SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Nikon Scopes - Prostaff v Monarch - Update: Ordered a Monarch - Update 2: It's here!
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Nikon Scopes - Prostaff v Monarch - Update: Ordered a Monarch - Update 2: It's here! Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Picked up a .270 Tikka T3x for Christmas & am doing some research on scopes.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...320005614#5320005614
It'll wear a Nikon, as I have a huge discount available on them.

So, anyone have some good knowledge on if there is a big difference in the Prostaff 5 vs the Monarch 5? The 2 I'm looking at right now are ~90 difference MSRP, so not a big deal either way.
They are pretty similar spec
Monarch: 3-15x50
Monarch 5
Prostaff: 3.5-14x50
Prostaff 5

Is it worth the extra $100 for the Monarch?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest difference is that the Monarch 5 has ED glass and the Prostaff 5 does not. The second difference is that the Monarch is a 5X zoom, whereas the Prostaff is a 4X zoom.

Those are not big differences but I happen to like ED glass a lot. All my Nikkor lenses have ED glass and my newest riflescope, the March-X also. ED glass is critical for great pictures but for a riflescope, most people would not know the difference, unless they know what to look for. If you shoot targets and you are trying to be very precise on target, the chromatic aberration reduction of ED glass will make the lines and circles on the target crisper. For me, at long range that helps me set the target dot more precisely.

As for the increased zoom range, well it just means it's newer technology. There is nothing wrong with a 4X zoom, 5X zoom is more state of the art.

For Nikon rifle scopes, the Monarch is the top of the line, the Prostaff is the entry level, and the Buckmaster is the middle offering. That said, the Prostaff is a heck of a good scope in its own right, but I would go for the Monarch, just for the ED glass alone.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, wasn't too sure what the ED glass on the Monarch was exactly.
Still debating on my magnification range, my Marlin 336 has a cheap Simmons 3-9x40 that works, but a bit more would be nice & would make it better for more than just a hunting rifle.

Also wasn't aware that the Prostaff was situated below the Buckmasters. Looking on the Nikon site, they now have the Buckmasters II & only have 2 models available.

Step 3 in the process will be rings. With a 50mm scope, will Burris medium rings be high enough? Or will the small height rings suffice?

posted Hide Post
I think the Buckmaster line is being discontinued. The Prostaff have become extremely good scopes and that kind of eliminated the need for the Buckmaster.

They have some specialty lines, but the Monarch and the Prostaff are the main ones.

The difference between the Simmons and the Prostaff, let alone the Monarch will be impressive. I have a Simmons 3-9X40 on a 22, and it an ok scope but it's really junk when compared to a real scope.

The 15X will represent an increase of 66% in magnification from the Simmons. That's going to make quite a difference.

I don't know about the rings, but you have the objective size, add another 6mm to the diameter for the total. My gut feel is that medium may not be high enough.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. Looking more at the Monarch line, Monarch 5 in particular, as it seems the Monarch 3 & 7 don't have the ED glass & I don't particularly care for the BDC options. Nikoplex or fine crosshair would be my preference; with low light early morning & late afternoon hunting situations, I think the Nikoplex may be easier to see with less light.

Decision now, is what magnification to go with. Average shots where we hunt are 60-250 yards at my spot, with a few places that stretch out to 300-450.
I think a 3-15x50 would be sufficient. Just depends on availability through my Nikon guy.

posted Hide Post
Well, now that you're asking. There is a M5 4-20X50 with Nikoplex:
http://www.nikonsportoptics.co...ustom-xr-turret.html

That means the lower scale is 4X instead of the 3X you're considering, but the top end is 33% more than the 15X in the one you're considering.

The bottom end is similar but the top end will allow you to be very precise at longer ranges. For a .308, my favorite range is something in the mid single digits to something near 20x or above. (I don't have a .270, sorry.) This 5X zoom starting at 4X is just the ticket. And it has ED glass.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
If you're concerned with low light capability, you can do yourself a BIG favor and look for an illuminated reticle.
While hunting in low light, seeing the game is much easier than seeing a black reticle on that same animal.

The Prostaff you linked has the reticle but not the glass of the Monarch. For hunting, I know which would be more important for me.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Considering I rarely shot at 3x on my 3-9x40 336 & typically was somewhere around 4-6x, I think the 4-20x would work.
Going to come down the pricing, between these 2 now, at the moment:

Monarch 5 3-15x50ED

Monarch 5 4-20x50ED

posted Hide Post
KMitch200 makes an excellent point. My Nikon Tactical has an illuminated reticle which I did put to good use, at midnight on a moonlight hog hunt. However, I will say that the clarity of the 44mm objective at 2.5X was the big factor here. The illuminated reticle was a bonus, but I could see the reticle even if not illuminated. That said, for dawn to dusk hunting, I did not have the reticle illuminated.

