SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Why Do Shotguns(in general) Have Such High Terminal Effectiveness??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Do Shotguns(in general) Have Such High Terminal Effectiveness?? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
If you drop a pebble into a puddle you get ripples.

If you drop a car door onto a puddle the puddle goes away.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
If you drop a pebble into a puddle you get ripples.

If you drop a car door onto a puddle the puddle goes away.

This made my day. Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Choke, spread etc for common civilian across the living room defense use is close to meaningless. At the ranges involved in home defense a shotgun is essentially a large bore rifle.

True. Just take your shotgun to the range and pattern it 1t 7-10 yds with the larget shot the range will allow. You cannot kill multiple targets with one shot. If you "aim" at 4 targets "in the front row', you won't make a single kill shot.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Lots of holes. 1 ounce of lead.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scooter has it exactly right. That is why you can miss with a shotgun,contrary to the various myths about shotguns, barrel length not withstanding.
For CQC a shotgun is most assuredly a superior weapon, but only in skilled hands belonging to someone who actually has trained with the weapon and can instantly qualify its limitations and applications.
I actually work in scenarios like room clearing in close quarters and nothing will put someone down fast as a solid hit with #1 to 0 buck, even if they are protected by armor they will be going down at least temporarily and can be finished with an anchor shot to a less protected area. But the concept that all one has to do is point the shotgun down the hall and pull the trigger is the great "shotgun myth", I don't know about whether or not it has ever gotten anyone killed or wounded, but I do know that not knowing the limitations and advantages of the weapon one is using has done so-many times.
I am tending to favor slugs at close ranges and going for a pelvic cradle shot. Crack the BGs pelvic cradle and he will lose interest in most other things, he will still be able to shoot but he will not be in the best condition to do so effectively and you have probably inflicted a fatal bleeder wound.
I have several rifled barrel 12 gauges and with most of them if you are within 150 meters you are in big trouble. My favorite is the Browning A Bolt W/Acog, next favorite is a long barrel 1100 with matching magazine W/2X scope. These are obviously not for CQC but have tremendous knockdown power.
With the 870, 1100 or Mossberg you can have quick change barrels that will meet most urban situations. My carry cases for those weapons include both short smooth bore and rifled barrels with a barrel extension for the optic on the rifled barrels.
Properly used by a properly trained operator the modern combat shotgun is an extremely effective weapon. Just not 4 people at 10 meters-unless they are in line and you are using a slug.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post