SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger PC Carbine Owners - A heads up. UPDATE 8-5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger PC Carbine Owners - A heads up. UPDATE 8-5 Login/Join 
posted
I know that there some Ruger PC Carbine owners here on SF, so I thought I would pass on some info about a situation that arose With my PC. After its last range session, I broke down the gun to clean it. Upon re-assembly, try as I might, I could not get the bolt to drop down into the receiver far enough to allow the trigger group to fit back into the receiver. I tinkered around with the bolt and trigger group for a while before I discovered the problem. The recoil buffer was not seating properly on the recoil spring guide and this was just enough error to keep the whole thing from going back together. When I looked closely at the assembled recoil spring guide, spring and recoil buffer, I saw they were held in place by a small nylon retainer clip, similar to a c-clip. The flexible nature of the clip (or slop) allowed the recoil spring and guide to not seat properly and this was just enough to keep the trigger group from going back into place. Once I got to looking at this clip and the buffer, it became pretty clear that Ruger went 100% cheap with these parts. Especially since the bolt slams into them when the gun fires. I felt the nylon clip was the weakest link in the assembly and could not possibly be a long term wear resistant part. The recoil buffer just seems to be a hard chunk of nylon and I wondered about its durability, too. As all good gun plumbers do, I intergooogled the problem and eventually arrived here:
www.mcarbo.com
These guys make a lot of upgraded parts for various guns and the PC Carbine was included. They make a stainless steel clip that replaces the Ruger factory clip. They also had designed an upgraded recoil buffer they claim is superior to the OEM buffer. I ordered both parts. Shipping was prompt. When I received the parts, it does appear they are far superior to the OEM stuff. Fitting the parts to the recoil spring and was easy and fit was excellent. The gun function checks 100% but I have not shot it with the new parts yet. I will do a range report when I do and I hope to hit the range later this week.
Fellow PC owners may want to look at your recoil spring system and buffer and see what you think.
UPDATE: Just got back from the range. Ran 100 rounds of varied weight ball and HP ammo through the gun. 100% function.
The MCARBO folks claim a recoil reduction with their buffer. Ummm.... Couldnt prove it by me!
Look like installing the MCARBO parts was a good decision!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks the heads up on this. I look forward to your range report.

Posts: 17053 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on this.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. if the bolt slams into it when it fires, is it now causing any issues with a steel clip rather than nylon?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The clip is inset into the recoil buffer so it does not impact anything when the bolt retracts after firing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Good to know. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. I think I'll go ahead and order the parts.

Posts: 17053 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently installed a whole pile of M*Carbo and Tandemkross parts on my PC Carbine, amongst others. I have yet to shoot it yet with the new goodies, but I'm not expecting an earth shattering difference, I just wanted to tinker.

Current setup is:

Vortex Venom holographic sight
ADM QD mount
Cataylst Arms Hardpoint Kit
Arisaka Scout Mount
Streamlight Pro-Tac Scout Light
Midwest Industies Charging Handle
M*Carbo Extended Magazine Release
M*Carbo Exact Edge Extractor
M*Carbo Tool Steel Bolt Head Pins & Extractor Pin Kit
M*Carbo Stainless Steel Recoil Spring Retainer
M*Carbo Shock Buffer
M*Carbo Flat Trigger
TandemKross Upgraded Stainless Steel Receiver Krosspins

Basically shit-canned everything plastic and cheap feeling in the entire working mechanism of the rifle, should be setup for a lifetime of service at this point.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Got a pic?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do, I just don’t have them uploaded somewhere I can link.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Upgraded mine with M Carbo Flat trigger, SS Spring Retainer, Shock Buffer and Charging Handle.
TandemKross Fiber Optic Front sight.
Sig Romeo 5 which allows you to use the iron sights.

The "best" upgrade was the TandemKross Front sight. Bonus is Sig Romeo5 sits high.
https://www.tandemkross.com/Fi...%E2%84%A2_p_606.html

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post