SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shotgun ammo storage(on gun)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun ammo storage(on gun) Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
How do you store ready ammo for your shotgun?

I think I want to use a Velcro ammo card on the receiver cause you can take it off when storing the gun in a safe.....vs a plastic or aluminum side saddle...

When I was in the CG we used a Blackhawk brand pouch that attached to the belt and dropped down and had a flap that held ten rounds of 00buck and ten more of slug.....I have not been able to find another ammo pouch like it since I got out...but I think a side saddle in Velcro might just fit the bill.

I’ve revised my home defense thinking against the AR15 based on:
1. The 12 ga has less distance-we live in a city again

2. The idea that one round of 12 ga is more of a one shot stopper vs the 223-it will be harder to defend shooting some three or four times with a 223 vs once with a load of #4 buck

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the tried and true elastic butt stock carrier. I secure it with the sling swivel. That makes it easy to swap out between my shotguns. The SpeedFeed stock is another option.
And... AR Vs Shotgun home defense debate in 3...
2... 1!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I wanted a RDS and additional ammo storage for my M4, so I installed an 8 shot Mesa Tactical shell holder/1913 receiver rail.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I like the Mesa side saddles.

The Esstac Velcro cards are inexpensive, flexible, and a decent option, especially if you're one of those guys that wants to lug around a chest rig full of shotgun shell cards. But it's recommended that you remove the adhesive Velcro patch from the receiver periodically, especially if it gets wet, to prevent rust from forming underneath.

(Also a possibility with a hard side saddle, but less likely, and easier to keep oiled/greased underneath.)

Also, elastic cards/buttstock sleeves will eventually wear out with use and have to be replaced. The Mesa side saddles have strips of surgical tubing that will also eventually wear out, but it's cheap and easy to replace the tubing without having to replace the whole thing.

It's a very well thought out design, like all of Mesa's stuff.

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
If you have an 870, Brownells carries the Vang Comp mounting pannel.

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...&utm_campaign=Itwine

I use the EssTac shell holders. They fit in an M16 ammo pouch so no need to buy new TA50.

https://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-...n-Card-p/ess.106.htm

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I like the side saddle shell holders.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of those one sized fits all elastic shell holders that go on the stock. I think I got it from Walmart.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was about to suggest a SpeedFeed stock but it looks like they're no longer available.

https://www.brownells.com/shot...stock-prod12702.aspx

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I was about to suggest a SpeedFeed stock but it looks like they're no longer available.

https://www.brownells.com/shot...stock-prod12702.aspx

That’s surprising and disappointing. I was going to suggest a Davis Speedfeed also. I checked their site and it looks like they’re only offering super-adjustable carbon fiber competition stocks priced $200-$450, and some ugly-ass S&W revolver grips. They went the way of USFA, looks like.

When I put together an 870 for home defense, I went back and forth on a side saddle or a Velcro shotshell card setup. In the end, I went with neither and got a buttstock shell holder. Specifically, one of these:
https://www.spectergear.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=239

It worked great, fit nice and snug, and it gave me a sling attachment point that I liked better than the traditional swivels on the bottom of the stock.

Had I stuck with a shotgun for HD, I likely would’ve eventually added a side saddle as well just for giggles. Adding bulky width to the gun makes it more of a pain to get in and out of a cluttered safe, but for that downside, I’d rather have something more permanent on the gun.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a combination of Esstac cards, Mesa Tactical side saddles, and Aridus side saddles on my guns. For hard use, I like the Aridus stuff. It's very solid and the swappable carriers are nice. My work Benelli and an 870 at home have the Aridus carrier. The Mesa side saddles are good, but the elastomer strip that retains the rounds can get weak. You're supposed to take it out periodically and rotate it. We have the newer, polymer Mesas on our department 870s and they have been good. The Esstac (and other) Velcro cards are nice and lightweight and obviously very cheap, but in dirty environments the Velcro can wear out. The elastic also stretches out over time. The low cost offsets that though. The only thing I would avoid is cheap plastic like TacStar.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I'm a Side Saddle fan and have one on my 870 Marine Magnum.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Aridus rig looks nice. But it should at $155.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The Aridus rig looks nice. But it should at $155.

For that kind of dough it should load itself. Eek

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
How do you store ready ammo for your shotgun?

I think I want to use a Velcro ammo card on the receiver cause you can take it off when storing the gun in a safe.....vs a plastic or aluminum side saddle...

When I was in the CG we used a Blackhawk brand pouch that attached to the belt and dropped down and had a flap that held ten rounds of 00buck and ten more of slug.....I have not been able to find another ammo pouch like it since I got out...but I think a side saddle in Velcro might just fit the bill.

I’ve revised my home defense thinking against the AR15 based on:
1. The 12 ga has less distance-we live in a city again

2. The idea that one round of 12 ga is more of a one shot stopper vs the 223-it will be harder to defend shooting some three or four times with a 223 vs once with a load of #4 buck

What kind of shotgun are you using?

You could store 5-8 more rounds on the side of the gun or you could add an extension tube from Nordic components and just store those extra rounds in the tube, ready to go.

My Benelli M2 holds 12+1. A bit absurd for a HD gun, but a 9 round tube would be flush with the barrel. With a shorter barrel you can usually get 8 in the tube and if the tube sticks out an inch or two beyond the muzzle it is of no consequence.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
If using an 870 I like the Mesa. If using a shotgun with an aluminum receiver then go with the Velcro cards as you won't end up torquing down to hard on an aluminum receiver then with receiver screws then come with.

Can also add one of the two shell holders forwards of the extra room port depending on what shotgun you're using.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I had side saddles on my home defense shotguns. I took them off because if I can't solve a problem with 6 or 7 rounds of 00, a reload ain't gonna help me. I used to use them when I shot three-gun. Had them on a 870, a 1187, and a 590A1

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I have 7-round Esstac cards for my Benelli M1 with extended tube. When legal for whatever competition, I'll use them for reloads with a spare in an M4 mag pouch on my belt to give me over 20 rounds with a loaded gun and 1 thing on my belt. I haven't gone for a dedicated shell carrier system yet. If not legal I'm stuffing pockets still.

I can also use it to store a stage worth of shells for sporting clays. Sometimes shooting in the summer in just shorts and a shirt and it's easier than stuffing my pockets or carrying a box of ammo. A hard carrier would probably work better for this.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of shotgun are you using

Mossberg Maverick 88...it’s a cheaper copy of the Mossberg 500....it holds 5 rounds already....I have an elastic buttstock shell holder on it, but they shift around...

I liked and was trained for the left sided pouches on my left leg in a drop leg pouch...but I want to shift to the left side of the receiver for a few extra rounds.

I was looking at the Velcro cards because you can take them off when putting into the safe.

I will be leaving the shotgun out for home defense, due to use living in the city now and not wanting to send rounds their way from my home...and the likelihood of that is slim and none ...but I’m just thinking.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I use bandoleer slings on all my fighting shotguns. There is enough storage on the sling to provide a mix of ammunition options.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an elastic buttstock shell holder on it, but they shift around...

For what it’s worth, the product I linked above solves that problem. I even doubled down on it a bit and wedged a few small strips of bicycle tire inner tube between the straps and the stock at the cicnch pints and it never shifted around.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post