SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Surprise Pawn Shop Find: SPAS-12
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise Pawn Shop Find: SPAS-12 Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Of all the things I'd expect to find in a pawn shop...

Just moved south of Indianapolis, noticed a very large (pole barn) pawn right by my house. Stopped in on a lark.

Lo and behold, nestled in with all the other shotguns, is a SPAS-12, with folding stock. Just like half the video games I've ever played, just like they had in Jurassic Park. I nerded out. I've never handled one in that configuration in person.

The shotgun itself was rough upon examination. Took some serious effort to rack the pump, took serious effort to actuate the mechanism converting from pump to auto. There is obvious wear on the heat shield, stock, and on the end of the barrel forward of the front sight, where I presume a muzzle device used to be.

The shop wanted $1300. I walked, since I've already got a Mossberg and two Benellis in tactical trim.

But I want that damn thing. Spent a lot of data usage looking up parts vendors (which, surprisingly, exist), trying to diagnose the stiffness in the pump mechanism, wondering if I could buy this thing, fix her, pretty her up, and maybe flip her if I get bored when the novelty wears off.

What do y'all think?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Franchi LAW for awhile, sold it to a guy who just had to have it. Ive always wished i kept it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Spas-12.com is your friend when it comes to parts as a few I promise will need to be replaced (mainly from age). The internal buffer would probably be the most important with the rear stock buffer not far behind.

If I recall correctly they are a bit stiff to pump, I'll have to dig mine out of the safe to verify. They do wear the rails on the heat shield naturally from being pumped. Mine also has marks on the receiver from folding/unfolding the stock. They definitely seem to cause plenty of cosmetic wear on themselves from normal operation. Part of it.

Check out the Spas-12 site I mentioned above, will give you an idea of the parts that most commonly are missing or worn.

They are one of the coolest/most recognizable guns out there. I plan to hang on to mine.

For anything serious? Meh.

Did the stock have the hook? Full-size/extended mag tube? Early or later model? (Easiest way to tell is how large the "SPAS 12" on the receiver is.)

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
I've never actually held one but I've heard they're heavier than a dying star. Did you find that to be the case?

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because you asked what we think.

Walk away.

I have messed with these shotguns before on behalf of someone else who thought they were cool. If you want a shotgun decide if you want a pump or a semiautomatic. The spas12 is a heavy cumbersome answer to a question that was never asked. The real world is different from the one in video games. There are so many good choices out there for a pump or semi don't waste your money on a spas12 that is not great at being either. Make your choice of action type and learn to be proficient with it.

My two cents.

Posts: 66 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple, the last one was $600, turned around and sold it for a grand ... Never did get it to work in auto ... As mentioned, they are a beast to carry ... even Arnold needed the arm hook to hold it one-handed in Terminator 2 IIRC

The price isn't bad, see if they'll take less. Because of its iconic status, there will always be a market for it when you get tired of it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The members above are dead on. It's been 20+ years since I handled and fired one, but I remember how heavy it was as well as very hard to rack.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one long ago, but sold it and don't regret doing so. Looks cool, but very heavy and bulky. I already had a Benelli M3 at the time, and that was so much better on almost every level.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

This would definitely not be a "practical" purchase. My Benelli M1014 and Mossberg 500 have auto and pump covered...and if I get bored with those, I pull the M1 Super 90 put of the safe.

This is more an "I've always wanted one" purchase, and having handled it (yes, heavier than a dying star), I know that at some point the novelty will wear off.

I will try to get pics up soon. The question really is, given price and condition, is this something I can buy and then get out of eventually, or am I going full retard?

I have already noted it's got the old lever safety, which if I understand the internets correctly will require me to replace it with a crossbolt (which I've already found).

To answer a previous poster's question, yes, the folding stock still has the arm hook on it.

If this thing hadn't been in some of my favorite movies ever, I'd probably ignore it...but it has, and there's the added giggle factor of passing it around on range days.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
The members above are dead on. It's been 20+ years since I handled and fired one, but I remember how heavy it was as well as very hard to rack.

Hmmm. I wondered if something was busted...a very stiff pump stroke is normal on these?

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
As far as the lever safety, you don't HAVE to replace it. There is a secondary trigger disconnect as well. I just use that instead of the lever on mine.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Since you already have some good shotguns, and it would be a just for fun purchase.....

Do it and bring it to an Indiana 3-gun shoot so I can try it out! Cool Big Grin

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1300 is to much for a gun that's not in mint condition so you were right to walk. Then there's the issue with the safety!!! I forget the details but the safety fails and I think the gun can fire if you have a round in the chamber and engage the safety. There was a factory fix for this but I forget what it was. I sold mine a few years ago for 1000 which is what I paid for it. Neat toy for any collection but much better shotguns on the market for SD.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
People are attracted to this firearm because of the way it looks and not the way it functions.

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
1300 is to much for a gun that's not in mint condition so you were right to walk. Then there's the issue with the safety!!! I forget the details but the safety fails and I think the gun can fire if you have a round in the chamber and engage the safety. There was a factory fix for this but I forget what it was. I sold mine a few years ago for 1000 which is what I paid for it. Neat toy for any collection but much better shotguns on the market for SD.

I don't know much about them, but a quick look at the site-that-shall-not-be-named seems to imply that $1300 isn't bad, depending on what would need to be done on them. Cheapest I saw there was $1700, most are 2k+.

May definitely be a fun purchase if you have the funds available to justify it. I have a mid-80's Interarms PPK/S in .380 that I bought for that reason. It's in immaculate shape and I am a huge James Bond fan. Are there better pistols nowadays for just about every application, of course. Still bought it, still have it, still love it.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
$1300 is not a bad price. Especially if everything is there. I would not be concerned with resale if it were me. I've followed prices for a while and they have consistently gone up.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Man as a kid I dreamed of those things. Now adays though I don't think I'd ever want to own one. They are iconic 80's shotguns though absolutely. If I had unlimited cash I'd probably buy it just for fun.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Too heavy to tote around.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
$1300 is not a bad price. Especially if everything is there. I would not be concerned with resale if it were me. I've followed prices for a while and they have consistently gone up.

Wow I didn't realize they had increased in value, I should have held on to mine for a few more years. Mine was in mint condition, had the folding stock w/hook.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Thread needs more SPAS Smile Dug mine out of the safe to give the old girl a look. It is pretty stiff to pump, I've run mine in auto for the most part after I did the refurb. I keep the stock hook attached majority of the time to keep track of it. She's not in perfect shape but I love her anyway Wink

Anti-Raptor configuration: