SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking of buying a Precision Rifle - Budget for the rifle is around $1500 (without optics) Need Help on what rifle to purchase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying a Precision Rifle - Budget for the rifle is around $1500 (without optics) Need Help on what rifle to purchase Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Offgrid- Yes Sir - Have reloaded for 35 years. I have two single stage presses and two progressives. In talking with my son about the idea of changing out the barrel and caliber, who is in the Air Force and qualified as a Marksman, he has expressed interest in “using” (shooting) my 5R when he returns stateside in its current set up. Because of this my wife agrees it might be best for me to leave the 5R set up as it is and shoot it until I can save up enough to purchase a Tikka T3x Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor and then purchase I high quality optic that will work well with the new rifle.....

To get the green light from Ms. Sigarmsp226 to purchase another rifle is a rare moment so at this time I think I am going to pause on switching out the barrel on my 5R and continue to shoot it until I can purchase my first Tikka set up. Thanks for your recommendation and had my son not expressed interest in the 5R in 308 I would have more than likely given this a try.....

Thanks again for your recommendation and if anything changes I will email you directly for guidance and contacts...Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Just chiming in, I have been shooting a Savage 10BA Stealth (6.5CM) since 2016, and like it a lot. With the Savage barrel nut, you can swap in a new barrel easily (need headspace gauges and wrench). I have seen my model (the older one) for under $1,000.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
I know nothing about precision rifles but I know I want to shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor round. I see Ruger, Mossberg, and Savage have PR’s that seem to be a good choice for a new shooter like me....Optics I will worry with after I acquire a rifle so wanted to ask for the forum’s guidance and recommendations on what may be my next purchase....

Some might ask - what do I want to shoot and what do I want to accomplish. Right now I just want to enjoy longer (200-600 yd) shooting. At this point no plans to shoot competitively just want to try something a little outside of my current comfort zone....Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations...Mark

First Choice is a Tikka T3X TAC A1. They really are a step above in their price range. I have a T3X TAC A1 and a TRG22 in 6.5 Creedmoor and decided to sell the Sako. The Tikka is that good.

Second choice would be a Tikka CTR, heavier barrel than the T3x TAC A1 and you could replace the stock with a chassis later if you decided you wanted to.

For third choices I would go with a Howa before a Remington these days. Remingtons quality control has gone to crap these days. Older ones are well worth rebarrelling but I'm completely suspicious of new ones, our Smith almost won't work on them anymore because of how crappy they've become.

Also in the slightly higher price range the heavy barreled Seekins rifles are VERY Nice! I've seen some for around the Price of a Tikka T1X. Well worth considering especially if you prefer USA made. I have the hunting version of the Seekins and it is VERY Accurate.

Between a T3X TAC A1 and a Seekins I'd choose whichever just felt better in your hands.

Ruger Precision Rifles are great rifles for their cost. They just aren't as refined as the Tikka's.

Just my 2cents........

This message has been edited. Last edited by: djpaintles,

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Tikka T1x?
That is a rimfire rifle. Smile

T3X TAC A1, Thanks for the notice I corrected the original. :-)

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the T3x TAC A1. From a discussion I started here about a year ago, I ended up with the T3x, and couldn't be more pleased.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw this add for $300 off in case anyone is interested:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikk...d4522b6f0d-158775173

Its for the 20" 308 version.......

Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
There is another thread here on the Tikka TAC A1 (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/7470031074). I agree that they are a great deal for the money. I nearly got one and still might.
I went the CTR route and put a different stock and trigger in. I really didn't need to do either, but the KRG Midas trigger is super nice.
Once the TAC start to come back into regular inventory I'll probably pick one up.
The Tikka action is super smooth and I'm really happy for what they are. Good aftermarket availability too.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post