SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Initial Savage 110/Benchmark 5R range test. New personal accuracy record at 200yds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Initial Savage 110/Benchmark 5R range test. New personal accuracy record at 200yds Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I finally got a chance to shoot my new Savage 110 rebuild. It will only get better from here. It was a great, sunny and cool day at the range! I took it to the 200 yard line and got on paper with some Winchester white box 7.62 NATO ammo and broke in the barrel. After break-in, I went to the 175gr FGMM and let the action settle into the stock and I dialed in the scope. My last two groups of the day are the upper left corner and the center right.

I've never shot a 0.670" 5-shot group for 0.320 MOA at 200 with any rifle. Today I did. The next group opened up to 1.840" for 0.878 MOA

Today was just a warm-up and break-in. I still have to re-bed the action to the stock. I've got very slight contact on the right side of the barrel with the end of the forearm. I originally bed this action with a sporter barrel. Re-bedding this will remedy that. I also noticed that my thread protector shot slightly loose. I will remove it before doing any more accuracy testing from now on. I also still need to do a proper action screw torque procedure (whatever that is...)

Empty, this rifle weighs 11lbs, 15oz. It was a joy to shoot this rifle. It was very light on recoil and I could shoot it all day.

This has been a 6-year project and I'm very happy with it. Now I just need a better scope. The Zeiss will do, but I'm tempted to pull my Leupold MK4 ER/T off my M25 for a while.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking good. Get a can on that bad boy and it will be really easy to shoot.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That is excellent.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is good and will get better . I know a few guys who went with Savage and boy do they shoot good .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is terrific!! Smile

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Once I get it fine tuned and dialed in, I may have to start attending some long range shoots.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post