SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Adjustable gas blocks (Superlative Arms?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjustable gas blocks (Superlative Arms?) Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
i have an overgassed lightweight and am interested in your opinion on adjustables. I also have a suppressor on the way. Superlative Arms?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of the SA gas block. Unfortunately I could not get the gun to run reliably with it in any position. Gun in question is a 12.5” AR-10 that I was shooting both suppresssed and un-suppressed. I was never able to find a consistent sweet spot. Ejection was very erratic and from one shot to the next you never knew how it would act (this was all without changing the GB setting). After about 350 rounds spent trying to make it work I swapped out with a standard GB and have had no issues going forward. I’ve elected to simply tune the recoil via the JP captured recoil spring. While I would like to limit the amount of gas coming back into the gun, it seems that trying to do so induces too many malfunctions.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I drilled and tapped a forward sight block and made it adjustable.

I use standard NATO ammo M193 (55grain FMJ)

I set the black to allow it to run w/o a suppressor (such that it will cycle the gun)

then I can use the suppressor or not and it functions flawlessly...

I did this to keep as much excess gas out of the receiver (and blowing into my eyes thru the charging handle gaps). It significantly reduced the felt gas to the face wit or w/o the can.

The key is standardizing your ammo.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of their gas blocks on my 11.5 and 10.5 inch SBR's and they are amazing! Makes a huge difference when shooting the short stuff suppressed

That being said we have a heck of a time getting them to work correctly on 16 + inch

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What caliber, barrel length and suppressor?

I built a 12.5" 6.5G with a .30 cal suppressor and used a Superlative Arms bleeder gas block and it tuned pretty easily.

Going to build a 300blk upper soon.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
What caliber, barrel length and suppressor?

I built a 12.5" 6.5G with a .30 cal suppressor and used a Superlative Arms bleeder gas block and it tuned pretty easily.

Going to build a 300blk upper soon.

556, 14.5” is a the gassy one. Faxon barrel and gas block. Suppressor will be Saker 762.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have 2 of them
1 on a 9" 300BLK
2 on a 10.5 5.56

similar process as dwd1985 did to get them tuned. havent had any issues. i marked the block for suppressed/unsuppressed just to reduce some gas from the ejection port. they work great. i recommend moving the screw from close to full open several times before install. the new ones are captive so the screw wont fall out. the slr gasblock is also highly regarded in that price range.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of adjustable gas blocks.

I have used JP and Syrac. Both work great. From time to time I will put a few drops of kroil on the adjustment screw, allow it to soak overnight, and then run the screw in and back out to keep everything moving freely.

I like gas blocks that are click detent adjustable. The lastest one I have used is the JP two piece.

One thing to keep in mind. If you adjust your gas on a warm day with a clean rifle, you may not have enough on a cold day with a dirty rifle. Just something to keep in mind.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on my SBR and after some adjustment, I got it dialed in. The recoil has been tamed (not that 5.56X45mm is heavy recoiling, but now the muzzle barely moves) and the brass is ejected into a nice neat pile at about the 2:30/3:00 o'clock position in about a foot and a half radius. You can almost set a bucket down and catch the brass.

After getting it adjusted, it (the SBR) has ran smoothly. I haven't had any problems with this rifle that wasn't caused by a bad magazine or round.

I was quite impressed with the machining and finish or the Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. It looked to good to cover with the free float rail handguard!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm running Syrac Ordinance adjustable gas blocks on all 3 of my AR's. Started with my 16 inch 300 BLK with a Pistol length gas system. Tuned the gas block for my standard supersonic load by starting with the gas block nearly closed and shooting just 1 round at a time and opening up the gas supply until the bolt locked back on an empty magazine. Once I saw how clean that 300 BLK shot with a well regulated gas supply I ordered two more and installed them on my 20 inch precision AR and 16 inch Carbine, both in 223 Wylde.

Pluses for the Syrac gas block is that it's detented and I have yet to see a setting drift on any of my AR's and the detents are spaced closely enough in terms of the regulation where you can pretty much dial it into a rather exact setting.

I'll also note that a ell tuned gas supply not only results in a cleaner rifle but the muzzle jump is also reduced.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
FWIW my AR builder uses Superlative Arms gas blocks. I would have no problem using one.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've got a Superlative Arms on my 18" midlength AR-10 and it works quite well. Highly adjustable and the setup makes recoil on the .308 negligible. I've also got a suppressor in jail at the moment.

Just don't be a dumbass like me and forget the wrench when you take the gun to the range for the first time. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post