SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin 336 gets a minor update.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 336 gets a minor update. Login/Join 
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted
I've had this rifle for some time, since dad gave it to me a decade ago. My uncle had gotten it at a Charlotte, NC gunshow around 1998 for $125 and scoped it so dad would have a deer rifle at his place.

I've always enjoyed it, but it has sat "neglected" in the safe, and not paid much attention. I seemed to have obsessed over AR's too much the past few years and ignored this classic for the most part. This past weekend, I helped a friend at a gunshow and he had a NOS Aimpoint 9000 that he gave me for working the table. Seems fitting that I just bought a farm in KY, and figured this will be my sidekick on the tractor/horse.

1975 Marlin 336, gold trigger and straight stock, with a lot of honest patina and wear that shines through with character.

I've gifted most of my 30-30 ammo the past few months to friend here in Alaska who were desperate for some, except my Hornady 160gr Leverevolutions, because I have a fair amount of components for this rifle to load up some fun rounds. Still wish I had stocked up on remington/winchester 150gr stuff when it was $12/box here at Walmart before this craziness started last year.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks good.
My 336 (a 30AW) is one I'll never part with.
Haven't used it much since getting my Tikka, actually have been thinking of un-scoping it & putting some quality irons on it & a better (1-piece) trigger.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Very nice. A perfect rifle for my neck of the woods.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

.30-30? .35 Rem?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Very nice!

.30-30? .35 Rem?

30-30

I really want to find a nice older .444 as well.

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Awesome straight-stocked 336! It's got the skinny handguard, too, which I prefer. Looks like it's seen some honest use, and ought to keep delivering for years to come!

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice. I wish I could leave the scopes off my leverguns, but I don't see well enough any more for that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great gun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
One of my biggest regrets was trading my 1983 336CS 30-30 with Mequon Benchrest hand loading dies a long time ago. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Nice. I wish I could leave the scopes off my leverguns, but I don't see well enough any more for that.

I tried too as well but if it hadn’t been for getting this aimpoint for free, it would be irons only.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Very nice classic Marlin but I was hoping for a Ruger product announcement. Wink

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle. Scope looks like it's on backwards to me with that straight eyepiece.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nice Texan- my favorite version of the 336. I have the saddle ring version.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. The 336 is a great gun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Man, put that dot on one of your ARs and get yourself a proper receiver sight!

I’m partial to Lyman but I put a skinner on my Texan in 35 rem and so far so good!

Have a ranger point precision on my 1895 45-70.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
That's a nice straight stocked Texan you've got there. I do enjoy the Marlins ability to mount an optic on the flat top.

Here's my 1964 in .35Rem, with a 2-7 Leupold on it.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:

I’m partial to Lyman but I put a skinner on my Texan in 35 rem and so far so good!

This isn’t a red dot meant for AR’s, it’s that long for mounting on rifles such as this or bolt actions. Wink

If I wanted iron’s, it would stay stock.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zacsquatch:
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:

This isn’t a red dot meant for AR’s, it’s that long for mounting on rifles such as this or bolt actions. Wink

If I wanted iron’s, it would stay stock.

It's a gorgeous rifle and the red dot makes it a very practical shooter!

Lots of people have come into my local FFL looking for "battle worn" firearm coatings. Have you thought about doing the same to the scope and rings to match the receiver? Love the patina it has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEVMhz4P9hs

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
That one has been loved a lot. Nice rifle.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post