SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Broke down and drank the SCAR kool aid
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broke down and drank the SCAR kool aid Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
scar spare parts
Must haves.
- Complete Bolt
- Bolt cam pin
- Firing Pin
- Firing Pin retaining pin & O-ring
- Gas Piston
- Gas regulator
- Charging handle
- Trigger return spring
- Hammer spring
- Sear spring
- return spring or complete return spring assembly
- gas control screw assortment

is this the one?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
scar spare parts
Must haves.
- Complete Bolt
- Bolt cam pin
- Firing Pin
- Gas Piston
- Gas regulator
- Charging handle
- Trigger return spring
- Hammer spring
- Sear spring

is this the one?

Seems like a lot of spare parts for a rifle that's supposed to be the shiznit.

My lowly DI AR spare parts list -- firing pin retaining pin and gas rings. OK, I also have a replacement barrel, but that's because my carbine's had enough rounds down the tube that the throat is getting long in the tooth.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I dont anticipate many breakages. I do know that FN is a pain to get parts from. I called to get some action screws for my SPR and it was like dealing with a company that didnt own computers. They had to write down what i was looking for and cal me back 3 days later to verify. Then they said they would submit he request for the parts and someone would contact me within the next 6 weeks to setup payment.

Being that I have a complete 2nd lower I just want to get some spare upper parts, just not really sure what is prone to wear or breakage since everyone seem to say it doesnt happen.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
scar spare parts
Must haves.
- Complete Bolt
- Bolt cam pin
- Firing Pin
- Gas Piston
- Gas regulator
- Charging handle
- Trigger return spring
- Hammer spring
- Sear spring

is this the one?

Seems like a lot of spare parts for a rifle that's supposed to be the shiznit.
Considering it's an imported weapon, before November of last year, a prudent person was prepared for the worst.

Not like ARs were you can get any Tom, Dick, or Harry to sell ya somethin' for it.

Of course, I thought the M14 was FAR superior to the SCAR 17. So I really don't know why anyone would possibly want one. Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new SCAR!

Rhino is right. Leading up to the last election I wanted to make sure I had everything to independently keep my SCARs running for a very long time, even though I have never had a single part break or wear out to date.

Since I started collecting spare parts those threads from Battlefield Las Vegas popped up and we all got to see just how durable the SCARs can be with very high round counts. Knowing what I know now if I were just starting off I would probably get a firing pin, bolt assembly, bolt cam pin, return spring, and call it good for a while.

It’s also worth getting some extra gas control screws. One of my favorite SCAR features is how easily you can tune the gas system with swapping out the different sized OEM gas control screws.

Here is the parts list I posted before. I focused on parts that seemed like they would be most likely to wear out (springs), or break (extractor/ejector) or get lost/damaged during cleaning, (various pins, screws, more small springs, etc.). I also focused on parts that would be hardest for me to find replacements for outside of FNH. For example, I’m not at all worried about spare trigger parts since my SCARs have Geisselle triggers and I still have the stock triggers as backups.

16S Unique Parts
F144200020 SCAR 16S Bolt Assembly
F144310010 FNH SCAR 16S Firing Pin
F144240020 FNH SCAR 16S Extractor
F144270010 FNH SCAR 16S Spring, Ejector
F144400010 FNH SCAR 16S Return Spring Assembly
F144430010 FNH SCAR 16S Return Spring
F144410010 FNH SCAR 16S Guide Rod

16S/17S Common Parts
F141290020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Gas regulator
F141200010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Gas Piston Assembly
F141220010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ring, Piston
F144220010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Spring, Extractor
F144260010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ejector
F000009190 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ejector Retaining Pin
F144250020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Extractor Pin
F144350010 SCAR 16/17 Firing Pin Retaining Pin Assembly
F144370010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S O-Ring
F144300010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Bolt Cam Pin
F145390010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Spring, Magazine Catch / Release
F005915020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ball Bearing
F142310020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Barrel Extension Screw
F144440010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Guide Rod Retaining Plate
F144420010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Retaining Ring, Guide Rod
Assorted FNH SCAR 16S/17S Gas Control Screw 1.35 MM-1.95 MM

17S Unique Parts
F184200030 FNH SCAR 17 S Bolt Assembly, H/17S
F184310010 FNH SCAR 17 S Firing Pin
F184240010 FNH SCAR 17 S Extractor
F184270010 FNH SCAR 17 S Spring, Ejector
F184430010 FNH SCAR 17 S Return Spring
F184410010 SCAR 17S Guide Rod

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love having adequate spares. When I looked at the parts that I really should spare on a SCAR, the prices on MGW, the availability issues. I just got a full parts gun. In the end it was cheaper.
Maybe FN will ultimately get its act together on parts and thankfully the political environment takes some heat off the situation, but I'd do the math.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Picked it up this morning, the original lower is stripped but a full set of parts to build it were included in the box. Along with 5 factory mags which I may part with all but 1 as I dont ever see me going back to the factory lower.

