SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger BX 10/22 Trigger - Any Good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger BX 10/22 Trigger - Any Good? Login/Join 
posted
I had always felt like the trigger on my 10/22 was a bit stiff. Today I went shooting with friends and we had 2 other 10/22s. None had trigger jobs, so if theirs was a standard 6lb, mine was more like 9.

I need to get this upgraded for sure. Would prefer an easy drop in solution. Is the Ruger BX any good? Any other options? I don’t mind paying more if there is a big enough difference.

One downside to the Ruger BX is that I have a stainless barrel, stainless trigger assembly, and a wood stock. It looks like this BX only comes in a black look.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm watching this too!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the BX in one 10/22 and swapped out the factory parts for the Volquartsen Target Hammer kit on another older 10/22.

The BX is good, and certainly an improvement over factory. Mine has shorter take-up and a crisp break at right at 3.5 lbs consistently. What I hated about the BX was the plastic trigger. I could swear I felt the plastic flex on trigger pulls. Once i swapped it out for a bullet aluminum trigger and shimmed it in to remove the lateral movement, it was good to go. All that to say, it is a decent easy factory upgrade, but it is not groundbreaking. Lighter and crisper, but not like a superb custom trigger.

The Volquartsen kit is, if used in a target gun, probably more bang for the buck. Short take up and light crisp break. In my opinion, too light for a utility gun, but good for a bench gun.

I would buy either one again.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BEAR45
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it also, a little over 3 pounds and the price is right, I installed it myself and saved some money on having a Gunsmith doing it. If I had another 10/22 I would buy again..go for it

Posts: 359 | Location: Parker,Colorado,USA | Registered: May 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
I've got the BX in one 10/22 and swapped out the factory parts for the Volquartsen Target Hammer kit on another older 10/22.

The BX is good, and certainly an improvement over factory. Mine has shorter take-up and a crisp break at right at 3.5 lbs consistently. What I hated about the BX was the plastic trigger. I could swear I felt the plastic flex on trigger pulls. Once i swapped it out for a bullet aluminum trigger and shimmed it in to remove the lateral movement, it was good to go. All that to say, it is a decent easy factory upgrade, but it is not groundbreaking. Lighter and crisper, but not like a superb custom trigger.

The Volquartsen kit is, if used in a target gun, probably more bang for the buck. Short take up and light crisp break. In my opinion, too light for a utility gun, but good for a bench gun.

I would buy either one again.

Basically sums up my thoughts. Tac Sol sent me one after their trigger died on me. I don't like it as much as the TacSol trigger that was in my X-Ring rifle. But it's pretty good.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had not looked at Volquartsen at all. So I could just buy the kit below and put the parts into my current stainless housing? How hard would that be? The only trigger I have ever installed was a Geiselle SSA, and they make that thing idiot proof, haha.

Volquartsen Action Kit

Thanks!

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 vq trigger groups, i currently have 1 kidd , and two bx trigger groups, on 1964 trigger group.

The bx arr fantastic deals for the money

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
On all of my 10-22's I use the Volquartsen Hammer kit it also includes a trigger spring and makes an amazing difference ... they used to run around $35 and could find the on sale for $28 or so if you shopped around ... midway is another good source

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
If you can install an AR trigger -you can do a 10/22.
While the bolt is out--polish it to smooth out any tool marks.
It comes with the extended mag release.
Auto bolt release also is included.
Hammer kit is included.
Do the Volquartsen Action kit.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I have three of the BX triggers and like them a lot.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watched an install video on the Volquartsen Action kit and it looks pretty straight forward.

Anyone else do this? How did it turn out?

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
I don’t mind paying more if there is a big enough difference.

Well, if you want to spend money, there are the KIDD trigger units. They're complete, drop-in trigger groups - swapping it is similar to swapping the lower receiver on an AR, no springs or small part manipulation.

The two-stage trigger is a match trigger that is no kidding as good as the trigger on an Anschutz target rifle. They make a less expensive single-stage version now, too, but I've never tried it.

You can even get them in silver!

The optional extended magazine release that wraps around the trigger guard is a thing of beauty, too.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/TRIGGERS_c_7.html

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The great thing about a 10/22 is the aftermarket. There is a huge abundance of choices at any price point. I've the BX, several Volquartsen and Kidd. I think the BX is simply the best value if you aren't going nuts on the rest of the rifle. But if you are get the Kidd and be done with it. For what it is the BX is a very satisfactory trigger and if you shop around priced very well...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
BX trigger has been a very good value in my old 10-.22 for Steel Challenge and bowling pin matches.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in my rifle, it's pretty good for the money.
Personally I don't feel I need anything better for the shooting that I do.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
I have one in my rifle, it's pretty good for the money.
Personally I don't feel I need anything better for the shooting that I do.

And there's the rub ... whatever satisfies you is what you should go with. I've been using the Volquartsen hammer & spring kits since long before the BX trigger packs came out ... I bought a BX but after shooting with it a bit I put a Volquartsen hammer & spring kit in it as well.

Of course having spare parts laying around (the original trigger pack) isn't a good thing ... I built another one with a Zimmerman receiver, standard barrel, linear compensator (not that it needed it, but it looked good IMHO), standard bolt and the other standard goodies; the automatic bolt release and extended mag release.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
The BX triggers are hit and miss but there are gems out there. I bought mine about 4 years ago at a Cabellas. They had 5 in stock and I brought my trigger gauge with me and measured them all right in the isle. I bought the one with the 2.5 lbs trigger but others were in the 3-5.5 lbs range. My stock trigger wasn’t that bad at 5.5 lbs so I could have bought a replacement that wouldn’t have been an improvement had I not measured them. The takeaway is I’d buy again but not without measuring the trigger first.

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
The BX triggers are a great value for their cost. Especially if you want to re-fit several 10-22s in your collection with a trigger upgrade. The BX is inexpensive enough to do that.

I can't help but believe that the BX trigger really helps me to shoot better at Appleseed events. Every time I go, I shoot the "rifleman's" score. The BX isn't premium equipment, but it does make me appreicate that having it helps me to perform better. Shooting is challenging enough. There is no reason to fight with a heavy factory Ruger trigger.

Unless if you're trying to make your 10-22 an uber accurate/precision rifle, the BX is a great upgrade. The BX will help you put 5 shot groups with peep iron sights into a 50 cent piece at 25 meters. If you want your Ruger with bull barrel and scope to place match bullets into a dime at 25 meters, then you will want something better than a BX.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
waste of money. Not enough better than a normal trigger, IMHO. I own one and two Kidds and had a VQ before.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check out rimfire central, lots of talk about triggers for the 10/22. Personally, I use the Ruger BX, it's a pretty good upgrade that won't break the bank. Youtube has some vids on it also.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post