SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    sbr advice please,which way to go?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sbr advice please,which way to go? Login/Join 
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted
sig folks,
I have had 5 neck fusions from a beating with colt saa in a robbery 14 years ago.All the surgery's have left a neck that is a titanium cage on 4 of 7 neck vertebra,and a lot of scar tissue.

The dr. i talked to today told me to baby my neck if i want anything left as far as bone structure in 20 years.I am 60 now.

I have had every kind of gun you can think of,and it does not matter,even with a heavy 1911 point man in 9mm,the small but sharp first recoil up my right arm into my neck is like a 110 electric charge,or cattle prod poke.

So i here i am with thousand of rounds of new 9mm ammo ,fmj,jhp.I really loaded up during the obama years.I have hunted and shot since i was 8 growing up on a farm in n dakota.

Anyway,i am going to sell all my pistols .cz shadows,tacticals,all nice target 9mm guns

and have been thinking of a sbr.Just something i can go shoot 9 mm and a house gun.But i am dizzy from all the options and different combos a guy can do,from the 500 dollar psa ar9 and up.

I like the cz evo for price,the sig mpx,all are nice.With all the ammo i am going to sell,and guns i will sell,i will have the cash for 1 or 2 nice sbr guns.

Part of me wants to just buy a couple colt sbr rifles,all factory,and be done.I know they will hold value,and advice and parts are available.

But my question is this guys,what would you do about if you had the options,and wanted a no bs sbr that is top shelf,and will not devalue,which model and brand would you buy?
thanks for all advice gents

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tuumunz,

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I have several 9mm SBR's and my opinion is to get a Sig MPX. It is a very soft recoiling setup and performs great.

A buddy of mine had a spinal infusion and he gets a ton of pain from the recoil spring cycling in his(well mine now)9mm AR. He loved shooting my CZ Scorpion.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If it were me, and I was looking for two 9mm SBRs, I’d probably do as you suggested. One Colt (these are great to shoot) and either a CZ Scorpion or a Sig MPX. All of Sig’s over promise and under deliver nonsense the last few years has kind of soured me on the brand, so I went CZ. Either way though I think you’d be happy with the Colt and one of those two.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sig,
i agree on the getting sour on sigs.the mpx is around 1500 to 1700,and i see cz evo for around 700,

I could just about get a colt sbr for a 1000.So i am basically looking at the cz evo and colt sbr for what 1 mpx cost.

And i know the colt and cz will hold value.
thanks for advice guys.letting go of what we have done for half a century is a little hard sometimes.More mental than physical.I would love to shoot the cz or colt at the range and not blink everytime i pulled the trigger.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I have a SBR MPX. Wish I would have got a H&K MP5 clone instead.

Mags are crazy expensive on the MPX. They usually run $60.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Kriss Vector or MP5 clone. I would not worry about holding value, not many people sell their NFA items.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dave,
i agree.so the mp5 clones would be vector?special weapons5?What other ones do you suggest.

I have looked at you tube,and the colt sbr looks nice.recoil in 9mm in this platform is not hardly seen on any of the sbr guns i looked at.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
dave,
i agree.so the mp5 clones would be vector?special weapons5?What other ones do you suggest.

I have looked at you tube,and the colt sbr looks nice.Really 9mm in this platform is not hardly seen on any of the sbr guns i looked at.

MKE/Zenith

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt LE6991 SBR... After shooting one last week it is going to be my next purchase.....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks war,i will check them out.also,happy new year war.no funds yet.guns are ready to ship

posted Hide Post
Sig folks,
i guess i am in the frame of mind,to sell my pistol,all target high end guns for sure,and get a sbr and go shooting.I dont want to wait ,and add items.,or wait for adding items,not saying i wont later.

There are so many options and different ways to go.I know i want a gun that i can shoulder,just to plink at short range,and be able to shoot.

Rocks,cans,doesnt matter.I am at a time in my life where i have to let some things go,and still be able to do some things i really have enjoyed.Like getting in my truck,and go shooting.

All of you are great with advice,and i appreciate it .Its great to see a answer to my question from different users who have or are shooting these guns,and i can go to you tube,and get an idea of what they have.
please keep advice coming.

Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Since the spine issues are you primary concern, is go MPX, all the way. A lot softer shooting than a direct blowback gun. Mags are cheap too, You can still find them for less than $15. There are a number of accessories, and it has all of the AR controls for consistency in manual of arms if you're familiar with the AR. Ignore all the hater on Sig, it is just internet folks looking for something to pick on. The MPX is a proper gun. If you're selling as much as you are, and this is a good and final purchase, go with a quality arm, and price isn't as much of an issue.