The HDD PRS stock is nice but not really what I want for the role I envision this rifle in. It came with the factory stock but I thik I d like the looks of the KDG ACR so I'll get one ordered this week.

I'll put the original firing pin back in ans keep the titanium one for a spare.

Lantac will get sold off and I'll put a can friendly device on there.

The Handl rail is actually pretty nice but since it came with the MI rail as well I may put that one on and recoup some of my money by selling the Handl setup.

Only thing I dont have is a rear BUIS, will a standard AR BUIS work with the factory front sight? Or will I need a new set of AR BUIS?

Quality pics to follow after Im done with my 10 day work stint.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Congrats on the new SCAR!

Rhino is right. Leading up to the last election I wanted to make sure I had everything to independently keep my SCARs running for a very long time, even though I have never had a single part break or wear out to date.

Since I started collecting spare parts those threads from Battlefield Las Vegas popped up and we all got to see just how durable the SCARs can be with very high round counts. Knowing what I know now if I were just starting off I would probably get a firing pin, bolt assembly, bolt cam pin, return spring, and call it good for a while.

It’s also worth getting some extra gas control screws. One of my favorite SCAR features is how easily you can tune the gas system with swapping out the different sized OEM gas control screws.

Here is the parts list I posted before. I focused on parts that seemed like they would be most likely to wear out (springs), or break (extractor/ejector) or get lost/damaged during cleaning, (various pins, screws, more small springs, etc.). I also focused on parts that would be hardest for me to find replacements for outside of FNH. For example, I’m not at all worried about spare trigger parts since my SCARs have Geisselle triggers and I still have the stock triggers as backups.

16S Unique Parts
F144200020 SCAR 16S Bolt Assembly
F144310010 FNH SCAR 16S Firing Pin
F144240020 FNH SCAR 16S Extractor
F144270010 FNH SCAR 16S Spring, Ejector
F144400010 FNH SCAR 16S Return Spring Assembly
F144430010 FNH SCAR 16S Return Spring
F144410010 FNH SCAR 16S Guide Rod

16S/17S Common Parts
F141290020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Gas regulator
F141200010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Gas Piston Assembly
F141220010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ring, Piston
F144220010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Spring, Extractor
F144260010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ejector
F000009190 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ejector Retaining Pin
F144250020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Extractor Pin
F144350010 SCAR 16/17 Firing Pin Retaining Pin Assembly
F144370010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S O-Ring
F144300010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Bolt Cam Pin
F145390010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Spring, Magazine Catch / Release
F005915020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Ball Bearing
F142310020 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Barrel Extension Screw
F144440010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Guide Rod Retaining Plate
F144420010 FNH SCAR 16S/17S Retaining Ring, Guide Rod
Assorted FNH SCAR 16S/17S Gas Control Screw 1.35 MM-1.95 MM

17S Unique Parts
F184200030 FNH SCAR 17 S Bolt Assembly, H/17S
F184310010 FNH SCAR 17 S Firing Pin
F184240010 FNH SCAR 17 S Extractor
F184270010 FNH SCAR 17 S Spring, Ejector
F184430010 FNH SCAR 17 S Return Spring
F184410010 SCAR 17S Guide Rod

Thanks Brett, that was the list I was thinking of.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Congrats - I measured the OEM rear sight and compared it to a Magpul Pro rear - they appear to my eye and measurement to be the same height.

For awhile I can the Pro on mine, but as I have a 2.5-10x24 NF scope on mine, I recently pulled it off, along with the OEM front and just have offset KACs and the scope.

The KDG rail is THE SHIT though, I prefer it to all tha I have handled. Light, thin, well made.

I had the rear screws on my receiver bend with the KDG stock, so I ditched that. Might not affect function, but I didn't like it happening.

The SCAR 17 is a great, light 308 - but it is easy to turn it into a pig if you aren't careful. Mine is 9.5# w/o suppressor, but was nearly 11# at one time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Congrats - I measured the OEM rear sight and compared it to a Magpul Pro rear - they appear to my eye and measurement to be the same height.