The Monarch 5 comes in low ends from 2X to 6X, with the corresponding 5X zoom top ends.

ETA: I still can't believe they have ED glass at those prices. Nikon makes its own glass, including the ED stuff so I guess they can produce it at a good price.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Put in for a quote on the 2 I posted above.
We'll see what the prices come back as.

Hopefully I can get it ordered & on the rifle in a week or two.

posted Hide Post
As other's have stated, there is a huge difference in optical quality between the MONARCH 5 and the PROSTAFF 5. I have been using a MONARCH 5 4-20 for the past 6 months and it is my go to longrange rifle now. I recently put a MONARCH 5 3-15 on my .300 Win hunting rifle and picked up a great KS buck with it. The price difference between the 2 scopes is pretty significant as well. If you have the opportunity to get a deal I would say jump on the MONARCH 5 scope. I plan to get Custom turret's for my scope dialed in to my ammo and shooting conditions.

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd pay the difference for the Monarch every time. ED glass makes a real difference.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just sent my order in for the Monarch 5 ED 4-20x50
Hopefully the turnaround is quick.

posted Hide Post
Bart940; nice setup.

P250UA5; Did you get it yet? Pictures, man. Pictures.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Bart940; nice setup.

P250UA5; Did you get it yet? Pictures, man. Pictures.

Waiting on order confirmation so I can send payment, going through an intermediary to a Nikon rep for a huge discount off of MSRP.

Pics will be provided when I get it in & get some rings to get it mounted.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Still waiting.....
Parents got me a little spotting scope/monocular for my birthday. Should come in handy when I go to sight it in.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay -- I'm leaning toward the Monarch 5 4-20x50 as well for an AR to shoot out to 300 yards. I looked at Leupold and didn't find anything comparable for similar prices (at least not that I could find -- too, too many products).

The Trijicon Accupower 4-16x50 sounds interesting but not sure about relative optical quality. Scopes are not Trijicon's primary product line....? Seems like online comments are that Trijicon is go-to for ACOG but not necessarily for vari-power scopes. Although I do like the MOA reticle.

So, leaning toward the Nikon at this point. Waiting for a sale at an authorized dealer......

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You will be very happy with the Nikon MONARCH 5, outstanding glass and features. I hate to throw a wrench into your thinking but Nikon has just come out with a brand new series of scopes. Nikon,Black! They have been getting lots of interest at Shot Show. MOA and MRAD illuminated Reticles for the longrange shooter. You guy's have been asking for this kind of scope from Nikon for 2 years and now it's finally here. A number of option's to choose from too. I don't know prices yet but I think they are under $900.

16383 4-16x50SF BLACK X1000 IL X-MRAD
Full Multilayer Coatings maximize light transmission, brightness and contrast
Lead-and-arsenic-free glass is used for all lenses
Glass-etched ranging reticle located in the Second Focal Plane, the reticle can be used to estimate range, target size, elevation holdover and wind-drift at designated magnification
Side-Focus Parallax Adjustment
4x Zoom
Generous, Consistent Eye Relief
Quick Focus Eyepiece
30mm Main Body Tube
Elevated Windage & Elevation Turrets
Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
Waterproof/Fogproof/Shockproof
Sunshade included
Compatible with Spot On Custom Turrets

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice Smile

For those who are uninitiated, what would be the primary differences between the 5 and the Black?

5: ED glass, 5x
Black: MOA reticle, 4x

???

Net, dollar for dollar, which would you recommend for something around 4-20x?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not gotten my grubby hands on a Nikon BLACK scope yet but I keep hearing positives. I have sent 100+ rounds under 2 MONARCH 5 scopes and they are the cat's ass. Clear, bright and can take some abuse. My son tossed the gun in a soft case in the back of my Polaris while we went over hill and dale for 5 miles to our blind. I was not happy but after he dropped a doe at just over 200 yards my worries were gone. Again, not having more real hands on knowledge with the BLACK scope I don't want to steer you wrong. The Black riflescope series is built around what longrange shooter's have been asking for for 2 years. It took Nikon that long to produce a scope they felt checked all the boxes for longrange shooting.

Bart