Of course, if you want real quality, take a look at a B&T APC9.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Myself I don't feel a hoot of difference in recoil between an MPX and a 9mm AR and the CZ.
And there is not a chance mags for a new MPX are $15 (or an AR) but I'd wager money is not the issue here.
That said I really like the MPX overall. I've been using it for tactical matches for nearly a year and its a really nice gun. No idea how it does in SBR form but its hard to imagine its worse. Runs and runs and doesn't really give a hoot about much.
In terms of an SBR that won't devalue there is not a chance that anything other than the Colt will compete.
I'm sorry about your situation. Hopefully shooting .22lr for fun is still possible.

Take care.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
And there is not a chance mags for a new MPX are $15 (or an AR).

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/si...d-magazine-1821.html

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread to give you some ideas:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4400051214/p/1

I am biased (affiliated with B&T USA), however I am only affiliated because I believe B&T makes top tier firearms and accessories. Now that this disclaimer is out of the way if I was in your shoes narrowing it down to two pistol caliber SBRs, I would choose either the mp5 or the B&T apc9.

The mp5 is iconic, soft shooting, easy to shoot. It suffers from its expense, the expense of accessories and spare parts, the need for the addition of an optic mount, inability to armor/gunsmith on your own, and lack of a bolt catch. Those are all shortcomings I can (and do) live with. I have a HK SP89 converted to MP5K-N, SP5K that will soon be converted to MP5K-N, and hk94 converted to MP5-N. I love them and from an iconic historical and pure sex appeal standpoint, I never plan to sell them.

The APC9 is every bit as smooth/soft shooting as the MP5 series on account of the very effective hydraulic buffer. What sets it apart from the MP5 is that it is far more ergonomic, has integral optic mounting has a bolt catch, and it is ambidextrous. Suppressor mounting is easy and there are myriad 3-lug suppressor options from which to choose. Stock options include folding with fixed LOP, folding with adjustable LOP, and telescoping. Did I say it is smooth? It is also a very simple, highly reliable design with a robust highly reliable extractor/spring. The same cannot be said for the mp5 extractor spring, which is the weak link in the HK roller delay series.

I strongly recommend that you try the various options before you buy. I can say without reservation that you will likely be very pleased with an MP5 and/or APC9.

I find AR/9 to have snappier recoil than the APC9 and MP5 due to the blowback action with lighter bolt. I have minimal experience with the MPX. It appears to be a good design in its theory, however I lack sufficient time shooting the MPX to formulate a personal opinion as to its merits and detractions. Same with the Evo, which is by far the most economical of the current options. It seems to be a good option, however I just lack suffice personal time with the Evo to weigh in on it. I really should buy one just to have for reference.

All this said, I am a big fan of factory SBRs. And the Colt 6991 is a very unique offering. If the recoil of the AR/9 is not bothersome to your neck and you like the 6991, I would go with that. Flexibility to the infinite order. You can swap various uppers to your hearts content.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

In terms of an SBR that won't devalue there is not a chance that anything other than the Colt will compete.

Colt 6991 factory sbr has the highest probability of holding value, with the highest potential for appreciation because it’s a factory sbr. No need to engrave any additional information.

I am also confident that a HK SP5K converted to MP5K-N by TSC, RDTS, TPM, or Dyer will appreciate in value. And I would wager the B&T APC9 will at least hold its value, potentially increase over time. Much as I hate to say it, I believe we are in a Second golden era for imported cool firearms and this party will not likely last forever. If these imports were stopped, think about what will appreciate - factory HK german and Swiss B&T will be highly sought after.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sig pros,
all i can say is thanks.I have about 10,000 in high end 9mm guns,which really is not a lot if you get into the cz,or sw higher end guns.

It does not take a lot of guns and ammo to get quite a few thousand.And we all know guy's who are many many times more than that.It's there money,i am happy they enjoy it on what they like.

I know guys who have horses,cars,other hobby's that make my shooing hobby look like chump change.

So i guess what i am saying is thanks a million for advice,and i can get into or stay in my shooting,plinking hobby with a few sbr's and still enjoy my hobby.

Thanks guys.I was really depressed after leaving dr. last week.
All of you sig pro's really helped me with which way to go,and not have to spend a whole lot of money .

Happy new year sig folks

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I have a factory built CMMG 9mm SBR using Colt style stick mags. It’s a great shooter and could be an alternative to a Colt. Very happy with it.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like CMMG stuff and I'm sure the gun is great. But I can also assure you that it will not hold its value in the same way that a factory Colt will...per the original post.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m very pleased with my two MPXs. On is an SBR and the other is a pistol with PSB.

That said, have you looked at a 9mm Tavor? About the same length, no paperwork, and likely even softer-shooting.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post