SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Broke down and drank the SCAR kool aid
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broke down and drank the SCAR kool aid Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Did these work well suppressed too?

Yep.
Specwar 762 on the 16" 17S barrel.
Saker 762 on the 13" 17S barrel.
Saker 556 on both the 16S barrels.

Some of the older AAC cans that cause more back pressure may do better with slightly smaller GCS. It's easy enough to buy a selection of sizes and tune it at the range.

It's good to have some margin as hot + dirty or extremely cold temps affect function too. I'm running GCS that are typically ~0.1mm larger than the minimum function size for standard ammo in that rifle. My 16S SBR has been through several multi-day carbine classes without a hiccup. I cold soaked my 17S SBR for a couple hours in the bed of my truck on a snow laden drive to the range several years ago. It still ran like a top with the 1.5mm.

Yeah, we live in similar climates so thats good info.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
9lbs with optics would be ideal but not sure if Im going to hit that.

That is going to be tough with a non-NFA barrel and anything other than a light RDS. Depending on what Handl lower you have, going back to the OEM lower could help.

Both my SCARs are NFA length (13" and 10.5") - I tuned them a couple of years ago to run on anything except steel case stuff (both suppressed and un), so they are a little overgassed when shooting full up 7.52 or 5.56 but I'll take it. But the numbers are in the ballpark of what Brett B is posting. I think the 16 was 1.85 and the 17 was 1.45, but regardless his numbers will get you in the ballpark if you want to fine tune yours.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you chrono'd those loads? I'll be running the same setup and bullet weight and im curios as to what theyre leaving the barrel at.

Im assuming you fired multiple rounds on each setting to verify.

Here's what I have from testing a few years back, all measured with my Magnetospeed chrono.

17S 16” barrel:

Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain:
Min: 2482
Max: 2492
Average: 2487
S-D: 5
ES: 10

Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain:
Min: 2415
Max: 2436
Average: 2424
S-D: 8
ES: 21

Federal American Eagle 168 OTM M1A:
Min: 2474
Max: 2500
Average: 2487
S-D: 10
ES: 26

Hornady 155 OTM Match:
Min: 2564
Max: 2586
Average: 2577
S-D: N/A
ES: 22

Hornady 168 BTHP Match:
Min: 2500
Max: 2534
Average: 2512
S-D: 13
ES: 34

Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain Spire Point: (Hog hunting round)
Min: 2558
Max: 2589
Average: 2571
S-D: 11
ES: 31

17S 13" Barrel:

Hornady 155 OTM Match:
Min: 2384
Max: 2427
Average: 2402
S-D: 16
ES: 43

Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain Spire Point:
Min: 2375
Max: 2443
Average: 2414
S-D: 24
ES: 68

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
9lbs with optics would be ideal but not sure if Im going to hit that.

That is going to be tough with a non-NFA barrel and anything other than a light RDS. Depending on what Handl lower you have, going back to the OEM lower could help.

Both my SCARs are NFA length (13" and 10.5") - I tuned them a couple of years ago to run on anything except steel case stuff (both suppressed and un), so they are a little overgassed when shooting full up 7.52 or 5.56 but I'll take it. But the numbers are in the ballpark of what Brett B is posting. I think the 16 was 1.85 and the 17 was 1.45, but regardless his numbers will get you in the ballpark if you want to fine tune yours.

yeah, highly doubtful. No going back to the other lower now. The savings from buying a compliment Pmags vs SCAR mags has made the Handl free. This one is geared more towards the further out shooting more than anything else so while I dont want another 15lb monster, Im not going completely bare on it.

Im going to order a set of valves and run my handloads and the Federal MSR loads over my Magneto and report back but Im greatly appreciative of all the technical data supplied here as reference/starting point.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Came in at 9lb 15oz with mag, sans optic/bipod. Even at 10 lbs it certainly didnt feel like it in the hands.

posted Hide Post
If you keep the SCAR around 10# or less, it feels great.

I have also noticed it's very susceptible to center of balance issues - when you have a heavier optic up top, makes the weapon prone to tilting. I had a 26oz IOR and 9 oz mount and it tilted bad when moving the weapon - if I keep it <18oz or so it feels fine. Just my experience, I'm sure the metal lower will do something to offset that.

Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Nice setup creslin. What rail is that? I had been planning on putting the KDG MREX on my 10.5" SCAR16, but I don't think they're going to ever come out with that. I love the MREX on my 13" SCAR17.

quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
I'll chime in with my 16.
Currently has an ACOG on it - but that's pending replacement with a red dot once funds allow.
I just recently (very recently) got my stamp back to allow me to SBR this thing.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish KDG would make good on their MREX for 10" SCAR 16s... but it's been 2+ years, so I guess they shelved the idea.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
That's one nice looking setup WARPIG! I've not seen one exactly like it.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
Best location to find all these spare parts...is it direct from fn or other distributor. Or is the cost about the same as buying a new rifle and just using it as a parts gun?

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get most parts from Midwest gun works. very reliable but really need to wait till they have it in stock (use the notice system) for it to work. FN direct simply is horrible.
I vote in almost all cases that a backup gun is cheaper.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Looks good WARPIG! Do you have 2 charging handles on both sides or did you switch sides between pics?

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
2 charging handles, DUO from High Desert Dog

Gave this thing a face lift and shaved off some more weight. Now wearing an MREX and KDG ACR stock, the lightest available as far as I know.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Got to spend some quality time with the SCARs at the range today. I think I have these two setup just right now (for me at least) in terms of grips and sling mount positions. It was wet and rainy all day and both haven't been cleaned in a long time but the SCARs don't care, they just keep on running running running.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
And done. Made a few changes and pretty happy with now:

posted Hide Post
quote:
And done. Made a few changes and pretty happy with now:

Very nice - but I'm biased as that's very similar to mine.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sick setup. Very well done.

Let me know how you like the 1-8 Accupower. I looked through one at SHOT and liked what I saw.