SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you had a couple of grand to drop on an AR
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had a couple of grand to drop on an AR Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
What would you get, friend asked, he's got several grand in fun money to replace his old AR.

Suggestions have been

New MCX
LWRC
Christensen Arms

Just wondered what others here would buy if they were given a budget of $2 to $3K to spend.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LMT's are VERY nice. I also really like the LWRC DI models. You could get the LWRC DI and an excellent optic for under 2K. I had a LWRC piston gun and didn't like it, ended up trading it off.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
LWRC, LMT or PWS. I went with PWS.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Me?
If I had 3k burning a hole in my pocket I'd pick up a SCAR17

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Daniel Defense, Aimpoint T2, Geissele SD-C, Surefire Scout light, case of ammo, stack of Lancers.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
++++This....lucky devil!

quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Daniel Defense, Aimpoint T2, Geissele SD-C, Surefire Scout light, case of ammo, stack of Lancers.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Knights Armament SR15 would be my first pick then BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT or Colt.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
BCM
ACOG + micro red dot
Surefire Scout
50 Okay magazines
BFG sling

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I haven an MCX, so I would go:

Knights (KAC)
LWRC
Daniel Defense or BCM

If I had to buy a factory gun.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tough to justify spending that much in this market, it would be a good excuse to get a KAC though...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If I HAD to spend several grand on AR's, I'd end up with several AR's.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
SCAR - any version. No doubt.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patriot Ordnance Factory or LWRC

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
BCM 16" decked out with Vortex 1-6 or Aimpoint Comp M5.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Knight SR15

Followed by

JP Side charger

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first question to your friend is, "What is your goal?" If it's just to spend a lot of cash on a rifle, then pick a name from an expensive pool and be done with it. If it's to obtain one of the finest AR's money can buy, then have a plan.

I suspect this won't be a carbine with iron sights. At least I hope so, because there's no need to spend this kind of money for such a gun. So I will assume a flat top rifle -- one capable of a wearing a quality optic, so the shooter can hit targets accurately at distance. Does he have a budget for optics? Or at least an idea of things like magnification, reticle, adjustment options (elevation & windage)? For a higher end rifle, a quality scope can easily cost as much as the rifle.

There a number of good AR-15's in the $2k to $3k range. Whether or not one is better than the next depends on the owner's desires and needs. Options may include:
-- LWRC, LMT, Christensen Arms, Daniel Defense, Wilson Combat, Larue, Black Rain Ordnance, Bravo Company, Knights Armament, Les Bauer, Noveske, JP. And certainly others. I wouldn't go with Colt, as IMO their products aren't in the league of these. The money's in the ballpark for a SCAR, too, but I don't really care for them.

Given the price range, building an AR can be an even better option -- assuming your friend truly knows what he wants, and that a talented 'smith will assemble the parts. I went down this path not that long ago, and it resulted in my most accurate AR. I'm not saying my assembled rifle works for all people, but an idea of the components include:
- Krieger 20" match barrel 1:7.7" twist. Probably the most critical part in this build
- Wilson Combat BCG, NP3 plated
- SI Defense match upper & lower
- Wilson Combat trigger
- Wilson Combat trim rail
- Magpul PRS stock

All the factory match or varmint ammo that I've shot through this gun easily produces sub-MOA 5-round groups at 100 yards. And 500 yards, too. The best factory ammo for it has produced a multiple groups between .3" to .5" at 100 yards. Sub MOA groups at 600+ yards at high elevation and light winds. It shoots as well as many bolt action rifles. But it also wears a Nightforce ATACR scope, which likely costs as much as I have in the rest of the rifle.

Have your friend start with a plan, not just a dollar range.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
LWRC FDE, w/ spirial fluted black barrel & controls!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Whatever it was I would likely SBR and definitely a suppressor. Smile

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
KAC!!!!

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
LMT. I just picked one up at a good price. Sold as used, but it was unfired! It has a quick change barrel so one can change calibers easily.

And they make receivers for KAC.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post