SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brownells MPO scope???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells MPO scope??? Login/Join 
posted
anybody had any experience with these scopes? they look good!

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think they just released them, I had never seen them before on their website (and I order nearly all my stuff from Brownells).

Japanese construction, nice qualities, and covered by Brownells "Forever Warranty", which includes "I don't want it anymore", so there seems to be little risk in trying it out. A tab heavier than some, but not overly so.

I just bought a Nightforce, so my gun money and scope needs are tapped out otherwise I would consider it more strongly.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
On the outside, they look solid.

I certainly agree with Rhino's second paragraph. Especially since Brownell's isn't going anywhere and if in 10 years it poops the bed, they'll take care of their customer.

Might find a home on an SPR build in the future, with the 18x version.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to really looking at the 5x25 it only had 22 mils adjustment that wont get it shooting LRP with a 308. I ordered a Burris Xtreme 2x25 has 90 mil

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
I got to really looking at the 5x25 it only had 22 mils adjustment that wont get it shooting LRP with a 308. I ordered a Burris Xtreme 2x25 has 90 mil

If I have the correct scopes and specs, let me discuss a few points.

I know nothing of the Brownells MPO scope. The 5-25's max elevation adjustment is 22 mils, which translates to 75 MOA.

I have briefly shot a Burris XTR II 5-25 scope at a rifle match demo. I don't think Burris makes a 2-25x scope. IMO the Burris 5-25x is a good scope -- bright & clear glass, nice turret feel. The 5-25x max elevation adjustment is 90 MOA, not 90 mils. The Burris' 90 MOA translates to 26 mils. Therefore the Burris has 15 MOA (or 4 mils) more elevation adjustment than the Brownells. Not a huge difference, but a noticeable difference.

If you don't use a canted base or scope mount, you will be able to use only 1/2 of a scope's max elevation adjustment. Less maybe 2-3 MOA to obtain a zero at 100 yards. This means with the Burris you have about 42 MOA of adjustment before the elevation turret bottoms out. My 308, using FGMM 175 at 5,000 feet Density Altitude requires the following elevations:
19 MOA at 700 yards
24 MOA at 800 yards
29 MOA at 900 yards
35 MOA at 1000 yards

You likely will be fine without a canted base. However, if you intend to regularly shoot at 500+ yards, a 10 MOA or 20 MOA base will help to keep you looking through the center of the scope lens -- which improves scope clarity.

I think you made a wise choice going with the Burris instead of the Brownells.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post