SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lever carbine, most useful caliber?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever carbine, most useful caliber? Login/Join 
posted
Got a hankering to get a pistol caliber LEVER gun. Was impressed with the henry carbines.
I can reload for them all.
No idea what to use it for. Probably more plinking than anything.
Thinking 357 in 16" barrel has the most range?
Kinda rural. Sometimes carry a holstered Smith, either a 28 or a 29 4inch. Got a bullsnake with the 44 shot load. Wanted to shoot the fed ex kid but resisted.
What's the longest practical range for the 357 in 16" barrel? Old eyes. Probably throw some rear peep sights on it.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
.357 Magnum. You can get some righteous muzzle velocity out of full power .357 loads in a 16" barrel, even higher velocity in the 18.5" barrel of a Marlin 1894CS. You can shot your rifle ammo in your .357 revolver and you can shoot the .38 Special ammo from your S&W J frame in your rifle, if needed. Very versatile, the .357 lever action rifle, and plenty of power to take deer-sized game at moderate distances.

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I second the 357. Buffalo Bore has ammo that tops 2k FPS out of an 18.5" barrel. I have a 20" Henry Steel Boy and can easily hit steel poppers at 100 yards with 38+P. I replaced the buckhorn barrel mounted rear sight with a receiver mounted peep. My rifle is most accurate with 357 loads, although it's pretty good with 38 special as well.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Got a hankering to get a pistol caliber LEVER gun. Was impressed with the henry carbines.
I can reload for them all.
No idea what to use it for. Probably more plinking than anything.
Thinking 357 in 16" barrel has the most range?
Kinda rural. Sometimes carry a holstered Smith, either a 28 or a 29 4inch. Got a bullsnake with the 44 shot load. Wanted to shoot the fed ex kid but resisted.
What's the longest practical range for the 357 in 16" barrel? Old eyes. Probably throw some rear peep sights on it.

357 lever gun get the most out of your full house 357 hand loads. I have williams peep on my Marlin but may switch over to a reflex. range 100 yards no problem. I shoot at the steel at our range that is @at 200. I know the trajectory pretty well so easily man size target at 200 with some practice and my full house loads 125 and 140. Well broken in so very slick action.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to cast my ballot for 44 magnum, based largely on its overall energy, coupled with relatively little recoil in a rifle. However, the 357 magnum is a faster round, resulting in less drop as distances extend. For that reason, it does standout in a way the .44 cannot. And, 357 is typically cheaper and easier to find for the non-reloader.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 357.
Lever action rifle or revolver, I think it offers the most versatility.
Super hot 357 or super mild 38spcl.

Also cost, 357 isn’t exactly cheap, but go price some 44mag and THEN price some 44spcl (if you can find it)

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
.357mag.

My Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited is .357. Didn't consider a .44 mag because I already had a couple of .357mag revolvers Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna go with 357 also. I have 2 Henry's one in 357 Big Boy All Weather 20" barrel and the Henry 44mag Big Boy Steel in 16".

I prefer the 357 for Az with a 180 Underwood Flat Lead NosE or the 140GR extreme penetrator.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I love my .357 lever guns.

(okay, one of those is a 30-30, but still)

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For overall efficiency: .357
And replacing the el cheapo OEM sights is a must.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a Marlin 1894CSBL in .357Mag last week and it’s already one of my favorite guns. I just shot it again today and did a little video. I should have it done tomorrow. I highly recommend a .357Mag.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I'm in the hunt for a lever action, but I'm going with .44 Magnum because it's a cartridge I hunt with frequently.

I do own .357's and can hunt with them, but I prefer the .44 Magnum.

But....the .357 lever action is the more practical choice of the two calibers.

Did I say....I'm going to need two lever action rifles??? LOL!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have 1894s in .45 Colt and .357 Mag. The .45 Colt packs a whallop, but if I had to pick only one I'd keep the .357. The increase in velocity that the longer barrel will wring out of that cartridge is mind-boggling, and shooting light .38 specials out of it is about like shooting a .22.

My .357 is incredibly accurate, and it's just lighter enough than the .45 Colt to make a difference. It's my favorite rifle. Unless you are already heavily invested in a different caliber, I'd say go with the .357.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
One of the guns on my wish list is a lever rifle in .45 Colt, but I'll also concede that a .357Mag/.38Spl is probably more versatile. I don't have any particular use in mind for mine when I get it, just a fun shooter to go with my .45 Colt revolvers.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I have 1894s in .45 Colt and .357 Mag. The .45 Colt packs a whallop, but if I had to pick only one I'd keep the .357. The increase in velocity that the longer barrel will wring out of that cartridge is mind-boggling, and shooting light .38 specials out of it is about like shooting a .22.

My .357 is incredibly accurate, and it's just lighter enough than the .45 Colt to make a difference. It's my favorite rifle. Unless you are already heavily invested in a different caliber, I'd say go with the .357.

I’m very pleased with the precision of my 1894 with 357 but it’s much less precise with 38. Is yours like that too? I’m only shot reloads from LAX so far (both calibers).

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester '94 in .45 Colt to go with my Colt SAA revolvers in .45 Colt.

I am looking for a lever-action in .44-40 to go with my Colt SAA in .44-40.

I have a Winchester '94 in .44 magnum to go with my Ruger Blackhawk in .44 magnum.

I don't have any single-action revolvers in .357 magnum.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have been getting the itch for the new Henry X model Big Boy in .357.

It has both the loading gate and the tube mag.

I'm not sure if it will be CA legal as it has a threaded barrel.

Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I'd love to fond an older Marlin in .41mag

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A video of shooting the Marlin 1894CSBL from yesterday. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

posted Hide Post
I recently bought a 44-40 Uberti 1873 Replica and was more than pleased with its shooting.

I could not find a 6 gun in 44-40 that I liked, so I bought two in 45 Colt, a Taylor Smoke Wagon with a 4 3/4 barrel and a Taylor replica of the 1858 Remington conversion, also in 45 Colt with an 8 (I think) inch barrel.

Now I am hung up on whether to buy a 45 Colt Carbine or keep looking for that 44-40 6 gun.

I do have a Marlin 38-55 which is a real shooter and I recently got an El Tigre in 44-40 which is the only Spanish-made gun I will ever have.

I had a 357 in a 92 Rossi Carbine, an older one, pre-safety, but I just could not seem to warm up to it.

I know the 357 is a powerful cartridge, but the old ones, the 44-40 and 38-55 especially are big, and will do anything I want to do with a carbine.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post