SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best Starter/Youth .22 Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Starter/Youth .22 Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I bought a CZ 455 Scout to teach my daughter how to shoot.

The CZ 457 Scout is essentially the same gun, just some updates.

The Scout is a great little .22 rifle. It uses CZ's normal .22 action with a 16" threaded barrel in a stock with a short length of pull.

The stock is not too small for an adult to shoot reasonably comfortably, but when your kid grows up, if you want, you can buy a full-size CZ stock and easily swap the barreled action into it.

The 16" barrel is handy for keeping the rifle compact and well balanced for young shooters. Given it's threaded, it's also a nice length because it's still reasonably handy with a suppressor mounted.

A lot of people don't like teaching kids to shoot with repeating firearms. The CZ .22s are normally magazine fed. If you prefer a non-repeating firearm, CZ does sell a little plastic dummy magazine that basically turns it into a single-shot bolt gun that has to be loaded one round at a time by dropping a round into the open action.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Ordered a CZ 457 Scout today. It looks like it comes with the single shot adapter and you can buy additional magazines if you want. Looks like a quality piece with room to grow. I look forward to playing with it until they are ready.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin youth bolt action. Great little rifle for kids.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
This one here
22 Precision Rifle

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think it would be hard to be a Savage Rascal for the littlest ones and either a Savage or CZ as they get a little older. A 22 revolver can also be a lot of fun, but must watch that muzzle and booger picker.

FWIW, I learned to shoot the hard way on a S&W 57 and 19 both with hot hand loaded wadcutters and in that order. Do not do that to your kids.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
Thanks all. Ordered a CZ 457 Scout today. It looks like it comes with the single shot adapter and you can buy additional magazines if you want. Looks like a quality piece with room to grow. I look forward to playing with it until they are ready.

You chose well.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
My daughter is 18. When she was 9, I bought her a Marlin 15Y 22LR bolt gun in pink camo. This is a single shot that can shoot short, long, and LR. Best money I ever spent! It sits in the safe now waiting on grandkids. My suggestion would be to find a youth model bolt 22 something with open sights!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the little CZ .22s.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Remington 514 single shots in the safe for teaching kids. I think a Ruger American compact would be a good learning rifle too.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post