SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK mags Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So now that I have a new AK-47 variant , what are the best mags to get? It came with a PMAG, but I have heard the circle 10'a are good. Any good steel surplus ones? Where is a good place to buy?

Here's the gun ain't she purty?

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I've never actually come across a BAD surplus AK mag. I mean of course avoid the promags or other domestic AK mags (I have no experience with the MAGPUl ones but they are about the only ones I would chance).

Circle 10s are good
All the steel surplus "commie" mags have been reliable and much like an East German Figure Skater....strong like bull. Smile never a problem with any of them. Never tried the 20 round mags so You're on your own there.

I actually find the Circle 10s to be harder to rock and lock quickly then their steel counterparts. Probably as they feel a hair thicker.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have just short of a metric ton of Tapco mags. Yes the ones people like to talk bad about. I have had zero issues with them. For $3.99 I have no complaints.
I also have some PMags that work with no issues and a few Croatian mags.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the wood/color on it.It reminds me of what an AK really looks like. I have always had good luck with the fin backed metal mags. Prices are all over the place now,which is a good thing for us, as you can pick them up on the cheap side. Try GunMagWarehouse,they have some great deals over there. I have ordered from them many times.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
All I bother with. I have had several bad Romanians.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
The steel reinforced Pmags are good, along with US Palms:

https://uspalm.com/product/ak30-magazine/

Pretty much any European steel surplus mag will generally be good to go, ( though fitment can vary somewhat. ) I have a buch of BHOs similar to these:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/a...ew-vci-packaged.html

I'd recommend staying away from Korean AK mags. Chinese mags are generally G2G.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ranked according to my personal preference:

1) Bulgarian Circle 10 steel-reinforced polymer waffle mags. (Great mags, but they're generally $30+ apiece these days.)

2) Chinese flat-back steel mags. (Less common these days, but they're still out there, usually at only a few bucks more than a typical surplus steel mag.)

3) Hungarian 20 round steel mags. (Also less common these days, and ~$20+ apiece, but still available.)

4) Standard Eastern European steel mags. (The most prevalent. A good compromise between quality and price.)

5) High quality US-made polymer mags, like the PMAG or US Palm. (Especially if steel-reinforced.)

6) Bulgarian non-reinforced polymer mags. (Quality plastic, but the lack of reinforcement makes them less rugged than the reinforced polymer mags or steel mags.)

7) Yugoslavian/Croatian bolt-hold-open steel mags. (I don't really care for these; they have a follower that's designed to jam the bolt open after the last shot.)

99) Any of the cheap US-made non-reinforced polymer mags. (These are generally junk plastic from crappy manufacturers.)

My current stockpile consists of only 1 through 4.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
As far as steel goes, I've had really good luck with these in two Yugos and a converted Saiga. They're available elsewhere as well, but I got mine at

http://www.robertrtg.com/store...EEL-NEW-164p1643.htm

If you decide you want polymer, add Toth Tool mags to the list RogueJSK provided. They're not always available but they seem to be very good.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for the circle 10s. They are all I buy, but they are pricey.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, ordered some Bulgarian metal ones from CDNN and a circle 10, PMAG from Midway.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The only ones I'd really say to avoid are the aftermarket Korean ones.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
These Polish mags have worked great for me.

http://shop.akoperatorsunionlo...h-Radom-AK47-Mag.htm

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I like the standard ridgeback steel magazines for a -47. I've got somewhere a couple of the waffle polymers and what is it..Electro Opticon Bulgarians that are fine. I had a tight mag well on my MAK 90, so I had to scrape the molding flash off the top of the magazine to get it to fit.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post