SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Starting to get interested in a bullpup, any tips?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting to get interested in a bullpup, any tips? Login/Join 
posted
I'm currently beginning the hunt for a bullpup, likely and AUG or MSAR. I've read a few things about the MSAR having some functional improvements on the Augs design and I know there are a few gens of both rifles. Any things to look out for or preferable generations to seek besides the Msar e4 taking AR mags?

Also are they still difficult to suppress? How do they stack up vs an rdb or mdr etc?

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd go AUG. Thought about it many times, but wanting to stick to something sustainable I keep with my ARs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would absolutely stay away from the MSARs and get a factory AUG if that platform is what you choose. The MSARs ran through a number of generations, and the early ones had issues and weren’t compatible with some AUG parts. Some run OK, some are problem children, but regardless if you find one, MSAR is out of business, so no chance of support or parts. Get an AUG made by Styer.

AUGs don’t suppress well. The gas port vents right to the atmosphere from the gas block, so they tend to be a little louder than other guns because that noise isn’t blocked. Also, they have a unique barrel threading, but that problem isn’t insurmountable.

When my can gets out of jail, I intend to run it on my RDB and X95, but have no desire to set my AUG A3 up for using a can.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Tavor and Tavor X95 don't suppress well either.
I got bored with my X95 real quick. I haven't touched it in a year now???

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have played with an aug and an x95. The x95 was 300aac. I much prefer the x95.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 9mm Tavor suppresses fine, but I’m sure it’s different because it’s blowback, not gas operated. I’ve heard stories about the 5.56 ones being gassy. Have a MI ejection port cover, but we’ll see how it goes when I get my can. The .300 BO Tavors have a 2 position gas block, which the 5.56 ones don’t.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have a Tavor X95 in .556, love it. I have a SiCo specwar .556 that I was going to run on but I decided to wait until my hybrid gets out of jail. I heard they pass gas a lot better with a larger caliber suppressor. I cant compare it against an Aug, but I lubs my Tavor!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I heard they pass gas a lot better with a larger caliber suppressor.

There's a line in here somewhere, however I don't want to be the butt of someone's joke.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I heard they pass gas a lot better with a larger caliber suppressor.

There's a line in here somewhere, however I don't want to be the butt of someone's joke.

That's what my wife says when I drink Guiness!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best tip anyone can give you: AVOID the MSAR. Like the plague. They are known to have issues, are out of production, have no factory support, and are not parts compatible with the AUG.

Buy a Steyr AUG A3 M1. You will be glad you did. Excellent rifles. By far my favorite bullpup.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow good to know about the Msar, I knew they were out of production but hadnt heard all the negatives.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I loved and miss my Tavor. I never had any issues suppressing it either. Its a great gun! I never liked the look of the Aug, so thats where the Tavor won it for me when i was first looking.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m near Kent if you want to try out an FS2000. I know it’s not on your list, but it’s a bullpup and I’m offering. Smile

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my FS2000. Not everybody’s cup of tea, but it has performed well for me and I like the ergonomics. I have the tactical with rail and added the tri-rail fore end. Not quite a space age looking.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
220 Smudge, I have an insane schedule but shoot me an email and I'd love to see if I could find a time to shoot the FN.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I've got AUGs, FS2000s and Tavors. If I were to pick one I would go with the AUG. It could be because I've had the AUGs the longest, but also they are just really an excellent design overall. I like how easy they break down for cleaning and can be carried in a large range bag with the receiver and barrel disassembled and the overall operation and handling characteristics.

I also like the Tavor and FS2000 but for me the AUG wins out.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot plenty of bullpups, including the AUG and the original Tavor. It wasn’t until the X95 that I got excited and put my money down.

I love my x95’s. I have both 556 and 300 blk. I’m not sure why anyone would say they don’t suppress well. I only shoot suppressed and mine are great! I’ve come to prefer them to my aR’s even.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got AUGs, FS2000s and Tavors

plus X95's for me. Of those I prefer the FN overall. FWIW>. The Aug has the longest history but likely the X95 has the best set of options (calibers and support).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a FS2000, but got rid of it. Sort of miss it, but never had any great love for the big bulky “tuna”. Unfortunately last on my list of favorite bull pups compared to my AUG, Tavor SAR, X95, and RDB.

posted Hide Post
You can buy parts to better seal up the x95 to reduce gasses escaping and getting you in the face.
I wanted an AUG and still do but the safety and need for a proprietary suppressor was a deal killer for me and the X95 is a very fast and efficient rifle to operate. You don’t need to get the expensive after market hammer pack, just get the lightning bow trigger and call it a day.

But if you don’t get an X95 I’d go for an AUG with a nato stock. It’s a heavy but very well built rifle that’s perfect for CQB. But honestly both rifles have their pros/cons and you’d do well with either rifle

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post