SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone ever try Lothar Walther barrels? *barrel received on 8/15*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever try Lothar Walther barrels? *barrel received on 8/15* Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
It turns out they make M14 barrels and have started to import them into the US from Europe.

I talked to them and they are sending me a heavy profile M14 barrel to test.

According to them, Lothar Walther invented button rifling in 1925. The barrel they are sending me is made from European proprietary LW-19 machine-gun steel (sulphurless) 4337 or 4340 US equivalent 34CR NI MO6.

Looks like I have another research M14 to build! I just happened to have a rear-lugged receiver that needed a barrel.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two AR’s with Lothar Walther button heavy barrels. They are well made and accurate.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
S&W Custom Shop used to use them on their AR's. Circa 2005ish

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Kidd uses Lothar Walther blanks for their 10/22 barrels.

The 10/22 I built with a Kidd barrel (which I eventually gave to a friend) was every bit as accurate as my Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel and several Anschutz target rifles I've shot (one mine, a couple belonging to friends).

So at least their rimfire barrel blanks are exceptional.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I’ll let you know how mine turns out.

Tony.

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Compass Lake uses Lothar Walther barrels for their 22lr conversions. They are small bore accurate and can compete with anything out there. I'm interested to see how the M14 barrel turns out.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have an AR with an 18 inch stainless fluted barrel with a SJC Titan comp on it. It is my most accurate AR in my pool.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Serbu BFG 50 has a Lothar Walther barrel as I recall.Sweet shooter.

Posts: 75 | Registered: August 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I get it tomorrow.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I received the barrel today. The machining is impressive and the rifling is clean inside. My gas cylinder and flash suppressor fit with good taps from my gunsmith hammer. Not too loose and not too tight. Just right!

I found it interesting that forward of the front band, it holds a GI profile.

The barrel is not stainless and is in the white. I'll need to send it off to be park'd. I've got a guy lined up for it.

It hand timed at 55˚ on a LRB rear lugged receiver. It will go in a JAE first, followed by a McMillan, followed by a Fajen heavy walnut.

There are no markings at all on the receiver and I found it interesting that there is only one wrench flat by the chamber. I will order a Kreiger heavy op rod guide tomorrow.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I got the barrel back last week and spent the weekend installing it on the LRB. They added clearance for the front band and the barrel now has a 10˚ taper. A hand guard now fits nicely on the barrel.

I used Nez Rongero’s chamber reamer to cut the chamber to 1.632" and will run some 125's and 130's with some 8208 XBR. All I have to do is install the NM sights and it will go in my JAE.

The operating rod guide fit on really nice and I did not need to knurl the barrel. It held on nicely when I drilled the holes for the roll pins through the guide and the barrel. A 0.010" shim timed the lock just right with an un-unitized gas cylinder.

I'm kicking around the idea of double lugging the rifle with a Derrick Martin style front lug. I'm going to play with the barrel for a while before sending it off to be parkerized.

Tony.