SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you had a couple of grand to drop on an AR
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had a couple of grand to drop on an AR Login/Join 
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
PWS for piston,
Daniel Defense for DI

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A cheaper but quality AR and a variety of top shelf optics ! Aimpoint Micro, ACOG, etc.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
KAC, or JP Enterprises, are my top two.

Truth.

JP rifles with their LMOS carriers, captive silent buffer, and an adjustable gas block are a thing of beauty.

Everyone who shoots one of mine says, "Wow, how do you get it to shoot like that?"

Their barrels are top notch for precision also.

^^^ This.

And I did. I purchased a JP awhile back and it is by far my favorite AR. Very accurate and very nicely finished. My other AR's are a Colt, two Rock Rivers and an Armalite. I'd take another JP in a heart beat.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had a couple of grand to spend on the rifle alone, I'd pick up a LMT mars-l lower and mate it to a knights mod 2 upper. I picked up a mars-l lower a few months ago and as a right handed shooter I really enjoy being able to lock the bolt back and release it with my trigger finger.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
LWRC, LMT or PWS. I went with PWS.

PWS is way up there on my list too.
If I didn't build them myself I would look there.
PS...I have used many PWS parts in my builds too.

JP Enterprises is equally on my list too.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
KAC!!!!

+1

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
MSTN
http://mstn.biz

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I passed on the suggestions. Our LGS just got in a shipment of ar-15 that includes Daniel defense so he can check those out

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I passed on the suggestions.

Has he figured out what kind of AR he wants?

flat top, so optics mount well
uber reliable defensive carbine
long distance / precision rifle
SBR
223/5.56 -- or maybe other calibers

He has considered a budget for non-AR items? Depending the configuration above, not all will be applicable.

optics
optics mount
light
bipod
sling
backup sights
muzzle device
suppressor
magazines
case

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
A cheaper but quality AR and a variety of top shelf optics ! Aimpoint Micro, ACOG, etc.

This has merit too.

I could outfit a Palmetto build with a white light, optic and silencer for under 2k.

Or close to it.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
I passed on the suggestions.

Has he figured out what kind of AR he wants?

He needs to ask himself this question. Buying by brand is not a great way to buy an AR, in many ways.

What does he want to do with it?

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
He's getting started my guess is range use mostly, he has a budget ar now with a scope and other accessories our range is 25 yards but we have a few 100 yd and longer that he wants to use pretty sure a flat top rail design probably a piston rifle.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think I'd do a couple grand on an AR 1 maybe 1.5 tops. If you mean full package then sure but thats optics, can, trigger and everything.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with a Daniel Defense V11 Pro a couple of years ago for about $300 less than two grand and have been very happy with it.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another plug for the JP. I have an LRP-07 that is just an outstanding rifle. Fit, finish, and accuracy are all top notch.

Next on the list when I have funds is a JP in 5.56 and a 6.5 upper for the LRP-07 as well.

JP support is awesome as well.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. my guess is range use mostly
2. our range is 25 yards but we have a few 100 yd and longer that he wants to use
3. pretty sure a flat top rail design
4. probably a piston rifle.

1&2 -- In all honesty, even for his second AR, I don't think he needs to spend $2k to $3k for such use. Finding the preferred upper and lower when they're on sale (maybe Palmetto?) makes a lot a sense. Even his budget AR should perform well for the given range distances.

3 -- OK, so he wants an optic. Unless he's shooting for gnat's ass precision at 100 yards, a low-to-mid power scope makes the most sense.

4 -- Why piston and not DI? Is he planning on high-volume suppressed shooting or does he have issues cleaning the bolt? I have both DI and piston uppers. Sure, the piston BCG cleans with just a wipe off. But I clean, lube, and inspect my DI ARs after suppressed use in no more than 15 minutes.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Prices have dropped and he doesn't have to spend that amount but thats the budget so who am I to dissuade him from adding to the Trump Economy's growth Big Grin ...

My guess is he could spend from $1500 to $2000 and get what he wants in a total package. He does shoot his ar quite a bit, and he does like precision so a better than Gun Show optic is something he should consider.

Piston vs DI, just my guess since his current AR is a piston, and cleaning is probably part of it as well as familiarity.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Coupla grand? I'd buy a Les Baer.... I like the TRS in .45 ACP myself, but that's just me. Big Grin

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt 6720 or 6920 a good optic ( trijicon acog) a bunch of mags and ammo and tuition to the gunsite 223 course!

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Piston vs DI, just my guess since his current AR is a piston, and cleaning is probably part of it as well as familiarity.

Understand that not every brand or model offers piston and DI options. For example, if he's high on the DD rifles that recently arrived at the LGS, then he may only have DI options. I may not be up to speed with current offerings, but I believe Daniel Defense only makes DI.