SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    We Got My Brother An Unusual Christmas Present
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Got My Brother An Unusual Christmas Present Login/Join 
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
That is a most excellent gift...

Back in the day my brother, dad and myself used to do a lot of 22LR shooting. With a nice rifle like this you can do a lot of very exact plinking.

We took straightened out clothes hanger wire and made vertical suspension shooting target holders. (alternating cut sections of plastic pipe/wood clothespin/pipe repeat). These are the clamp type (wire spring) wooden Clothespins. (You can just run a slot down a 2x4 and accomplish the same by standing up cards in the slot).

On those wood clothespins we put various playing cards.

You try to shoot out aces, hearts, spades, eye of joker/queen/king, etc. Turn some cards sideways and try and shoot cards in two. With a solid 22LR rifle this is doable with iron sights.

Include a few wooden kitchen matches and try and shoot sticks in two or light them.

Great fun and challenging.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's very lucky to have a brother like you.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Where did you find that beautiful rifle? How unique. I sure hope to see it in person one day.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where the hell did you find that at? Un-issued, un-fired? Really cool and unique gift......I'm sure he'll love it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
So how did it he like it? Any followup?

Posts: 17102 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A beautiful example and a really fine gift.

I also have an Enfield .22 trainer from Australia.

Unfortunately, mine is not nearly so pristine. It's an example of what I call "history writ in steel".

My trainer started life as a .303 long Magazine Lee-Metford RIFLE MK II made by B.S.A. & M. in 1893 when Victoria was Queen. It's marked VR for Victoria Regina.

In 1904 Sparkbrook converted the long Lee-Metford to a Srt. L.E. CONd II rifle. Still in .303 caliber.

Sometime after April 1915 (but before the end of 1918); the above was again converted (by A. G. Parker & Co. of Birmingham) to a .22 rim fire trainer.
It became .22 RF Pattern 1914 Short Rifle No. 1.

According to my reference books only 427 of the above were ever made! It is certainly one of those "you wish could talk"!

So what's the Australian connection? Way back when I held a FFL; I bought this .22 directly from its CA importer. We had several conversations before
I purchased (it wasn't real bargain). The seller advised this rifle was found among of a shipment on "standard" Aussie .303's he had imported.
He knew this one would bring several times the $75 surplus Enfields were then bringing! I had previously bought several other Lithgow made Enfields from him.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I would have loved to see his reaction.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
That is a VERY cool rifle. I have a buddy who's more into milsurp-style rifles than I am, and he would absolutely love to have one of those.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great gift!

How did he react when getting it?

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
I love that rifle! Have to put that on my radar. Great find and greater gift!

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
That's really cool.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Richard was surprised.

He went over every inch of it and refused to shoot it.

He was sending pix to his son and grandchildren.

At first he was like, what a super nice old Enfield......... HOLY SHIT!!!!!! It's a .22 trainer!!!!!!!

He surprised SC with a golf cart for his property. Now we can scoot the cart up to the range with all the stuff in the back.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
That is freaking nice. That’s one helluva gift.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Big Grin

Posts: 17102 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding gift from an outstanding brother. I love those .22 Enfield trainers...

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post