SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best Starter/Youth .22 Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Starter/Youth .22 Rifle Login/Join 
Back in Black
posted
I am looking to pick up something for my girls to get them started shooting. I also don;t have a .22 rifle currently, so it will do double duty until they are ready. My plan is to start them off with an air rifle and if they do well, move on to the .22. They are ages 7 and 8 now. I was originally thinking some type of 10/22 like the Compact, but the single shot models like the Savage Rascal seem pretty good as well. I would prefer something with decent peep-type sights and a small stock given their size.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I would look at the Browning BL-22. Working the lever is more deliberate than "spray and pray". Nothing against the 10/22, I have one too.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
CZ 455 Scout.

Can upgrade the stock to fullsize later on, so it can grow with them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Do they come in pink? Have found that is a big attraction for that age group.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A S&W M&P 15-22 has peep sights and a collapsible stock, which can start off fully collapsed and adjust up as they grow. Plus it builds AR platform familiarization.

It's an ideal starter rifle, since it will be useful from the beginning to well into their shooting life, unlike something like a single shot children's .22 that they'll quickly outgrow (both in size and skills).

However, they may need that very small child's .22, like a Rascal or Cricket, at the very beginning. The 15-22 is light, but even a full collapsed AR could be too big for a 7 year old. However, if that turns out to be the case, the 15-22 would be an ideal second rifle once they grow a little. Or, you could just stick to the air rifle for a year or two before starting them on the 15-22.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oh, and yes, it's available in pink.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
CZ 455 Scout.

Can upgrade the stock to fullsize later on, so it can grow with them.

This would get my vote. I like a box-fed bolt action for teaching kids...I have a Marlin Glenfield 25 that I use for that purpose. The only real difficulty with it is that the stock is pretty long. The nice thing about the CZ Scout is it has a shorter LOP, and as Rhino pointed out, the stock can be replaced with a full-size as the child grows into it.

Semi-autos have a tendency to turn into a bullet hose, and as a result the kid learns how to expend ammo, but very little about the fundamentals of marksmanship. And while I'm a huge fan of lever-actions, they don't bench as well as a bolt-action, and I don't like that most have to be loaded from near the muzzle, which is counter-intuitive when you're trying to teach safe weapon handling and muzzle discipline. IMO lever guns are a better choice for bigger kids who have mastered the basics off of a bench and are ready to start shooting offhand.

As to the Crickets and other multi-colored kid rifles....they're ok if you're looking for a disposable teaching aid. But the CZ Scout is a quality rifle that will last the kid a lifetime, can grow with them (with a new stock), and will be something they can shoot years from now with their own kids and tell them about how grandpa taught them to shoot on it.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A S&W M&P 15-22 has peep sights and a collapsible stock, which can start off fully collapsed and adjust up as they grow. Plus it builds AR platform familiarization.

It's an ideal starter rifle, since it will be useful from the beginning to well into their shooting life, unlike something like a single shot children's .22 that they'll quickly outgrow (both in size and skills).

However, they may need that very small child's .22, like a Rascal or Cricket, at the very beginning. The 15-22 is light, but even a full collapsed AR could be too big for a 7 year old. However, if that turns out to be the case, the 15-22 would be an ideal second rifle once they grow a little. Or, you could just stick to the air rifle for a year or two before starting them on the 15-22.

This or a 10/22 carbine that you could modify with them as they grow.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I'll add that I have several options.

CZ 452 was their starter rifle.

From there we moved on to the Ruger 10/22 (with lightweight Tacsol barrel) and an S&W M&P-15/22 once fundamentals were down. It also gives it some 'fun' to shoot fast, etc. Because if you are just all slow and the fun lapses, they won't want to come back.

Now they also shoot my CZ455 / 17HMR for a little more 'bang' and are about to step up to 5.56 AR15s from the bench (age 12 now, been shooting a couple years).

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
MY kids have a Cricket that they haven't had to the range yet.
Single shot, requires it to be cocked after being loaded.

My first 22 was a Marlin 60. Many thousands of rounds through it & that I can recall, still all original parts.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions, I appreciate it. I am really liking the CZ 455 Scout. Seems they were discontinued recently.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Look at a Henry youth lever .22. I have the full size H001 model and It is a great shooter.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
Lots of good suggestions, I appreciate it. I am really liking the CZ 455 Scout. Seems they were discontinued recently.
Yeah, the modified the rifle to an American style safety on the side of the receiver with the 457, which has a Scout as well.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-scout/

posted Hide Post
Used Marlin 39. If you can find one. Or a new Henry.
Levers are fun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Second on Marlins. Preferably older models if you can find them, model 60s, 925, papoose, 981t etc. I love my CZ513 basic but good luck finding those anymore.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Marlin Model 60. My Henry Golden boy 22 lever action is great, but way too heavy with the octagonal barrel. Too heavy for a youngster, but fun to play like you are Lucas Mccain.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.budsgunshop.com/pr...ood+stock+5+1+(02335)
Shipped with a single shot adapter to teach ammo conservation, any 457/455 magazine will fit, from 5 to 25 rounds.

posted Hide Post
I really like the Savage Rascal as a first rifle for kids that age. My daughter was 7 when she started with hers. Small and light enough that they can learn to be responsible with all aspects of gun handling. Simple enough that they can still have fun while learning. My daughter moved up to a Collector Series 10/22 with the compact stock insert when she was 10.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Henry Youth Mini Bolt - these are one of the best starter guns for the youngsters! Stainless, durable, fantastic sights, sized right and bolt action to teach them to focus on the one round they have. Both of our kids started on them. Our daughter wanted hers to be different, so she decorated the stock with colored duct tape. Now they offer a pink camo version it looks like. Priced affordably as well.
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mini-bolt-youth/

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Started my son on a CZ 452 Scout, he still has it. It is a real non-toy bolt action rifle, well made. The sights weren't the greatest, but the bolt action rifle taught him patience and marksmanship. He eventually went on to an Anschutz 1903 Jr., and put a Nikon scope on the Scout. The new 457 Scout looks great, seems to be an improved model.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post