SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My first Mil-Surp: Swedish Mauser
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first Mil-Surp: Swedish Mauser Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I've been wanting a Swedish Mauser for decades and never bought one. Today, I was in Green Top in Richmond, Virginia and ran across this rifle. I couldn't pass her up. Except for the bolt release (numbered 877), all part have matching numbers (805). The bore is immaculate - shiny, with deep, sharp rifling, not a blemish to be seen. I suspect its been re-blued, because the finish is in remarkable condition, too. Can't wait to shoot it.

1899 M96/38 Swedish Mauser Short Rifle manufactured by Carl Gustafs Stads Gevarsfaktori.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
You must love a Swede. It truly is the Mauser of Mausers! That is a fine example. And that 6.5x55, such a ballistic darling.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Datsa nice! Great photos as well. Congrats.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I need to buy some clips. Seems a shame to load it one round at a time.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I need to buy some clips. Seems a shame to load it one round at a time.

Luckily, even though surplus 6.5 ammo has dried up, Swedish Mauser stripper clips are still plentiful and relatively cheap.

In fact, I use them in my USGI bolt rifles. They're easier to use, cheaper/easier to buy, and much more durable than M1903 stripper clips. And they work just fine with .30-06 in M1903s/M1917s.

(Unfortunately, other stripper clips, like 7.62 NATO clips for the M14 or 8mm Mauser clips for the 98 family, won't work in USGI bolt rifles.)

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That'sanice!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.
Congratulations.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Very great gun and my favorite caliber. Yes, darling indeed. Great score! Maybe I’ll poke my head in there tomorrow and see what they have

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
drool - one of those that I have my eyes out for those Swedes

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Wow, nothing like starting out at the top of the shelf... Very, very nice. I have a later Swedish service rifle (AG42), and love the 6.5x55 round. I reload that Privi brass, and it seems of good quality, and the case dimensions are correct, unlike USA made 6.5x55.

BTW, if you don't already have an 03/C&R license, you might consider getting one... Just forget about putting any $$$ away on pay day, but many gun related companies will give you a nice discount with one.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the acquisition of a nice clean example of the shortened long rifle!

I got most of my Swedes "back in the day" when So. Ohio Gun had bunches of the rifles.

Wound up with a 94 carbine (not from SOG), a long rifle, a 96/38, two 38's and an AG42. The only one that doesn't 100% match is the 96/38. It has an unnumbered (but Swedish crown proofed) safety. Maybe a unit armourer's replacement?

I suspect the blue on your rifle may well be Swedish arsenal applied. Most of mine look like yours (bright high polish blue on the barrel and receiver, showing little wear). I'm pretty sure that the importer didn't refurbish these firearms.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pillboxesghost:
I suspect the blue on your rifle may well be Swedish arsenal applied. Most of mine look like yours (bright high polish blue on the barrel and receiver, showing little wear). I'm pretty sure that the importer didn't refurbish these firearms.

I have been thinking the same - possibly applied when the barrel was shortened.

The one funky thing about is that the stock behind the bolt is contoured lower than the receiver tang. I notice on other examples it is flush with a groove cut for the bolt. Mine is contoured smooth leaving it a bit lower than the tang itself. It looks like the groove was once there and the stock was sanded down.

Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
They are awesome rifles.
You will be duly impressed at the range.
I have two CG M96s and both are excellent shooters.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I don't think that rifle is an M96 cut down conversion to an M38. I think it's an original M38. The rear sight is original to the M38. The M96 cut downs has a rotary micrometer rear sight, and that was retained on the cut down M38's.

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/a...les_se/rifles_se.htm

There are two types of the m/38 rifle:

Type one (1) m/38 rifles are made from old m/96 rifles
These are manufactured by Carl Gustaf or by Mauser. 
They have the same straight bolt handle as the m/96 rifle. 
They have the same rear sight as the m/96 rifle, but with 
an inserted nickel-plated SM micrometer sight m/38. 
*The m/38 SM sight goes from 250 to 600 metres, the elevation 
         knob is stamped with "3", "4", "5" and "6". 
         The sight is calibrated for the m/94 ogival (blunt) ammunition.

Type two (2) m/38 rifles are made as m/38 rifles
These are manufactured by Husqvarna
They could have either the same straight bolt handle as 
the m/96 rifle, or the turned down bolt handle of 
the m/94 carbine. 
They both have leaf sights, either for the m/94 ogival (blunt) 
bullet, or for the m/41 torped (pointed) bullet. 
*The sight for the m/94 cartridge can be adjusted, in 50m 
 steps, from 100 to 600 metres. 
            This sight got a rectangular notch. 
*The sight for the m/41 cartridge can be adjusted, in 50m
 steps, from 150 to 600 metres. The ladder is stamped "2", 
          "3", "4", "5" and "6".
          This sight is marked with a "T", it got a U-shaped notch.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pillboxesghost:

I have been thinking the same - possibly applied when the barrel was shortened. [\QUOTE]

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
While I'm no expert, I can't see it being an original M38. The receiver it stamped 1899. As far as I can determine, guns built as M38s were made by Husqvarna from 1938 on.

Now, the rear sight my be a Husqvarna rear sight, since it has the tilted crown stamped on it. From what I've learned, Carl Gustav-produced parts have an upright crown, and Husqvarna-produced parts have a tilted crown.

I understand that after WWII, most of these rifles were retrofitted with different rear sights with a U notch. This has that U notch.

https://www.milsurps.com/conte...h-Mauser-Short-Rifle

My biggest problem with this rifle is - I want another one. This rifle is tight, nothing rattles, and frankly it looks like it has scarcely been shot.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Looks good I think you will enjoy it. That is a Type 1 M38 the barrel was shortened decades ago.

The rear sight and the bolt firing pin head are Husqvarna because of tilted crown. They had to change the rear sight to match the trajectory for the barrel length and newer loads.

quote:
The one funky thing about is that the stock behind the bolt is contoured lower than the receiver tang. I notice on other examples it is flush with a groove cut for the bolt. Mine is contoured smooth leaving it a bit lower than the tang itself. It looks like the groove was once there and the stock was sanded down.

It is also missing some wood at the forward forearm bottom. The metal here is flush or below the wood on the Husky M38s. But this is not that unusual from the converted M96 / M38 from what I've seen.

Wiki info is

The original m/1938 rifles (Type I) were converted m/1896 rifles with barrels cut down by 5.5" (139mm) and almost always with the original straight bolt handles. These rifles are often referred to by collectors as "m/96-38" rifles, but there was never an official designation for this conversion. The majority of purpose-built m/1938s (Type II) had turned-down bolt handles and were manufactured by Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB, with production ending in 1944. However, the Swedish military made no distinction in service between the two types.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I'm no expert, I can't see it being an original M38. The receiver it stamped 1899. As far as I can determine, guns built as M38s were made by Husqvarna from 1938 on.

Yea, I don't know how I missed that. Eek I have an original Husqvarna m38.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Groovy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine has one his grandfather brought out of an old barrel in a Texas hardware store; said it cost $29.00. He allowed me to shoot a few rounds through it a while back. Simply awesome rifle. And yes; now I want one!

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post