SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finally got a 22 LR for my son (Ruger 10/22 w/ Tac-65 suppressor) and Ruger Precision 22 LR (for Dad)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got a 22 LR for my son (Ruger 10/22 w/ Tac-65 suppressor) and Ruger Precision 22 LR (for Dad) Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
I have this 22 LR Tac-65 suppressor for over 10 years now, but have not been used. My son 15 y/o son have always asked me to build him a rifle with "silencer" (as he likes to call it). Big Grin

Couple of months ago, I stopped by Dick's Sporting Goods. They are clearing their firearms and firearm accessories. Pick up this Ruger 10/22 with laminated stock. Also picked up a 22 LR bolt for next project. I got my son a Vortex Crossfire II (2-7 x 32) scope. Can't wait to show him tonight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ador,

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one lucky kid!

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent! He should be thrilled.

There's nothing like shooting a suppressed 22lr rifle, especially with subsonic ammo.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a tac65....do not wait until 1000 rounds go thru it before you try and clean it. When I got mine I waited and it was finally returned to the factory to have it fixed.

I now clean it at 500 rounds.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Mike, I just ordered the "6 Point Endcap Driver Tool" from TacSol so I can clean the Tac 65.

What is a good brand Subsonic 22 ammo you can recommend?

We haven't fired both rifles yet as there are no open shooting range in my area at this time.

FYI, I just added a Bolt Action Ruger Precision rifle for myself. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I have a tac65....do not wait until 1000 rounds go thru it before you try and clean it. When I got mine I waited and it was finally returned to the factory to have it fixed.

I now clean it at 500 rounds.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
What brand subsoni ammo would you recommend?

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
There's nothing like shooting a suppressed 22lr rifle, especially with subsonic ammo.

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Nice pair..loose the orange IDIOT locks

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to the that orange cable lock that I wrapped around the stocks? I have decided to add a secondary means of securing the rifles. That cable is looped through an eye hook that I bolted directly to the wall stud. It will not prevent anyone from taking the rifle out. It will at least slow a person down. My son is 15 year old. I just want to make sure those 2 rifles are secured and not easily accesible. There is no more room in my safe for these rifles. Otherwise, I will keep them in there without trigger locks and cables.

quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Nice pair..loose the orange IDIOT locks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
What brand subsonic ammo would you recommend?

Every barrel has different preferences for ammo, but trends do exist. You should try a few different brands, and ammo lines within brands. Understand that the best accuracy after an ammo switch probably won't occur immediately after the switch. Expect 5, 10, 15, sometimes even 20 rounds of the new ammo type before accuracy settles down.

Your best accuracy will generally occur with a 40 grain lead bullet.

CCI Standard Velocity/Target is a reasonably priced ammo that tends to shoot well in a huge variety of guns. It's pretty much the go-to for moving up from cheap plinking rounds.

Federal Gold Medal 711B is in the same league. Maybe not as consistent across all gun types, but likely more accurate if your barrel really likes it.

From here, things get more expensive if accuracy is your primary goal. The big brands for match-grade accuracy include:
- Eley
- Lapua
- RWS
- Wolf
- SK

The least expensive will be from SK, Wolf, and Eley. However both Lapua and RWS offer value-line ammo which is pretty good for its price, too. IIRC, RWS is part of the group that offers ammo under the Norma, GECO, & maybe other names. Sometimes the Remington/Eley line works well. I've found the American Eagle ammo is not accurate.

Bottom line -- start with CCI Std. Then maybe Federal 711B. Next SK, Wolf, lower priced Eley. This will keep you busy for quite a while.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For subsonic ammo, you will likely ( though this is not 100%) get most consistent accuracy from a European ammo like lapua sk or eley
I was using cci standard with fairly good results for nrl22 matches, then got some of the basic eley action. Similar price to cci standard but turned out to function better with better more consistent accuracy.
Don’t even bother with Remington Winchester or federal

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Aguilla 22LR Standards and subsonics.

The Euro stuff has great consistency but after zeroing I'm more of a plinker so I like the cheaper price of Aguilla - well at least when I bought a lot of it years ago it was pretty cheap. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I love the wood on that stock ador!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
WRT ammo, follow fritzs recommendations. I tried everything. But my ruger 10-22 devour everything. My savage MKII bolt gun jams with a buncha brands..the fired cases get stuck in the chamber. I found Remington subsonic to work fine in it and also blazer for regular ammo don’t stick...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post