SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendations Please - .357 Magnum Levergun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations Please - .357 Magnum Levergun Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
The old thread was dead, so...

Folks - looking for recommendations for my father, for a lever-action .357 Magnum carbine. He very badly wants one in stainless, nickel, chrome, silver, etc to go with his nickel S&W 586. We've looked at Henry's Silver Boy but I believe he'd prefer a rifle with a loading gate-style mechanism for loading the magazine.

What should I look for? What should I avoid? I know evil black rifles far better than I know lever-action carbines.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
most out there are decent as far as quality,

look for
Rossi, model 92 or 65
marlin 1894 SS or CSS

or one of the Uberti clones from EMF, Taylor and Co, or others,

Browning made a great copy but I think it is only available in blue finish,
Winchester has modern 'copies' as well, but none SS or nickeled that I am aware of

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marlin or Winchester. And a JM Marlin, not a Remarlington.
If you can find one!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Check out the Henry in Hard Chrome. I know some people don't like the front load tubular magazines, but it is still a very nice rifle with a great American heritage.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
These are pretty cool, they can be found on GB for less $$:

Taylor 1892 Alaskan Takedown .357 Mag

Otherwise, you're looking for a Marlin 1894 CSS Stainless .357 Mag which are a bit harder to come by.... Nevermind, here's one:

Marlin 1894 CSS 357 Mag Stainless JM

If it doesn't have to be stainless/nickel/etc., your options open up exponentially.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:

If it doesn't have to be stainless/nickel/etc., your options open up exponentially.

Yeah, it's become a thing with my dad and I. His stuff is stainless/nickel/chrome, my stuff is blued or evil and black...

Any idea if you can replace the synthetic on that Taylor with wood?

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

Any idea if you can replace the synthetic on that Taylor with wood?

Unless they have changed recently, I am fairly certain that the stock and forearm are wood but with some form of 'soft touch' coating.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
They also sell more traditional takedown models, i.e. blue with a wood stock, so I assume they could sell you a replacement wood stock. If you cruise their site it seems like they may also do some custom work & engraving. I would contact them, let us know what they say.
Smile

info@taylorsfirearms.com

Smile

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Given that your requirements are "Stainless", the only one I'd recommend is the Marlin 1894 CSS.

If you are willing to go with "Blue" or "Blue and then nickle or Chrome", then I'd recommend a Winchester/Miroku or Uberti.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
16" lever action .357 is a remarkably short and handy rifle, with a lot of punch. I saw a few in stainless, forget the brand (maybe Rossi), at a shop near where I work a few years ago. Always regretted not buying one...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
So I stumbled over a Rossi 92 stainless in the proper caliber at an LGS near my sister. Picking it up tomorrow, more to follow!