SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any Turkey Hunters? Benelli Choke Tube / Load Combinations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Turkey Hunters? Benelli Choke Tube / Load Combinations? Login/Join 
posted
As the title says I'm looking for a pairing for a Benelli SBE2.

Any setups you have good patterning success with?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comp n choke triple extra full Winchester. #5 3 “ magnum...

Posts: 32 | Location: Greendale, WI | Registered: September 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hevishot choke and Hevishot #5 3 1/2”. This combo is no joke 60 yards good. I don’t take that kind of shot, but have dropped reluctant birds at 50. HS magnum blend (5,6,7) also patterns well but not as well as the straight #5.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Truloc Longbeard Choke/Winchetser Longbeard XR #6, 3in is what I run on my Vinci. I used the same load/choke on my Mossberg and could hit at 50 easily.

Truloc will also swap you chokes until you find one that patterns well.

In the end, even in the same brand or model of gun, the load/choke your gun likes will likely be differnt. At any rate, Id start with the Longbeard XR, jsut cant be beat for the price.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 responses and 3 different pairings, that are all different from the two other pairings I've been recommended by others. LOL

Sounds like there are a lot of good combinations out there. Guess I just need to pick one and go with it.

Pretty amazing the patterns some of these things put out going by online pattern pictures.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Every gun is a law unto itself". Big Grin

Other than switching to Federal ammo with flitecontrol wads recently, which tightened things up, I have have no single suggestion.

I have three guns I use, two are Benelli's, one an NEF. One likes 4's, one 5's, one 6's.

The Super Nova uses a Carlson's "Dead Coyote" choke.
The SBE is cut down, so choices are limited to Carlson's thin wall chokes, using their turkey choke. That one is the "least good" of the three, but still quite usable. Both 12ga 3 1/2 shells.

The NEF is a 10ga, with IIRC a Gobble Stopper choke. That sucker throws usable patters out close to 70 yards.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is true that different guns with different chokes and loads can pattern somewhat differently.

It is usually safe to assume that harder shot, buffers, and the latest wads will tighten up patterns, but it isn't certain.

You have to try whatever you settle on to see if it gives you what you want. It may not matter so much at shorter ranges, but if you want to shoot game at 50 yards and more, you must pattern your gun with your load.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through about a dozen choke/load combinations to figure out what my SBE likes best. Expensive, but well worth it. It’s really the only way to maximize your setup for longer range shots. I’ll post some photos later this week of patterns.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Last few times I turkey hunted I used my Benelli M2, .675 Trulock Precision Hunter choke and a 3” Hevi-Shot #6 shot.

Yes, lots of good choices, for a 25 yard shot, most anything will work.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Yes, lots of good choices, for a 25 yard shot, most anything will work.

At 25 yards you can use a 20 ga, IC choke, and 2 3/4" 7.5's.

Gotta try them to know but I'd start with the factory Benelli choke and move on if its not good enough. Chances are it will be.

I shoot the factory Remington X-Full choke in my 11-87 paired with 3" Federal Premium #5's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Another + for the full or extra full that came with the gun. Put it on paper at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards. If the pattern is not to your satisfaction then look at an aftermarket extra full.

I like Heavi-Shot #4 or #5.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I promised this earlier, but I was busy doing the real thing!

Patterns with SBE2, HeviShot Choke and Hevi #5. Pattern at 60 almost as good as at 50.

The results from yesterday. A nice, old 20 pound Osceola. I was solo, so no hero pic...