SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you had a couple of grand to drop on an AR
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had a couple of grand to drop on an AR Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
KAC, or JP Enterprises, are my top two.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
2 grand to spend on an AR? I'd buy 3 of them. They so cheap to buy now days.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Lol, 1 to shoot and 2 to gather dust in the safe!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Lol, 1 to shoot and 2 to gather dust in the safe!

Agreed. I’d rather one good gun like a KAC than three Hobby Guns.

My picks:

KAC
Hodge
FN Tac II
LMT MARS

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
If I had a couple of thousand and looking for an AR I might be tempted to go with the HK. I’ve been wanting to try their upper.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Ive handled and shot a few KACs and they're very nice.

Nowadays, it's hard not to look at a BCM or a DD and suppressor but if a really nice AR is what you're looking for I'd but a KAC.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Maybe a MP5 Clone and SBR it? That would be a heck of a fun gun.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
KAC, or JP Enterprises, are my top two.

Truth.

JP rifles with their LMOS carriers, captive silent buffer, and an adjustable gas block are a thing of beauty.

Everyone who shoots one of mine says, "Wow, how do you get it to shoot like that?"

Their barrels are top notch for precision also.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
The first question to your friend is, "What is your goal?"

Given the price range, building an AR can be an even better option -- assuming your friend truly knows what he wants, and that a talented 'smith will assemble the parts. I went down this path not that long ago, and it resulted in my most accurate AR. I'm not saying my assembled rifle works for all people, but an idea of the components include:
- Krieger 20" match barrel 1:7.7" twist. Probably the most critical part in this build
- Wilson Combat BCG, NP3 plated
- SI Defense match upper & lower
- Wilson Combat trigger
- Wilson Combat trim rail
- Magpul PRS stock

Have your friend start with a plan, not just a dollar range.

Also this.

The difference between building and buying a high end rifle can be the difference between having cash left over to put toward mounts and optics.

On certain components, I'm not afraid to buy used to save some scratch.

Stocks, optics (from the right maker), etc. I recently built on a used Mega Monolithic upper because the price was right and it was essentially unfired.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I’d get another Citizen Arms and some sort of optic.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd hire Fritz for an hour or two to talk through the requirements and design. Then based on that, I'd go shopping and buy what he recommended.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Keep a chunk set aside for a good optic.

Or not, if it's just gonna be wall art.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
With that kind of budget I'd cherry pick what components I want and build my own. Off the shelf, I like KAC for DI and PWS for piston though an SSA-E is a must for me these days.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oilpatch29:
Patriot Ordnance Factory or LWRC

Yep, I’d go piston with the POF. They’re tanks.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920 with an Aimpoint PRO. Swap the stock furniture for Magpuls and add several P-mags.

That should run just under 2 grand and do everything for you.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: May 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brickboy240:
Colt 6920 with an Aimpoint PRO. Swap the stock furniture for Magpuls and add several P-mags.

That should run just under 2 grand and do everything for you.

That should run under 1k.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I'd go with one of PWS Alpha rifles (preferably an sbr) and throw an aimpoint t2 and mini scout light on it. If budget allows also a magnifier, otherwise take whats left and get some mags and ammo.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
In my order of preference:

SCAR 16
LWRC
Daniel Defense M4V7
Sig 516 Patrol
Colt OEM 2, adding desired furniture

Depending on intended use and desire for low weight, optics would be one of the following:

Aimpoint Micro
Aimpoint Pro
Trijicon RS24-C 1-4x24
Trijicon TR24R 1-4x24
Vortex Razor HD Gen II-E 1-6x24

All would get a Geissele trigger.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Barrett REC7 in both DI and piston.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
This thread goes nicely with my retirement gift thread. Got a bit more to consider now. Big Grin

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post