For awhile I can the Pro on mine, but as I have a 2.5-10x24 NF scope on mine, I recently pulled it off, along with the OEM front and just have offset KACs and the scope.

The KDG rail is THE SHIT though, I prefer it to all tha I have handled. Light, thin, well made.

I had the rear screws on my receiver bend with the KDG stock, so I ditched that. Might not affect function, but I didn't like it happening.

The SCAR 17 is a great, light 308 - but it is easy to turn it into a pig if you aren't careful. Mine is 9.5# w/o suppressor, but was nearly 11# at one time.

Yep, trying to keep this one trim. I actually like the KDG rail more than the MI but since I already have it I think I'll just run that. Does add half a pound though. After running my 716 DMR, 11bs would feel dainty.

Thanks for the info on the sight, I'll paly with a couple I have sitting around and see if they will line up.

Thats interesting on the ACR stock, have you heqard of this happening to anyone else?

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I had not seen that Handl rail before, it looks pretty neat.

I like how the KDG ACR stock looks but it has a lower cheek weld than the OEM SCAR stock which fits me very well so I haven't tried the ACR yet. I have also read a few reviews that it add quite a bit of weight compared with the OEM stock even though KDG lists it as being lighter.

My 17S SBR is right at 9lbs with the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 setup as pictured below. I don't want it to get any heavier since I carry it a decent distance on a few hunts. I could save some weight with a lighter optic but that NF scope is awesome and is a perfect fit for how I use the 17S so I don't want to give it up.

I have read some others with the ACR stock bending the screws. I believe it's a combination of the SCAR often being overgassed from the factory and the ACR using an aluminum adapter plate vs a polymer adapter plate on the OEM stock. This aluminum plate transfers all of the recoil energy from the BCG directly to those screws. With the gas system properly tuned I would imagine the issue is less prevalent. I've never had an issue with those screws on any of my 3 SCARs using the OEM stocks so I never really looked into it.

I have the KDG MLOK 4.9" rail on my 16" 16S and I like it a lot too. It does add a little over 3 ounces compared with the stock rail though. Not a huge deal but all those ounces do add up when trying to keep the SCAR from getting too beefy. I've been using the Magpul hand stop with the KDG rail and like it so far. The difference in lighter accessories with the improved KDG rail ergos vs the factory rail w/stubby vertical grip could make total weight difference negligible.

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Thats interesting on the ACR stock, have you heard of this happening to anyone else?

quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
... my rifle already had canted screws BEFORE I installed the ACR stock.

I have canted screws but mine came that way from the factory (as have reported some others) BEFORE I installed the ACR stock. The empirical opinion is that the aluminium ACR stock adapter is the root cause. The ACR stock works well for me with my ELCAN scope. It also doesn't rattle like the Ugg stock. I installed a smaller gas screw to reduce the over gassing and it should mitigate exacerbating the canted screw issue. I have not noticed any further canting or issues with my continued use of the ACR stock. YMMV.

I LOVE my KDG 4.9" MREX rail and recently added the KDG front ambi QD point for extra versatility. I also like my Kinect Mount for fast bipod or light attachment/detachment.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in with my 16.
Currently has an ACOG on it - but that's pending replacement with a red dot once funds allow.
I just recently (very recently) got my stamp back to allow me to SBR this thing.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
What's everybody running for gas control screw sizes? Here's the data on what I worked through with mine with a variety of ammo in case it helps others in the future. These numbers are all for OEM barrels and the ammo you normally shoot will of course affect things.

17S 16": 1.5mm (from factory, still a little overgassed, needs to go down a size)
17S 13": 1.5mm (was 1.65mm from factory, very overgassed)

16S 16": 1.40mm (from factory, runs great)
16S 10": 1.80mm (was 2.0mm from factory, also overgassed)

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Im basically going to down to a 2 gun rifle battery. As much as Id like to have an SBR 16, the cost and proprietary nature of the SCAR kept me in the DI AR camp. Then it came down to if I could only have one SCAR, should it be the 16 or 17. I believe the 17 is way ahead of any other semi 308 in terms of reliability, accuracy and weight. While the 16 may also be a leader in its class, I dont know if I would say its by the same margin the 17 leads by.

