SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Yugo M59/66 SKS Mild Kaboom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yugo M59/66 SKS Mild Kaboom Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
Went to the range on Sunday with a friend to shoot some Mil-Surp guns. I brought along my 1968 Yugo M59/66. The rifle has been well cared for under my ownership and shows no undue wear and tear outside of the normal finish blemishes.

First ten rounds from a new case of Tula were just as expected. First shot of the next ten and that is where the excitement began!

I felt an odd recoil and the cheek under my left eye was peppered. The bolt was halfway open with a case still held in place by the extractor. Smoke was coming out of the half-opened action. I quickly opened the mag floorplate and stripped off the top receiver cover. The firing pin was laying in the back of the action, but the retaining pin was still in the bolt. Inspection of the case showed a perfectly cylindrical hole in the primer.

Research online shows this to be a somewhat familiar problem with berdan primed ammo and the SKS. Has anyone here had this happen to them? Has anyone gotten the "Murray Fix" done on their rifle?

(Edit) - I have photos of the case if someone would like to post them.

SKS Fix

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Chinese Type /56\ made in 1958. I don't think I fired it with the original pin.
I have installed the pin from Murray.
I haven't experienced any issues.
I shoot some Tula and reloaded boxer primed brass cases.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I sent a 1954 Soviet SKS to Murray's for some work. I have since traded the rifle away in favor of an Arsenal AK, though I can say Murray's work is top tier.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'll contact them with confidence.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
In addition to the installation of Murray's rebounding firing pin, I also had the Neck & Throat reaming service performed.

https://murraysguns.com/sks-neck-throat/

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post