Galil, other than co-opting the name. It’s basically an expensive AK.

It’s a Galil with a body kit and ugly rails. I’d take it over a US SIG.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^this^^
I’d never buy a long gun from sig just for this reason. And I like their long guns. But sig is way too flaky. Also the Galil ACE is just so damn nice. The bolt is about as silky smooth as it gets

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I really, really wanted those Galils when they first came out, but what turned me away was the welded on rear iron sight...

Rear sight is removable. It has a spring loaded button under the top cover which, when depressed will allow removal of the rear sight.

Good info, thanks for the clarification.

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post