I also wanted to really light on my 5.56 so I narrowed it down to the MK18 and V7 S, ultimately I opted to give up some "bomb proofness" for a lighter weight package and went with the V7 S. Still waiting on the From 3 approval but should have it in a few weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
I'll chime in with my 16.
Currently has an ACOG on it - but that's pending replacement with a red dot once funds allow.
I just recently (very recently) got my stamp back to allow me to SBR this thing.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice. I had not seen that Handl rail before, it looks pretty neat.

I like how the KDG ACR stock looks but it has a lower cheek weld than the OEM SCAR stock which fits me very well so I haven't tried the ACR yet. I have also read a few reviews that it add quite a bit of weight compared with the OEM stock even though KDG lists it as being lighter.

My 17S SBR is right at 9lbs with the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 setup as pictured below. I don't want it to get any heavier since I carry it a decent distance on a few hunts. I could save some weight with a lighter optic but that NF scope is awesome and is a perfect fit for how I use the 17S so I don't want to give it up.

I have read some others with the ACR stock bending the screws. I believe it's a combination of the SCAR often being overgassed from the factory and the ACR using an aluminum adapter plate vs a polymer adapter plate on the OEM stock. This aluminum plate transfers all of the recoil energy from the BCG directly to those screws. With the gas system properly tuned I would imagine the issue is less prevalent. I've never had an issue with those screws on any of my 3 SCARs using the OEM stocks so I never really looked into it.

I have the KDG MLOK 4.9" rail on my 16" 16S and I like it a lot too. It does add a little over 3 ounces compared with the stock rail though. Not a huge deal but all those ounces do add up when trying to keep the SCAR from getting too beefy. I've been using the Magpul hand stop with the KDG rail and like it so far. The difference in lighter accessories with the improved KDG rail ergos vs the factory rail w/stubby vertical grip could make total weight difference negligible.

Ive got some numbers to play with. 9lbs with optics would be ideal but not sure if Im going to hit that. I may mix and match some parts and see what I can come up with. The Handl AFR is really nice I just dont care for the carbon fiber, visually. I do like the looks of the MI setup but its heavy. I can get the MREX for 230.00 but its another 230.00 I wasnt planning on spending. I paid 3300.00 shipped for this one which was more than I wanted to spend but I fugred once I sell all the parts I dont need I'll be sitting on a SCAR with upgrades I would have done anyways(lower/trigger/rail) for about what I could have bought a stock new one for. I'll give the factory stock a spin and see how it does.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's everybody running for gas control screw sizes? Here's the data on what I worked through with mine with a variety of ammo in case it helps others in the future. These numbers are all for OEM barrels and the ammo you normally shoot will of course affect things.

17S 16": 1.5mm (from factory, still a little overgassed, needs to go down a size)

Did these work well suppressed too?

posted Hide Post
quote:

Everything I've read states that the stock screw in the 16" 17 is 1.5mm. I went with 1.25mm firing 168gr PPU Match and 168gr FGMM. Suppressor is a SiCo Omega.

Unsuppressed and "-" = did not cycle
Suppressed and "-" = cycled
Unsuppressed and "+" = cycled
Suppressed and "+" = cycled

I'm going to try 1.20mm next. I want to find the floor and move up 0.05mm from that size.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
quote:

Everything I've read states that the stock screw in the 16" 17 is 1.5mm. I went with 1.25mm firing 168gr PPU Match and 168gr FGMM. Suppressor is a SiCo Omega.

Unsuppressed and "-" = did not cycle
Suppressed and "-" = cycled
Unsuppressed and "+" = cycled
Suppressed and "+" = cycled

I'm going to try 1.20mm next. I want to find the floor and move up 0.05mm from that size.

Have you chrono'd those loads? I'll be running the same setup and bullet weight and im curios as to what theyre leaving the barrel at.

Im assuming you fired multiple rounds on each setting to verify.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Did these work well suppressed too?

Yep.
Specwar 762 on the 16" 17S barrel.
Saker 762 on the 13" 17S barrel.
Saker 556 on both the 16S barrels.

Some of the older AAC cans that cause more back pressure may do better with slightly smaller GCS. It's easy enough to buy a selection of sizes and tune it at the range.

It's good to have some margin as hot + dirty or extremely cold temps affect function too. I'm running GCS that are typically ~0.1mm larger than the minimum function size for standard ammo in that rifle. My 16S SBR has been through several multi-day carbine classes without a hiccup. I cold soaked my 17S SBR for a couple hours in the bed of my truck on a snow laden drive to the range several years ago. It still ran like a top with the 1.5mm.

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com