SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Nikon Scopes - Prostaff v Monarch - Update: Ordered a Monarch - Update 2: It's here!
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Nikon Scopes - Prostaff v Monarch - Update: Ordered a Monarch - Update 2: It's here! Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bart, those pics are making me anxious!
Going to have to send an email to see if there's any update. Put in the order almost 2 weeks ago...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15278 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
lol, the MONARCH 5's have been a hot ticket since hitting the ground 7 months ago. The 3-15 on my .300 Win is perfect for my shooting style from TX to KS. I'll follow up with you guy's after I get my hands on a Nikon BLACK riflescope. I should probably start saving as it's my guess that I'm not going to want to give it back!

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I went with a Nikoplex 4-20x50. Just excited to get it in my hands so I can get it to the range.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If I get the Monarch 5 4-20x50 for my AR, am I going to want the ADM Recon or Recon-H given the 50mm objective? (especially w/ lens covers?).

I assume I don't need the Recon-X.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If I get the Monarch 5 4-20x50 for my AR, am I going to want the ADM Recon or Recon-H given the 50mm objective? (especially w/ lens covers?).

I assume I don't need the Recon-X.

Mine's going on a Tikka .270, so not sure. Not even sure what height rings I'll need. Waiting til the scope comes in, then I'll figure that part out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bart940:
You will be very happy with the Nikon MONARCH 5, outstanding glass and features. I hate to throw a wrench into your thinking but Nikon has just come out with a brand new series of scopes. Nikon,Black! They have been getting lots of interest at Shot Show. MOA and MRAD illuminated Reticles for the longrange shooter. You guy's have been asking for this kind of scope from Nikon for 2 years and now it's finally here. A number of option's to choose from too. I don't know prices yet but I think they are under $900.

16383 4-16x50SF BLACK X1000 IL X-MRAD
Full Multilayer Coatings maximize light transmission, brightness and contrast
Lead-and-arsenic-free glass is used for all lenses
Glass-etched ranging reticle located in the Second Focal Plane, the reticle can be used to estimate range, target size, elevation holdover and wind-drift at designated magnification
Side-Focus Parallax Adjustment
4x Zoom
Generous, Consistent Eye Relief
Quick Focus Eyepiece
30mm Main Body Tube
Elevated Windage & Elevation Turrets
Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
Waterproof/Fogproof/Shockproof
Sunshade included
Compatible with Spot On Custom Turrets

The Nikon website shows that scope's MSRP to be $499. It looks like a very nice scope indeed and I hope they will produce it in other magnifications.

I notice that it does not have ED glass and it's a 4X zoom. For this thread, I think the Monarch 5 is a better choice, if it ever shows up, of course.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- will still keep searching for M5 4-20x50 on sale then Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I do agree that ED (my iphone corrected ED to HD glass which is a mistake and it has now been corrected, Thank you NU for letting me know) glass is pretty awesome. Best of luck finding your MONATCH 5 4-20 BDC. Post some pics when you do!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bart940,

Bart

Posts: 58 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 25, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do agree that HD glass is pretty awesome. Best of luck finding your M5 4-20. Post some pics when you do!

I know I'm going to get hit for this, but it's not HD glass (never heard of it, maybe High Definition, marketing hype) but ED glass (Extra low dispersion, a very specific purpose,) essentially the same as fluorite glass, without the price and the inherent fragility.

posted Hide Post
NU, You are right, typing on my phone with autocorrect caused the mistake. Thank you for the correction. I was not aware that ED glass is not as strong as other types of glas. I know Nikon has never had issues with their ED glass product's but just in case you do have Nikon's No Fault Policy covering your purchase.

Bart

posted Hide Post
quote:
NU, You are right, typing on my phone with autocorrect caused the mistake. Thank you for the correction. I was not aware that ED glass is not as strong as other types of glas. I know Nikon has never had issues with their ED glass product's but just in case you do have Nikon's No Fault Policy covering your purchase.

Hi Bart940. I think I gave you the wrong impression but ED glass is not fragile, unlike fluorite glass which is.

And autocorrect is the bane of my existence; I have disabled it on my smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc. I leave autosuggest enabled, but not autocorrect; all errors are mine. And since I make plenty, I don't want these devices to make even more for me.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just got word that my M5 has been ordered. No word on shipping yet, but at least the ball is rolling!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Just got word that my M5 has been ordered. No word on shipping yet, but at least the ball is rolling!

Well, as long as you're not a pin and it's not a bowling ball....

I know, spare me!

Still waiting for those pictures. Smile

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Well, as long as you're not a pin and it's not a bowling ball....

I know, spare me!

Still waiting for those pictures. Smile

Forthcoming as soon as the box hits my doorstep.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Glad I tucked into this thread.
Looks like I will be picking up the Nikon Black X1000 6-24 in the future.

I have a Prostaff 4-12 on my .270 and just picked up a Prostaff Rimfire II 4-12 for my .22. I could not be happier with these optics. I am looking at doing a 6.5 Creedmoor and been grumbly that Nikon did not offer an illuminated reticle.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good news! My M5 is on its way!
But, I'll be on a boat in the Caribbean when it gets to my doorstep. Photos & box opening thoughts to follow on the week of 2/13.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bump & update:
Uncle has the M5 in his hands & should be in the mail today or tomorrow.
Dallas > Houston, should be here in a couple days.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon Monarch X in 4-16x50. I'm very pleased with it. I took it off of one of my AR's and just put in on my Savage 10BA Stealth in 6.5 Creedmore.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Report This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I had a Nikon Monarch 2x7x32mm on one of my AR-15's and it worked just fine.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Report This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Out for delivery today! Hopefully I can go pick up some rings tomorrow & get it mounted tomorrow afternoon. Eek