SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bula Defense M14 Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bula Defense M14 Questions Login/Join 
posted
The Bula M14 is offered with either a 22 inch "Modified USGI" barrel or a "National Match" barrel.

Question 1). Does anyone know how much thicker the National Match barrel is than the Modified USGI one?

Question 2). What does "Modified USGI" mean?

Their website notes that the National Match version comes with a USGI Composite Handguard and not the Wooden Handguard. I emailed them these questions last month but never got a response. They must be pretty busy. Figured someone here would be able to shed some light on this. Thanks.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The modified USGI configuration means that the barrel is thicker at the chamber end of the barrel. Original M14 and Garand barrels have a funky taper which makes it hard to clamp the barrel in a vise. Modified barrels are a straight 1.1” diameter for about 2 or 3 inches before making a rounded taper down to GI thickness. That gives the builder more meat to grab onto when installing the barrel.

The medium weight barrel is a standard medium weight profile that will be just like a loaded. I’ll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed input Tony. Looking forward to hearing about the diameter of the National Match barrel. Even though I won't be shooting competition matches with one, I'm leaning toward getting the National Match version just because I like the thought of having one with a heavier barrel. But in reality, would the standard M14 with the Modified USGI barrel be a good one to go with?

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I always recommend the medium weight barrel. GI profile barrels will have POI shifts as the barrel changes temperature. Heavier barrels are less likely to drift.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sound advice, appreciate it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
Other than Bbl profile-
Nat'l Match Hvy Bbls has a thicker op rod guide lug.

Inquire to ascertain IF their op rods are re-welds or IF there are any mil spec parts used.

As I understand it, Bula makes their own parts in house.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post