SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1A SOCOM 16
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1A SOCOM 16 Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Funny you should say that. I have much more experience with the Scout. Standing next to the shooter it isn't bad. Standing 8 to 10 feet out to the side it's much worse. And more concussion than simply noise. I was standing abouf 8 feet off the ejection port. I moved...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Socom 16 and really liked it. I sold it because it didn't see much use with me. If I was in the market for a semi auto, magazine fed 308, the Socom 16 would be at the top of my list. The only downside was scope mounting. But with irons or a red dot, it was terrific.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Plus, like all standard M1A offerings, it has the shoulder thing that goes up, which is really extra special and makes it that much more lethal.

I hope you're happy, you made me snort tea just now.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I ended up making the trade. Even though what I really wanted was a Scout Squad, I still think I did well.

The FAL I traded was a bit of a mutt. Mismatched Austrian Stg. 58 parts kit, built on an Imbel receiver. It was accurate, but it was a bit longer and heavier than I like, and it didn't see much range time. For some reason, it just didn't interest me as much as many of my other rifles. I had $1050 in the FAL.

In trade, I got a lightly used Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16 along with $200 cash. So basically, I got the Socom for the equivalent of ~$850.

I then put the $200 towards 11 CMI 20 round magazines from Brownells. They're currently on sale for $19.99 each, and I used a coupon for $20 off $200 and free shipping.

The other guy hadn't registered the Socom with SAI, so I was able to do so, and can take advantage of the lifetime warranty if something were to come up.

The Socom originally came with an OD Green synthetic stock and handguard, along with the scout mount attached to the barrel, as shown in my OP. The SAI synthetic stock felt very cheap and flimsy. In addition, I didn't really like the way it looked. And the factory scout mount isn't low enough for a red dot to cowitness.

I was lucky enough to find a local guy on Armslist with a Boyds walnut stock set for $50, so I ditched the factory stock, scout mount, and handguard.

Here she is now:

The handguard is a much lighter walnut than the stock, but I don't mind. I'm not going to bother trying to stain it to match. I've rubbed two coats of tung oil on them, which has helped the grain in the butt to really pop. (It's much more prominent in person than in the photo.) I'll probably do another 1 or 2 coats before its all said and done, or maybe just a final coat of Tom's 1/3 Mix.

I've already broken it down, gave it a thorough inspection, did a deep cleaning, and shimmed the gas cylinder for better accuracy.

In addition to being more attractive, it's noticeably lighter than the FAL, and much handier. Similar to my 16" Mini-14, or one of my M1 Carbines, just beefier. I plan on taking it out tomorrow to put some rounds through it.

I will most likely install an Ultimak handguard in the future, which is low enough for a red dot to cowitness. But for now, I'm going to enjoy my newest wood and steel rifle with iron sights.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Looks nice in wood!

Visit my youtube page (User: tonyben3) to see everything you need to know about taking care of your new addition.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Way ahead of you, Tony. I used your videos and PDF guides to assist with the disassembly, lubrication, and shimming. Thanks! Big Grin

(I actually prefer your PDF guides at www.m14.ca over the Youtube videos. Easier to follow along at my own pace.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear. Frank over at M14.CA is a great guy and was one of the first to start hosting my material.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, this all-walnut Socom reminds me a lot of the Beretta BM62.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
1982 SA, Inc M1A-A1

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice trade!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post