SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Surprise Pawn Shop Find: SPAS-12
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise Pawn Shop Find: SPAS-12 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've done maintenance on a few of them and what I've noticed is that they were either safe queens or had the snot shot of them...not much in between. They all seemed to have issues with "caramelized" oil/grease in them which caused quite a bit of the stiffness issues. They also take apart differently than your usual gas shotgun so you would want to watch some youtube before trying to break it down yourself.

On the price, you described it as pretty beat with more than likely a few issues that will need to be addressed and IMO it's a bit high. Chances are the pawn shop didn't pay more than 400.00 for it so with a little savvy you should be able to get it for less than their asking price. Most pawn shops do factor into their prices haggling so if you project yourself as a serious buyer you should do well, and if you pay in cash they might even give you a better break.

FG42 Type G, Ruger GSR, P250 Compact 9mm w/45ACP Compact conversion, H&K VP9 & other cool stuff.

100% disabled veteran

Posts: 696 | Location: central NC | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I would not own one. They are known to be troublesome.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Thread needs more SPAS Smile Dug mine out of the safe to give the old girl a look. It is pretty stiff to pump, I've run mine in auto for the most part after I did the refurb. I keep the stock hook attached majority of the time to keep track of it. She's not in perfect shape but I love her anyway Wink

Anti-Raptor configuration:

Holy drool batman...

Would you be willing to go into any more details on refurbishing her? This is the part that makes me most curious.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Whatever material Franchi used for the rubber internal/external parts gets very brittle with age. I took the internal buffer out by chunks. After that its as simple as pressing in the new one. Replaced o rings. The rubber buffer on the folding stock mech was non existent so replaced that. Also added a rubber bumper that rests against the receiver when the stock is folded. Cleaned it really well and reassembled. Not a tough job, just different.

Like I said the lever safety really isn't that big of a deal as there is a secondary safety near the trigger.

You could replace everything you need to for around 50 bucks. The fella running Spas-12.com has really kept these things alive. I would not shoot until you have replaced those parts. Also gives you the chance to take it down to just the receiver and clean/lube. Hope that helps.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Whatever material Franchi used for the rubber internal/external parts gets very brittle with age. I took the internal buffer out by chunks. After that its as simple as pressing in the new one. Replaced o rings. The rubber buffer on the folding stock mech was non existent so replaced that. Also added a rubber bumper that rests against the receiver when the stock is folded. Cleaned it really well and reassembled. Not a tough job, just different.

Like I said the lever safety really isn't that big of a deal as there is a secondary safety near the trigger.

You could replace everything you need to for around 50 bucks. The fella running Spas-12.com has really kept these things alive. I would not shoot until you have replaced those parts. Also gives you the chance to take it down to just the receiver and clean/lube. Hope that helps.

Well hell, that sounds easy.

Are there any solvents to avoid with this thing, given the nature of the plastic parts?

TSgt_Matt, were there any solvents that worked particularly well with that caramelized oil/grease issue you mentioned, or is it just common solvents and elbow grease?

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Occam's Razor, gents. If it's a range toy, that's one thing, but if this firearm might go into harm's way, you'd be better served with a less complex and trouble-prone shotgun.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107506 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Agree completely, Para. My Benellis have me covered for serious social work.

The SPAS would definitely fall into "for giggles" territory. But if I'm going to grab one, I want it to run well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rob Decker,

Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
I bought a SPAS-12 when they first came out for the "cool factor." I replaced the folding stock with the fixed version. It lived in my bedroom closet in pump action mode with the chamber empty and closed for things that go bump in the night. To employ it I would rack a round into the chamber and then depress the button on the forend as I closed the action to shift into semi-auto mode. When the coolness wore off I traded for something else. Never had any issues with it, but did not shoot it much.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a basic CLP but any firearm safe solvent will work...that and plenty of elbow grease. I remember shooting one with the metal stock, that thing really rattled my teeth.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob Decker:

TSgt_Matt, were there any solvents that worked particularly well with that caramelized oil/grease issue you mentioned, or is it just common solvents and elbow grease?[/QUOTE]

FG42 Type G, Ruger GSR, P250 Compact 9mm w/45ACP Compact conversion, H&K VP9 & other cool stuff.

100% disabled veteran

Posts: 696 | Location: central NC | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They say you should never meet your heroes.

Most of the "Always wanted" guns I've bought have turned out to be disappointments. I don't mind that so much, save for the fact that I traded/sold better guns to get them. If you can make it happen without giving up too much, then what the heck. If and when the novelty wears off you can always move it along, there are plenty of people just like you who will buy it. I'm not opposed to losing a little money, I chalk it up as tuition, being a "student of arms". Just don't give up anything you might regret to make it happen.

Posts: 21100 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
They say you should never meet your heroes.

Most of the "Always wanted" guns I've bought have turned out to be disappointments. I don't mind that so much, save for the fact that I traded/sold better guns to get them. If you can make it happen without giving up too much, then what the heck. If and when the novelty wears off you can always move it along, there are plenty of people just like you who will buy it. I'm not opposed to losing a little money, I chalk it up as tuition, being a "student of arms". Just don't give up anything you might regret to make it happen.

Sound advice. This will be a cash purchase, and I'm not going to be in any real hurry to put it together.

At this point I've decided to put the money together but I'm gonna give it a few paychecks to accumulate. If the shotgun moves on that time, oh well. If it doesn't, I'm a cash buyer and I've got a stronger bargaining position knowing it's been gathering dust for a while.

Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I bought one the they first came out. Big Bulky and uncomfortable to shoot. All kinds of problems in semi auto and as noted before very hard to pump manually. Sold it very quickly. Much later still wanting the semi/pump feature I bought a Benelli M3 and have been very glad I did so.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post