SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Used Steyr Aug Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Steyr Aug Question Login/Join 
posted
Just a quick thought. Why does it seem that I never see any used AUGs for sale?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: phil in indy,

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently sold my 903 preban, there are more than a few on Gunbroker if you're hunting for one.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
My LGS just had one, it sold pretty quickly. I don’t normally see many of them locally.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've looked on Gunbroker but maybe didn't dig far enough, because the ads I see are for new ones. I Might have to take another look. I've wanted one for years ever since a dearly departed friend of mine let me shoot his title 2 AUG on multiple occasions years ago. God was that thing SWEET.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of the deal might me that you can buy new ones for several hundred dollars less than they used to sell for. I remember them being in the $2500 give or take range for quite a while. New ones today are $17-1800. Hard to get back what you might of had to pay for one years ago.

They are really nice rifles. ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
IIRC the originals were not imported but a few (maybe 5-6?) years before the Bush admin banned them (and a lot of other nice firearms ) in 1989

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Part of the deal might me that you can buy new ones for several hundred dollars less than they used to sell for. I remember them being in the $2500 give or take range for quite a while. New ones today are $17-1800. Hard to get back what you might of had to pay for one years ago.

They are really nice rifles. ;-)

They are really nice rifles! AIR, I paid around $500/$550 NIB for mine in 1987(?). Back when I held a FFL. Still got that AUG with maybe 1000 rds. thru it. Not particularly concerned about any monetary gain or loss if I ever decide to sell.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$550 for a NIB!!! Don't you wish you'd bought a half dozen?

Can't remember what hear it was but I remember a Buddy picked one up for around $2k or so and I was drooling. IIRC he parted with it in the $2500 or so range. Later on I picked up a TPD version which was a VERY nice factory clone that was 2k or so. Since then I've picked up a couple new factory models that are $1800 to $2400 depending on which mags and which optics you want. FWIW you can find factory AUG mags pretty reasonably priced right now. And I wouldn't bother with the Factory optics versions, you can buy better optics for what the price difference is............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why buy a used Preban AUG when you can buy a new one for much, much less. Preban AUG's usually sell for upwards of 3 grand and current generation AUG's for less than 2 grand depending on optics and features? I don't see the appeal of the Preban AUG's unless you're a collector since both the rifles are essentially the same.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
Why buy a used Preban AUG when you can buy a new one for much, much less. Preban AUG's usually sell for upwards of 3 grand and current generation AUG's for less than 2 grand depending on optics and features? I don't see the appeal of the Preban AUG's unless you're a collector since both the rifles are essentially the same.

I’m kind of with you on that, unless you get the AUG A2 which are typically $6K+ The original preban AUG has a 1.5x optic which is like no magnification at all ... something I never really understood. The A3 has a 3x optic which is around $600 if I remember correctly.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
I've looked on Gunbroker but maybe didn't dig far enough, because the ads I see are for new ones. I Might have to take another look. I've wanted one for years ever since a dearly departed friend of mine let me shoot his title 2 AUG on multiple occasions years ago. God was that thing SWEET.

... keep looking!

I bought an MSAR (the body uses AR mags) with a Burris 1-4x24 TAC30/PEPR mount. Then a Steyr A3 (uses Steyr mags) with a Trijicon 1.5x16s AD QD mount. Sold both, miss the A3 a lot.

I have an opportunity to buy it back and I will.

In the meantime, don't forget to look at:

pjs-steyraug

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted Hide Post
The preban AUG’s are for collectors now, not really for the shooting group of people. I have an almost new one, in the box, black, 16 inch barrel one. I have never fired it and keep it for collecting. I bought it at least 15 years ago and chased it for several gun shows until I had enough money to finally buy it. It’s just one I had to have and was able to finally get it. It’s one where, unless I sell of my collection, I won’t ever sell it. It’s just such a unique rifle and so well balanced.....plus, not just a whole lot of prebans out there with the box and accessories to find.

Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an A3 picked up used, sub-1500, no optics, very clean.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
IIRC the originals were not imported but a few (maybe 5-6?) years before the Bush admin banned them (and a lot of other nice firearms ) in 1989

Originally, there were 6000 Green 20" and 3000 Black 16", and 1500 Special Receiver's (that were receiver's only, no complete SR guns were imported) then when the Bush impoprt ban took effect in 89 it cut them off until96/97 and 3000 got in as the USR; Grey 18" non-threaded barrel and the knob on the QR barrel release was cut off. It was the nutered version of their A2 receiver it had the improved charge handle and the 1.5x scope was removable so a picitinny rail could be installed the rail also had mounting points for NATO rings.

I've had all the incarnations up to the A3 which I have yet to see a reason to buy, my A2 with the NATO stock and a trigger-tamer and a selection of 16", 20" & 24" barrels is all my needs require.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger 2 Tank:
It’s just such a unique rifle and so well balanced.....

Confused Trying to figure out how balance matters on a rifle you don't shoot. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post