SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best optic for a 10.5" AR pistol? **Aimpoint COMP M3 Installed**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best optic for a 10.5" AR pistol? **Aimpoint COMP M3 Installed** Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I dig it. I'd leave the ACOG on, since you can use your ACOG as a quasi-Aimpoint.

If you'll put a flip-up lens cap on the front, with the cap down and both eyes open you can use it as an "occluded eye sight". The left eye sees the target, the right eye sees the illuminated reticle on the black background, and the brain automatically superimposes the lit reticle over the target in your mind. (Hooray evolutionary development of offset binocular vision!)

You can achieve the same effect even without covering the front of the ACOG (something called the "Bindon Aiming Concept"), but it's typically a lot easier to get the hang of it with the illuminated reticle on a black background, so you're not distracted by the magnification in your right eye's image. But you can give it a try with no cover, and with a makeshift cover taped on, before deciding if investing in the flip up lens cap is worthwhile or not.

Then, for longer range use, flip up the front cap (if installed) and use the magnified ACOG as normal.

Give it a shot. It may feel weird at first, but comes quite naturally with a little practice. It's a trick used by the USMC for CQB with their ACOGs.

That'll tide you over until you can get an Aimpoint, plus by that point you'll already have practice shooting a red dot with both eyes open (like you should). You'll just be able to see the target normally with both eyes with the Aimpoint, and will no longer have to worry about having your head positioned just right within a limited eyebox like with the ACOG.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I was messing around with it last night and a little today to see if my brain can ignore everything but the red chevron in my right eye and go off only what's seen through my left eye.

I think with enough training, I can make it work.

My 10 year old son digs it with the carry handle as it's lighter. I showed it to him and his face lit up: "Is that mine?!" Big Grin

I also ordered a American Defense SOCOM cantilever mount for the Vortex Razor 1-6X. I'll see how it feels but that optic will eventually go on my BCM 16" mid-length.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I ran about 50 rounds through it today and it ran without a hiccup. Pretty good accuracy at 50 yards, but it's so light, it's hard to keep it on target. My range doesn't allow AR pistols at the action range, so we were stuck on the general purpose range.

I'll have to head out to what's left of the forest sometime and get some practice doing close-in shooting and rapid target engagement.

It does shoot a nice fireball though!

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice setup. I favor Aimpoint but there's nothing wrong with Trijicon.

Personally I never cared much for the Razor. Only positive was that I got it at a great price, so I didn't lose anything when I kicked it to the curb. Clear glass but lots of annoying peripheral distortion at low power; odd (and disgruntling) that the WAY cheaper 1-8x24 Strike Eagle didn't have nearly as much as the Razor did. Far too much dead weight even on a full rifle-length AR-15 bench gun. Never could find a reasonable 'fit' for it; had mine bouncing from gun to gun for a couple of months before throwing up my hands and ultimately selling it off. The buyer kept it for a few months longer than I did before he gave up on it as well.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I forgot to mention that I do have a Burris FastFire. Would that me more ideal than the ACOG? I plan on a 100 yard zero and keep it at that.

Since you already have the Burris Fastfire, put it in the AR-F3 mount and call it good. I have more than one that has gone through more than 1 class (rifle and shotgun) and I have been very happy with both performance and durability.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I forgot to mention that I do have a Burris FastFire. Would that me more ideal than the ACOG? I plan on a 100 yard zero and keep it at that.

Since you already have the Burris Fastfire, put it in the AR-F3 mount and call it good. I have more than one that has gone through more than 1 class (rifle and shotgun) and I have been very happy with both performance and durability.

Bruce

Thanks! I was actually talking to Weshowe a couple of days ago and we were talking about this pistol and my eventual desire for an Aimpoint. He said he has one he just took off a rifle and isn't using. I guess it will be mine for a very good price.

Tony.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used these ACSS scopes from Primary Arms? I feel like these might be a nice solution for a 10.5" kit.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...ith-acss-556-reticle

I'm asking because I have a 10.5" kit inbound from PSA. (I found the colored "unicorn" Spikes lower at my LGS today, so of course I have to start a tiny M4 build.)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have a Primary Arms 2.5x with the ACSS-CQB reticle on one of my ARs, and I like it, for what it is. (An inexpensive ACOG-ish optic for use on one of my plinkers.)

But it's not as good of an option as a red dot with flip-to-side 3x magnifier, for the kind of stuff for which you'd usually be using a 10.5" AR.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I met Weshowe at the range today and got an Aimpoint COMP M3 in trade. It was in mint condition! He even put in a fresh battery for me. I installed it and got a 50 yard zero. The shots in the 10-ring are the last shots after final adjustment.

Now I need to hit an empty spot in the forest and practice quick target shooting. Barely had time to zero this one since I had two deer rifles to zero and a 629 revolver which will be my hunting sidearm this year. I retired the Sig 1911 from hunting duty.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Tony,

The pistol and aimpoint came together nicely. Accuracy is good as evidenced by you last groups.
Well done!

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post