SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PVS 30 (Update 11/27)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PVS 30 (Update 11/27) Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
So whats the skinny on these? The new unit price of 11.5k doesn't tempt in the least, but the refurbs at 4.5k do. Still very expensive but in line with a lot of other NV and Thermal gear. I already own a White Phosphor PVS 14, a FLIR monocular and Flir PTS233. Are these clip on units really all that and bag of chips/game changer? The use of day optics at high magnification with no POI shift really intrigues me.

Update 11/27: Well...I went for it. The unit I received looks darn near new. Been playing around with it outside a bit, I'm liking it a lot. Seriously cool. Will try and get some pics looking through it soon. Only con I can come up with so far is the weight. Looking forward to testing out the POI shift if any. Now if cole tac would hurry up with my new suppressor cover

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Haven't used one, but they are rifle rated, would be nice to clip in front of a scope for yote or pig hunting an open area at night. Target ID would be easier than thermal. Can't beat the price point, if I had a use for one I'd pick one up.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I saw those myself. I wonder what the warranty is on the refurbs. I'd hate to lay down $4,500 on one just to have my SCAR kill it in a year or two.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I saw those myself. I wonder what the warranty is on the refurbs. I'd hate to lay down $4,500 on one just to have my SCAR kill it in a year or two.

Looks like they have a 1 year warranty and rated up to 50 cal

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Updated the original post Smile

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome setup Andy! Beautiful rifles too.

I had a question for you. I'm currently looking into optics and mount combinations for my 20s. I was originally thinking about a base with 20 MOA elevation correction. Then I thought if someday I wanted to add something like the PVS 30, I'm not sure that would be compatible. Do you think having a 20MOA mount would cause problems with the PVS 30?

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
That's an awesome setup Andy! Beautiful rifles too.

I had a question for you. I'm currently looking into optics and mount combinations for my 20s. I was originally thinking about a base with 20 MOA elevation correction. Then I thought if someday I wanted to add something like the PVS 30, I'm not sure that would be compatible. Do you think having a 20MOA mount would cause problems with the PVS 30?

I can't speak from experience on the 20moa side but did find some others who had similar set ups:

https://www.lightfighter.net/t...pvs-30-refurb-review

"The scope mount that the Mk6 is in is 1.46" height and around 20 moa cant. I don't remember the exact cant of this Spuhr, but it is around 20 moa. The PVS-30 is sitting flat on the rail with 0 cant at 1.5" cL. I have no issues seeing through the optic like this."

"Very close to no deviation
Now, my Armasight had NONE.
But this seems to, after a few shots on a few targets, be all of 1 click (0.1 MRAD) high. That's easy to account for.
I do have a 20 MOA scope rail, and the night vision mount is flat, so dunno if that's what I am seeing, just exceeding the amount the clipon optics can flatten everything. "

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback Andy. It seems that PVS 30 is a real game changer. Down the road, I might have to get one.

Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Andy, what is the bolt action rifle set up?

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
Andy, what is the bolt action rifle set up?

Hey Nick, it's a Barrett MRAD in 338. Mines an early(ish) model from 2011. Since then they've changed over to keymod and made some other changes but they are excellent rifles.