SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Found a DD5V1!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a DD5V1! Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
I can already guess the answer - of course not. But the inequality appears to be greater with AR10s than AR15s.

So in my looking for a new gun/rifle, I decided to look at a lot of the semi-auto 308 rifles, and the AR10 appeals to me the most. However, "AR10" seems to be a very broad title for a range of specs, compatabilities, and capabilities. One article says AR10s arent a standardised platformlike AR15s.

I am seeing some reviews saying PSA makes a decent AR10 but that the specs on some of their parts are unique to PSA.

Aero precision has one that comes up in searches a lot too.

Or the higher-priced, potentially higher-end? Daniel Defense DD5V1.

Without limiting it too much to one brand or whatnot, as i shop - What are some of the major things to look for when AR10 shopping? Whats most useful to know about these rifles? Are there different terms between ar15 and ar10s? Magazines is one concern i have. But what about twist rates and barrel lengths? I do also plan to suppress it, if that matters.

Thank you all!

**found DD5V1, posted a few replies down**

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PorterN,

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
What are your accuracy requirements?

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
What are your accuracy requirements?

I want to get a target bolt gun eventually, but this wont be it. This is more of a "battle rifle." Of course i dont want any accuracy issues, but I dont expect precision? I honestly dont know what to expcet from an AR10, i suppose.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Rifling is typically pretty standard for the .308 ARs: 1-10

16" is a pretty standard barrel length, though 18" options are available.

Most AR10s are going to vary from company to company. The companies listed below, ( and others ) have invested much more time and money into improving the AR10 platform, as opposed to other companies who've simply scaled up the basic AR15 design.

If you want quality and durability in a solid fighting rifle from a company that provides good support and customer service, I'd recommend looking toward PWS, SIG and Daniel Defense and checking out their .308 AR offerings.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I found a DD5V1 for sale locally. Private sale but never shot, and priced at $2000, which is considerably less than either local shop wanted.

Its a bit higher on my budget than i was expecting since i had first discredited the DD5 as too expensive, so itll delay some other projects. But after reviewing more AR10s, i am happier adding this to my safe than anything else.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I found a DD5V1 for sale locally. Private sale but never shot, and priced at $2000, which is considerably less than either local shop wanted.

Its a bit higher on my budget than i was expecting since i had first discredited the DD5 as too expensive, so itll delay some other projects. But after reviewing more AR10s, i am happier adding this to my safe than anything else.

Excellent news! Congratulations on a sweet deal for a kick ass rifle.

Don't be bashful when applying lube in those. They start off a bit snug so a thorough lubing, ( bolt, bolt carrier, buffer, buffer spring and the contact points of the charging handle ) will ensure smooth operation starting off.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice! It is very stiff and very dry. Now to find a scope for it. I was thinking a Vortex or similar 2-6x or 2-8x type scope. I dont need anything super long-range capable anyway. Ill start saving and start researching!

Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I have a DD5V1 and I absolutely love it. It is extremely accurate and very well balanced. I even harvested a buck with it last fall. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post