SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Suggestions for SIG 516
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Suggestions for SIG 516 Login/Join 
posted
I am planning to make a foray into the world of rifle shooting.

I have a SIG 516 patrol FDE and would like to add a scope. I have done some research and there are an abundance of choices out there. At the present time I am not up to speed on the specifications / features and the attendant benefits and would appreciate any input from forum members on what you have used and would recommend.

I am a member of one of the largest outside gun ranges in the southeast that has many venues for pistol and rifles. The rifle ranges are 100 yards, 200 yards, 400 yards and 1000 yards.

For starters the intended distance(s) is up to 400 yards.

Thank you for your input.

Posts: 21 | Registered: December 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
There's dozens of great scopes out there for the AR. The only limitation is your wallet. What's your budget ? In the "under $600" range I would look at the Steiner P4xi or the Leupold 1-4 Patrol. If you budget is higher then that opens up a whole nother level ....

-Mike

Steiner P4xi at Optics Planet

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
You'll likely need to provide more info on what you want to accomplish and what you expect out of the optic before you will get any useful recommendations.

Are you shooting 1in circles at 400 or 12in plates? Is this strictly a bench gun for you or will it be used for defensive purposes? Perhaps 3 gun or similar shooting games? Budget? Are you going to go past 400 at some point?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, as the others have already said, knowing the budget window you're working with will help.

On my 516 for example, I have a Trijicon 4X ACOG, ( TA31F ) https://www.trijicon.com/na_en...oduct3.php?pid=TA31F that I've been using for two and three gun competitions. Comes in real handy at 100 yards and beyond targets.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For starters, shooting at plates at 50 to 200 yards.

Thank you for the input / recommendations gents.

Posts: 21 | Registered: December 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I use a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 for the distances you stated. I've been very pleased with the performance.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FredS1974:
For starters, shooting at plates at 50 to 200 yards.

Thank you for the input / recommendations gents.

This is good advice:

quote:
Originally posted by Hamfisted:
There's dozens of great scopes out there for the AR. The only limitation is your wallet. What's your budget ? In the "under $600" range I would look at the Steiner P4xi or the Leupold 1-4 Patrol. If you budget is higher then that opens up a whole nother level ....

-Mike

Steiner P4xi at Optics Planet

As is the Vortex PST recommended by Vincent.

If this is a range only gun you could forget about 1-x on the low end and go with something like a 2.5-10.

I was shooting at plates out to 500 yesterday with a Steiner 1-5 and more magnification on the long range stuff would be very welcome. It all depends on the size of your targets.

1-4/5/6x scopes are not designed for and do not excel at shooting tiny groups. And in general they are best at man-sized down to 10inch plates at longer ranges.

Six inch plates pose a real problem to 400 plus yards, generally the reticle will cover them entirely.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I started out with a TA31F ACOG on mine but found it to limiting for anything over 200 yards. So I switched to a Bushnell Tactical Elite 3.5-21X50 G2DMR.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome and congrats on the Sig.

As others have pointed out, most prefer higher power for long range.

But you might also consider the rifle it's going to be mounted on.

I too have a 516 patrol, and a precision rifle in 308.

I've got a 6-24x with a 50 mm objective on the precision gun, and find it invaluable.

My Sig516 patrol currently has a 1-4x scope, which is great for close in to 100 or so yards.

I've got it mounted with a decent quick detach mount, so it's easy to switch - planning to try a 10x scope on it soon, as 4x is tough for me to make small groups at or beyond 100 yards.

FYI, most of my recent scopes have been Vortex, two PSTs, really love them. You can sometimes get great deals on scopelist site:
http://www.scopelist.com

Good luck.
Bruce

Posts: 6 | Registered: October 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms Gen 3, ACSS 1x-6x.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at a Steiner P4Xi for my 516. I shoot mostly in the 100 yard to 300 yard distances and it seems to offer everything I need for that.

Right now Optics Planet is offering a free mount with the purchase of this scope.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post