SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best optic for a 10.5" AR pistol? **Aimpoint COMP M3 Installed**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best optic for a 10.5" AR pistol? **Aimpoint COMP M3 Installed** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I've got a good quality A3 carry handle. I also have an ACOG TA31. I also have a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x optic.

Which would you choose or should I look at something else?

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5370 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint, in my opinion.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my 10.5 pistol, I have Troy low profile flip-ups with Tritium inserts front and rear.

My 11.5 BCM has an MRO on it.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My SBR wears a Trijicon TR24, IMHO one of the best LPV scopes for a SBR.

My wifes 300 blk 8.5 pistol has an H1 but will be replaced due to our astigmatism with a prismatic 1x or a dedicated 300blk scope.

a 7.5" 5.56 pistol I have wears a Nikon 1x4 just because I have not decided what to buy.

it kinda depends on your planned use....purely HD (CQB) or more of a general purpose.

that being said the razor is a bit of a pig weight wise.....

<<shrugs shoulders>>

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Aimpoint, in my opinion.

Mine, too.

You can go on the cheap and pick up something from Vortex, instead.

I'm normally an Aimpoint snob, but for my first, ( personal) AR pistol build, I went with a Vortex SPARC AR. Been going strong for the last two years or so.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a C-more on my AR pistol....not really thinking I’m gonna stretch it past 75 yards or so....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11239 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I do have a Burris FastFire. Would that me more ideal than the ACOG? I plan on a 100 yard zero and keep it at that.

Posts: 5370 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I honestly wouldn't pick any of those three. Either an aimpoint or an mro. Also I'd zero at 50 yards. It's more useful than 100.

If it was a 14 to 18 inch gun then the 1-6 would be my choice.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Okay. Looks like I'll use the carry handle until I can find a MRO or an Aimpoint. Seem to be out of stock through my suppliers.

Tony.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice here.

The Aimpoint is always a good choice. Depending on what you are using it for, I’d recommend whatever you choose to have a wider field of view. It helps if you plan on doing anything close quarters with it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37078 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint T1 or a Trijicon MRO.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I got a Romeo 5 with a flip up 3x behind it. I REALLY dig the setup.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this is a defensive pistol the only proven choice is an aimpoint. And there is seriously no need for a 3x behind it. I happen to like the MRO and use it for several competition guns, but if its a life or death gun I put an aimpoint on it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Bought my T-1 7 years ago.

Just took it out of storage after being overseas for 4 years. It was on that whole time. Granted it was a low setting but the damn battery still works after being on for 4 years straight and used for 7 total.

I should change it know that I think about it Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6243 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my MRO on my CMMG Banshee in 10mm.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Short range weapons, EoTech red dot. My short barrels all have Eotech on them.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint COMP M5 with Scalarworks mount on my 10.3"

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW. You can attach the ACOG to the carry handle. This offers proper height for CQB drills. The eye relief on the 4X isn’t great but thousands of servicemen have made it work. You can also get a mount for the TA31. The TA45 ACOG is outstanding on top of a carry handle. Of course nothing is faster than an EoTech but if you have astigmatism then always go with the ACOG. Otherwise go with the EoTech or the Aimpoint T2.

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got home tonight and I found a box waiting for me in the hallway. It wasn't due until Friday!

I got it all put together and here are the options until I can fund an Aimpoint...

Carry handle...

ACOG...

I might sight in both, and leave the ACOG on. My 20" AR rifle has a 20 year old barrel. I borescope it the other day and the chrome was flaking. I hardly ever shoot it, so it's time for a re-build for that one.

Tony.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Nice....always liked the look of a 10.5" barrel. My first SBR had one, then I discovered the velocity gains you could get from adding one inch.....so, that's what it has been wearing for years.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post